(10-22-2005) Bono Suffers From 'Gig Lag' -- Irish Examiner*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Suffers From "Gig Lag"

U2 star Bono pours so much emotion into his stage performances, he suffers what his family call "gig lag" for days after he completes a tour.

The Irish rocker struggles to sing his songs live unless he is in exactly the right frame of mind - and it means an exhausting rollercoaster of emotions.

He explains: "I can't sing in the registers that I sing in. So I really have to step inside the song or else I'm not going to be able to hit some of those notes.

"It's not a glorious dedication to the art. It's just a necessity. I probably think if it wasn't that way, I might try to fake it."

But performing at 100% every night takes its toll on Bono when tours end and he's back home with his family.

He adds: "In a U2 show there's a lot of different feelings you're going through.

"My family refers to 'gig lag', where the coming down off that can be unpleasant. I am as high as a kite the day after, but the next day I can really hit a wall."

--Irish Examiner

kassandra said:
I think I suffer from the same affliction after a show.............:wink:

Really have a great point on that one! :lol: Know Im hyper as hell after I leave one of their shows,hehe. As for Bono I for one appreciate him giving his all with every show he performs! Think at times though that the man has swallowed a bowl of sugar for breakfast :wink:

kassandra said:

Yes, thank goodness for Tour DVD's. Whenever I need a U2 fix I throw in a show and turn up the volume. Nowhere near the same euphoria, but still two hours fo U2 live.

bono_man2002 said:
I suffed with gig lag at Anahiem I.....my back was damn sore from the first two shows, and i spent Anaheim II sitting.

Ahh but the suffering is worth it! Sorry about the back though.

I don't know how Bono does it night after night, that is amazing!

It is called "POWER".........Paul McCartney mentioned this during an interview recently when asked why now, at your age, go back on tour...obviously it's not the money or the sale of the CD....so what is it...and Paul said.......the power.... when you see the fans.........

and don't take me wrong here, I don't mean this in a derogatory manner.......but power is a force in the world. Just my opinion though.

carol
wizard2c
:|

kassandra said:

:applaud: couldn't have said it better!!!

After a show, i think we all suffer from gig lag,
high lag, :hyper:
screaming lag, :scream:
singing lag, :lol:
drooling lag, :drool:
worship lag :bow:
rocking out lag, :rockon:
and going crazy out of our mind lag, :crazy: !!!!

it's a wonder there aren't a bunch of dead bodies laying around at the end of a gig!!! hahaha :giggle:

I am majorly feeling 'gig lag' from the audience/fan side, omg,
especially after two shows in a row!
I can imagine that there's a huge emotional engagement and process that Bono and the lads must go through when touring!!!!

My adrenaline is still going way high and I'm really sorta scared about the crash to come:huh:

I think I understand the 'power' angle, but it seems to me at least for the way Bono and co. put on a show, there's also this 'engagement' angle, to get that huge full engagement with a little universe of people who've come together to hear from them...a communication power trip indeed!
see meee, feel meee...

I will be buzzing about after the 2 detroit shows for a while longer still I think!

cheers all...

Is it commonplace for the Irish Examiner to blatantly plagarize other publications? I just read the current Rolling Stone cover article on Bono, and this looks like it was directly lifted from it.

Back
Top Bottom