(10-28-2005) Bob Geldof named Nobel Man of Peace - The Scotsman*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bob Geldof named Nobel Man of Peace

Bob Geldof has been named this year's Man of Peace by winners of the Nobel Peace Prize.

The title is bestowed annually for "an outstanding contribution to international social justice and peace".

The Live 8 organiser and former Boomtown Rats star will be presented with the title at the World Summit of Nobel Laureates in Rome.

He will receive the award from previous Nobel Peace Prize winner and former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev on November 24.

Geldof, 54, said: "I am overwhelmed and deeply proud to receive this award from such an esteemed and exceptional collection of individuals.

"It reaffirms the progress made by Live 8 and the Make Poverty History campaign and underlines the unwavering support for its aims internationally."

A spokesperson for The Gorbachev Foundation and the World Summit of Nobel Laureates, which is behind the award, said: "The Man for Peace Peace Prize has been given to Bob Geldof for his unflagging work and powerful voice on behalf of the poor of Africa over the last 20 years and in particular the last 12 months.

"He has harnessed world opinion to make political leaders act immediately, improving the lives of millions."

© Copyright Press Association Ltd 2005, All Rights Reserved.
http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2156862005

Thanks SD!

yes...Bono's done a lot more than organizing live aids
And Bono encouraged Bob to organize Live 8
Dont really fucking understand, im really fucking :angry:

Why would they give this to Bob Geldof? Do people just ignore ALL of the work that Bono has done and continues to do? Im not saying that Geldof didn't deserve to win just that perhaps Bono deserved it more.

Hm, the Boomtown Rat never have been that succesful.

U2 is more succesful than any other band in the world.

So the try to equal out ;)

Actually, I don't understand the decision either.
What did Geldof do the last 12 months except organising Live8 together with Bono and others?

But nevertheless he deserves the prize, and Bono has some years to come he will be given those prizes.

I know it's gauche to seek awards for charity work, and it's probably even more gauche to seek awards for other people for their charity work, but I wish Bono had gotten some recognition, too.

I suppose the committee was giving ample consideration to the fact that Live Aid was Geldof's idea, and he's been working on the issues ever since. Bono has been an immense help, but he became involved with the cause through Geldof.

Come on now, we all know that Bob Geldof is very deserving of this. Congratulations to him. :applaud:

Bono doesn't automatically get every single award on the planet, folks. I realize we're all biased here, but there ARE other people in the world doing things at least as great as Bono.

way back in 1984 it was Bob Geldof watching a BBC1 news programme about the famine in Africa, and he was disgusted that people were left to die in such conditions and the world and the politicians didn't seem to care, and he felt he had to do something about it hence he and midge ure wrote on the charity song feed the world let them know its christmas time, in an attempt to get people attention to the African plight, getting all the big names of the music business together including U2

it steam rollered into the live aid concert which U2 took part and it was during this that Bono became aware of the problem and took on the cause too,

But Bob Geldolf was already angry and passionate and trying to do something, and he wasnt giving a toss about public opinion, or popularity he just wanted peope in Africa to stop dying and for the world to take notice.

I am not saying Bono doesnt deserve the recognition for all he has done, and its a shame they didnt give him some sort of award

but Bob Geldolf has always been in the background and Bono himself will admit he is the inspiration, to get things done, that is why Bono was determined to get Geldolf involved in Live 8

and I know for a fact that both men would happily give up any award they won and would much prefer if the problem in Africa was put to an end instead,

That would be the greatest reward you could give both of them

Very simply, Bono has so much more and is far more deserving of this honour than Bob Geldof.

Very strange decision. :huh:

Bob is definitely NOT doing this for the publicity. I had the 1st post here and i guess a split would work, they work great together, they motivate each other to "one up it" all the time and that is all good!
I learned to do rather gauche things only after becoming a huge fan, but i will say that B deserves it and it's not just about the G8. It's so much more than that.
Bono does get more press time than Bob and they both do amazing things...I just thought this had to be B's year. And during all this, he continues to be the GREATEST, yes GREATEST...rock STAR of ALL time. After seeing every tour multiple times...to the days of Toads Place in New Haven CT and now at 40+ to do it again...un- F'n believable!!

I would have rather seen a co-award for Bob Geldof and Bono as Nobel Peace Prize winners. That would have seemed more appropriate. :up:

But this still a MAJOR award for Geldof and a major thumbs up for the international movement in the struggle to end extreme poverty.

BOB GELDOF - :hug:

This award was voted by winners of Nobel Peace Prizes. ie the cream of the peace keeping movement.

Bob organised the Live Aid concerts 20 years ago and continues to work for peace. Congratulations to Bob Geldof.

Geldof said: "I am overwhelmed and proud. It's more than an honour, it's almost ridiculous. It's almost too big. That's fucking big. I feel weird."

I am very happy for Sir Bob.

He organized the first Live Aid concert, which is what inspired Bono to go to Africa afterwards and started the journey he is on today. So I don't think it is inappropriate at all that he should be awarded first.

Who knows, maybe they will give it to Bono sometime in the future.

Back
Top Bottom