(10-23-2006) The Hunt Is On! -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.u2.com/htmlemail06/u2.jpg[/SIMG]
The Hunt Is On!

Fancy an all-expenses paid trip to see U2 play in Honolulu in December ? Enter the 'Hunt The Lyric' competition - the first clue is right here!

To enter the competition you need to locate the hidden U2 lyrics which are being posted on different websites around the world in the next few days. (See the list of sites below.) Your first clue is pretty easy... it's in the banner below!

Each U2 lyrical excerpt on the different websites will have one letter highlighted.

You need to collect all the highlighted letters from the different sites over the next two weeks and then arrange them in a sentence to answer the following question: 'WHERE SHALL WE GO?'

So each time you hunt down a letter in a lyric, make a note of it. Once you think you know the answer to the question come back here to enter the competition.

Answer the question correctly and you could be on that all-expenses paid trip to Honolulu to see the final show on U2's Vertigo world tour - with Special Guests Pearl Jam.

We'll be announcing the winner here on U2.Com on November 6th. (All competition entrants must be over 18)

U218 Singles is the first single disc collection to span the band's career from Boy (1980) to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (2004). More on the new album here.

u2.jpg

SITES PARTICIPATING IN 'U218 LYRIC HUNT'

UK – Channel Four Music

USA – MP3.com

UK - NME Magazine

Ireland – Hot Press Magazine

Australia – Triple M Radio

Holland – Telegraaf Newspaper

Norway – MSN

Denmark – BT Newspaper

Spain – 20minutos – Free Daily Newspaper

Japan – Asahi Newspaper - Sports

Japan – Asahi Newspaper - Culture

www.u2.com

Canada – Dose

Switzerland – 20minuten – Free Daily Newspaper

Austria – Osterreich – Daily Newspaper

Germany – Laut.de – Music Website

Sweden – TV4

Italy - “Due to Italian law, italy must run its own competition, please click here for details.

OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES U2 promotion NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.

HOW TO ENTER No purchase is necessary to enter or win the competition. The deadline for receipt of entry is 3rd November 2006.

By entering the competition, entrant consents to receive additional U2 promotional information. All entrants agree to abide by these rules. All entries become the property of Mercury Records Limited.

ELIGIBILITY All entrants and the person accompanying the winner must be at least 18 years of age to be valid and to be able to prove their age. Employees of Mercury Records Limited and its respective parent company, affiliates, subsidiaries and agents are not eligible to enter this competition. Mercury Records Limited and their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries and agents are not responsible for any lost, late illegible, incomplete, misdirected or mutilated entries , any electronic miscommunications or failures, technical hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable connections which may limit entrant’s ability to participate in the competition.

SELECTION On 6th November, one winner will be selected at random from all eligible entries received and posted on u2.com on Monday 6 November 2006. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. All decisions of Mercury Records Limited are final and binding on the entrants in all respects. Winner(s) must be able to travel on the determined dates or an alternative winner will be selected.

PRIZES One prize winner will receive a pair of tickets to see U2 live in Honolulu plus a pair of return economy class air tickets and hotel accomodation. The prize winner will be responsible for all incidental expenses including, but not limited to any food or beverages purchased independent of prize package, tipping and phone calls. All expenses not specifically mentioned as being included in the prize package are excluded and are the responsibility of the winner and the person accompanying the winner. Travel insurance is not included in this prize and shall be the responsibility of the winner and the person accompanying the winner. In the event that U2 cancels or the dates are changed for any reason beyond the control of either U2 or Mercury Records Limited, Mercury Records Limited reserves the right to substitute a different entertainment event without penalty or liability. Entries and prizes are non-transferable. No substitutions are allowed. The winner assumes all responsibility for taxes.

GENERAL CONDITIONS AND RELEASES An entrant or winner may be disqualified from the competition if he or she fails to comply with these official rules, as determined in the sole discretion of Mercury Records Limited. Unless prohibited by law, entry constitutes permission to use winners’ and person accompanying the winners’ names and likenesses in all media for publicity purposes without any further compensation. By entering or accepting a prize in the competition, winners agree to be bound by these Official Contest Rules and to conform to all laws and regulations.

By entering, participants, winners and persons accompanying the winners, agree to release and hold harmless Mercury Records Limited, its parent, subsidiary and affiliated entities, directors, officers, employees, attorneys, agents and representatives from any damage, injury, death, loss, claim, action, demand or other liability that may arise from their acceptance and/or use of prize or their participation in this promotion, or from any misuse or malfunction of any prize awarded. Mercury Records Limited is not responsible for 1) failed, returned or misdirected notifications based on inaccurate information provided by the winner on entry 2) entries, and responses to winner notifications which are lost, late incomplete, illegible, unintelligible, misdirected, damaged or otherwise not received by the intended recipient in whole or in part or for computer, mobile phone or technical error of any kind. Mercury Records Limited reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend this competition should as virus, ‘bug’ or other cause beyond Mercury Records Limited control corrupt the administration, security or proper play of the competition. Mercury Records Limited reserves the right to modify the rules of the competition in any way or at any time. This competition shall be governed by English law and by entering the competition all entrants agree that all disputes shall be submitted to the jurisdiction of the High Courts of Justice in England.

--U2.com

our wonderful folks at interference beat U2.com to the announcement of their own contest. u2.com is really a pathetic web site. i love the idea of keeing it in the family, but sebastian is not the greatest web master!!!!!
so will the same lyric be on all the web sites?

contest answer

just a guess - but since the first letter is "L", and the question is "Where Shall we go?". "Honolulu" sounds possible since the concert is in Honolulu. Or possibly Dublin - since the place to go home a a concert tour is home.

^ yeah... this will be simple

the hard part is getting selected

and... they do not pay for the flight TO Hawaii?... this is open to anyone in the world, right?

pepokiss said:
^ yeah... this will be simple

the hard part is getting selected

and... they do not pay for the flight TO Hawaii?... this is open to anyone in the world, right?

its an all expense paid trip to hawaii (all included..as well as flights) so yes, they would pay for you to go to hawaii.

There will be a lyric taken from each single that on U218. From that lyric, a letter will be highlighted. If you look at all the sites involved in this contest, there are 16 besides u2.com. I'm sure this is the deal (other than the two new ones).

:ohmy:

Interesting!

The first two lyrics have come from Beautiful Day and The Sweetest Thing.

If you count the entire row of countries and sites, including Italy (obviously it was the plan that an Italian website was included in the hunt), there's 18 altogether.

Some-one said 14 days - 14 letters.

Maybe it's gonna be 18 letters.

Or 16 minus Italy and Japan - both of the Japanese websites are featuring the same lyric at the moment.
And based on what's been said above.
16 old songs (18 - the 2 new ones).

I was thinking the answer might be Honolulu too.

But I've changed my mind.

There's just something about the first clue, about the word "shall" actually that has me thinking that the answer is not going to be Honolulu.

Besides wasn't it already said that the letters were supposed to make a sentence.

Where shall we go?

Made me think of:

'We shall overcome" - 15 letters
"You shall overcome" - 16 letters

And "we shall overcome" had me thinking about solving (world) problems, which brought me to:

"Love and peace or else" - 18 letters.

Which I now think will be the answer!

Last edited:
It looks like there will 1 or more clues listed on the various web sites that were listed.

I don't think that they are given at the same time but different times through out the day.

like we have nothing better to do than think U2 all day long. Like we've ever done that in our life. You know, check U2 sites for something new. And then get excited that perhaps it means a possibility of seeing or hearing the band. They've got some nerve. I say we all boycott!

;)

The instructions say:

...arrange them in a sentence to answer the following question: 'WHERE SHALL WE GO?'

So does that mean a real, complete sentence? With a subject and verb and everything? Because that would probably mean a lot more letters. And answers like "Honolulu, Hawaii" and "Lovetown" aren't sentences. Neither is "Love and Peace or Else" (although it's closer to one than the other theories so far).

Last edited:
Miringeltje said:
:ohmy:

Interesting!

The first two lyrics have come from Beautiful Day and The Sweetest Thing.

If you count the entire row of countries and sites, including Italy (obviously it was the plan that an Italian website was included in the hunt), there's 18 altogether.

Some-one said 14 days - 14 letters.

Maybe it's gonna be 18 letters.

Or 16 minus Italy and Japan - both of the Japanese websites are featuring the same lyric at the moment.
And based on what's been said above.
16 old songs (18 - the 2 new ones).

I was thinking the answer might be Honolulu too.

But I've changed my mind.

There's just something about the first clue, about the word "shall" actually that has me thinking that the answer is not going to be Honolulu.

Besides wasn't it already said that the letters were supposed to make a sentence.

Where shall we go?

Made me think of:

'We shall overcome" - 15 letters
"You shall overcome" - 16 letters

And "we shall overcome" had me thinking about solving (world) problems, which brought me to:

"Love and peace or else" - 18 letters.

Which I now think will be the answer!

How did you find the clue to Sweetest Thing? I checked both lyrics on U2.com (album version and single version) and none of the letters were highlighted.

I'm very frustrated with this contest already!! I checked some of the other sites and didn't see any clues or banners--do you have to go surfing around each site to find them or what?

What I'm wondering is if the clue will be on the first page, or if we'll have to navigate around ALL of those sites? :huh:

I noticed on the Japan pages that the clue was on the first page, so I'm hoping that will be the case. It makes it a little easier, but I certainly do NOT have the time to navigate through every page of all these sites, nor do I want to.

U2Mama said:
I'm very frustrated with this contest already!! I checked some of the other sites and didn't see any clues or banners--do you have to go surfing around each site to find them or what?

The Sweetest Thing lyrics were right on the first page on the Japanese site. About half way down the page.

ThoraSEB said:
What I'm wondering is if the clue will be on the first page, or if we'll have to navigate around ALL of those sites? :huh:

I noticed on the Japan pages that the clue was on the first page, so I'm hoping that will be the case. It makes it a little easier, but I certainly do NOT have the time to navigate through every page of all these sites, nor do I want to.
Hmm, the thing with the Japan links is that they both go to different sections of the Asahi site (the Sports section and the Culture section), both of which have the same clue image. But there's no image on the actual Asahi homepage. Going through the rest of the links, they all go directly to the homepages of the sites, except for the Channel 4 one, which goes to the music section of the site. Maybe that does mean the clues will be on the main pages/the pages linked. Or maybe we will have to search through them :shrug: I suppose it's too early to tell. Though I will say that the layouts of some of these sites don't even really appear to have an obvious place to fit the U2 banner (though some of them have the obvious slot for a square ad, and the banner is an ad, in that sense, so that may be the spot to watch), which is a bit discouraging.

Last edited:
I hate this contest!!
i checked the japan sites, and these japanese letters came out, switched to the english version and i didn't see any lyrics of the sweetest thing :(
and are all of these sites putting out the same clue everyday or just random?
dammit!

never mind. just saw the lyric.
blue eyed boy....

anyway, where do we send in our answer to?
or they're not giving the form or whatever it is for us to send in our answer yet?

and i guess we do have to check ALL of these sites everyday because who knows which one's giving the clue for the day..

just one question.
there is 2 websites from Japan, and both have tha same banner with letter O.
How should we count them? 1 or 2 O(s)?

I'm guessing there will be 2 to find everyday...so let's look for another!

Back
Top Bottom