(10-24-2005) Blige, Bono Cover U2 On 'Reminisce' - Billboard*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Blige, Bono Cover U2 On 'Reminisce'

By Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Mary J. Blige went straight to the source for her new cover of U2's "One," drafting Bono to join her on vocals. The recording will be found on her upcoming retrospective, "Reminisce," due Dec. 6 via Geffen. The album will also feature the new single "Be Without You" and "MJB Da MVP," which utilizes the Game's "Hate It or Love It" as its musical bed.

Although the full track list for "Reminisce" has not been announced, a spokesperson says it will feature such past hits as "My Life," "Seven Days," "Not Gon' Cry" and "Family Affair," plus selections from throughout her discography.

Blige sees "Reminisce" as a companion piece to her in-progress new studio album, "The Breakthrough," which will be released in February. According to the label, "Breakthrough" reflects "a newfound serenity" from the artist, who dubbed her last album "No More Drama."

Blige, who will receive the Vibe Awards' VLegend honor at this year's ceremony, is also expected to perform late next month on CBS' "The Late Show With David Letterman."

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001350835

As if this wasn't going to happen... It could be really good, I mean, her on vocals is a totally different thing and I like covers that are wildly different to the original. So, it certainly has the potential, but I fear the music bed behind it. It could be sloppy/crappy/rnb shit, when a more strict gospel type thing, mixed with a more upbeat beat, and maybe even a sampling of the original guitar could go down really well. We'll see....

I think it wil be a hit:up: I heard Mary J. rawked da house with U2 @ MSG.

My bet is it would be a hit regardless, it's just that I think this actually has the potential to be more than a hit, potential to be quite a striking and memorable version, and I hope it is exactly that, not just a quickly pieced together effort for chart glory (which it will achieve).

If MSG 10/8 is ANY indication, this song will be both memorable, a hit, and god damn! she has an amazing voice!!!

You'd have had to be there to know what I mean...it was just out of this world..

Amen, Gabrielvox.

BTW..I was at MSG on 10/7, so I didn't hear her live cover (and grr! I was even 2nd row in the GA, right at the tip of the outside of the ellipse!!) For anyone who witnessed this live...was her live cover better than the Katrina benefit one? That was HOT.

And the more covers of U2 the better I say! Every other major group has had umpteenth version of their songs by artists great and small over the years. Some covers in themselves have become such classics that it's hard to remember there WAS an origional version. (Bruce's cover of Patti Smith's "Because The Night" for example.and KD Lang's "90's version, she sounds so eerily like Patti..)

There has been an astonishng lack of U2 covers, on the radio or off. There have been tribute albums, but very few commercial covers. The only ones I can think of are The Pet Shops Boys' (still) hilarious "Streets" from 1989 and Johnny Cash's "One." I guess the reason there are so few U2 covers is Edge's unique sound is unreproducable. Dylan's famous adage about U2 livng forever nobody being able to play it is coming true. If "One" is the most easily coverable tune in the U2 canon, that doesn't hurt! I hope it's released and Clear Channel passes it though its censors....

Mary J 10/8 with U2 was better than the Katrina benefit. She seemed more relaxed and actually remembered there was a band up there with her (watch the Katrina thing, you'll see lol)

Seemed to know the song better too, and it was VERY emotional with the crowd singing along too...

Just awesome

Back
Top Bottom