(10-25-2004) U2 Lovers Mad? Most Excited With iPod Deal -- TMO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Lovers Mad? Most Excited With iPod Deal, Fan Website Editor Says

by Brad Gibson, 9:00 AM CDT, October 25th, 2004

The majority of fans of the rock group U2 are happy and excited with its expected announcement of a deal with Apple Computer to launch a special-edition U2 iPod, contrary to published reports saying many are "furious" over the partnership, according to the editor of the groups largest fan Web site.

Carrie Alison, the editor of the U2 fan site Interference.com, told The Mac Observer Monday that a published report giving the impression the majority of U2 fans are mad about the reported Apple partnership is contrary to the truth.

"Pretty much everyone is darn near ecstatic about the upcoming announcement," Ms. Alison told TMO. "The iPod is so popular and it is the must-have item for U2 fans. Many of our readers can't wait to buy their first iPod. The reaction has been more skewed to people being very, very excited about it. I really haven't seen many being very critical of the news, except non-U2 fans who are more skeptical."

Ms. Alison said she specifically told The Independent reporter that while there might be some fan confusion over U2s involvement in charity work and at the same time partnering with a large corporation like Apple, "most (fans) are very positive and excited.

"The reporter, I feel, chose to skew the article to say fans were furious when that's not what I said and that's not the case," she said. "At no point did I ever say U2 fans were furious and screaming 'sell out', because honestly that's just not the case. They are excited and loyal."

Apple announced October 18 that a music event would be held this week, and that U2 would attend, sparking rumors that the event would see the launch of a U2 branded iPod. This iPod is expected to come preloaded with U2's new album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, as well as a selection from the group's previous works. As is Apple's standard policy, it has refused to comment further on Tuesday's announcement.

Ms. Alison said she believes that even before the official announcement, the news has already energized the U2 fan base. "You can tell U2 fans are paying attention because the number of visitors to our Web site has increased dramatically since the showing of the iPod/U2 commercial on television in the U.S."

Ms. Alison said many U2 fans who already own an iPod or iPod mini- what she projects at being around 60%, at least in her fan Web site - are hoping and suggesting Apple do something to involve them in the U2 promotion.

"Many fans are hoping Apple will announce some type of promotion whereby existing iPod owners could come into an Apple retail store, bring their iPod, and upload the new album onto their iPods for a fee."

--The Mac Observer

Jesus, this is all over the internet and news sites. I've seen it in no less than 20 newspaper web sites across the US.
Interference is getting quoted around the world.
Get ready for an onslaught. They are mentioning Carrie by name and interference.com as the largest U2 web site.

The latest article I read from mac daily news:
http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P3709_0_1_0
madspit: Just one opinion

[MacDailyNews Take: U2's association with Apple, the iPod, and the iTunes Music Store won't hurt and can only help Apple.]

Edited to say: this is the only article I've read, that was a real negative tone. The rest were just repeating what the others have said.

Last edited:
with all due respect, I would appreciate it if the editors of Interference would speak for themselves alone when speaking to the press. I know you're probably more plugged in to the general U2 fan feeling about the ipod than most, but you don't speak for me. Muchas gracias.

Back
Top Bottom