(10-22-2004) Play Vertigo -- U2vertigo.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right click the screen and then click "play"...this will fast-forward you through the screens of the game. Go straight to the screen with the red shirt and use the above shortcut to keep going back to it. Right before your time runs out...get to the end of the game. If you get there with out dying at all I think you get a 1,000 point bonus. For some reason the game kills me off for no reason when I hit just over 2,000 points though, so I haven't been able to do it yet. Clearly the people with the high score now have figured something else out. It's over 14,000 points!

thanks, i know what the cheats are, it's not my point, the point is it's cheating!!! apart from the right-click/play cheat if you're going to be a bunch of greedy bastards why not just download a flash decompiler and view the action script to see how flash sends the score to the server!!! by far the quickest cheat!!

some people have figured out that by linking to the flash file within a cutomised html page that they can enable the right-click menu, therefore being able to rewind/forward the game nilly-willy to the start/ceratin level, keeping the score and reseting the timer and increasing the score by playing the 't-shirt' level (screen 4), hence the stupid high scores you see.

i.e. cheating

i suggest that we either all start cheating using the above cheat, get a score high enough for the leaderboard and then putting as our name "cheating going on" or something....

this game will become void, just a matter of time, the decision is final with the game providers and a score in excess of 10,000 is just ridiculous so they'r gonna pull the plug on the competition eventually.

the smart-asses that possibly took ages to obtain that high scores are just gonna find their efforts were in vain...idiots, talk about making it obvious....greedy sods.

Last edited:
Uhhh...

Look at the how score now. 10101010101010101 whatever. There is no way to beat that.

i'll save the potential cheating b****rds some time and effort by just telling you that the action script sends it to callScore.php with parameters relevant to the fields of the form (i'm not telling you them) nor am i going to bother my ass cheating! you're just cheating yourselves and taking the fun out of things!

why have i got a flash decompiler? i'm a pro web developer and it's a legit piece of software used for 'disaster' recovery.

the spoil-sport that i am, i'm sending an email to cecilia about the cheating.

U2Fan101 said:
Uhhh...

Look at the how score now. 10101010101010101 whatever. There is no way to beat that.

don't worry about it, the competition will be pulled.

Clearly this contest must be pulled...the game is bogus. They should just raffle the stuff off or something.

ewen said:
i suggest that we either all start cheating using the above cheat, get a score high enough for the leaderboard and then putting as our name "cheating going on" or something....

Your wish is my command.

Well thanks because you have saved me hours of frustration. I couldn't even get the right click/play thing to work. What is Cecilia e-mail. I'd like to write her too. She is the one in charge of the U2 site, right?

Just added "thiscontestsucks" to the high score board. Sorry, I don't know her email. Anyway, the "click play thing" I found by accident just today...after the high score was already over 10,000. I don't know jack about flash software/decompilers, etc....completely greek to me.:huh:

youtwohearts said:
Well thanks because you have saved me hours of frustration. I couldn't even get the right click/play thing to work. What is Cecilia e-mail. I'd like to write her too. She is the one in charge of the U2 site, right?

sorry, please don't think i'm being disrespectful but i'm not at liberty to hand out her email address to everybody. no, she's not in charge of the U2 website, she's Larry's big sister and was a point of contact for us older fans in the early days.

And please guys if you know her address please don't mention it here, show some respect and ask her first!!

Lousy Fans

Just went to U2Vertigo.com and some go-nowhere jack-asses insist on taking U2's advergame and trashing it for the rest of the band's loyal fans. U2, we can all agree, has paid the utmost attention to its fans and has made a point to reach out to them. Now, with their willingness to reach out online and do so using new technology, some wankers take advantage of it. Pathetic. (I'm referring to those who edit their scores and use irreverent usernames to post their high scores. Thanks morons, for fucking it up.)

ewen said:
this is what happens when you cheat on vertigo:

http://www.xmlf.rrhosting.com/u2/vertigo/

enjoy :)

:lmao: Hilarious, ewen! Btw, jwstender...the "irreverent usernames" were meant to draw attention to the fact that some people are clearly cheating/abusing the contest...they are the ones who f'd it up for everyone. People should know this, and it should be stopped.

ewen said:

some people have figured out that by linking to the flash file within a cutomised html page that they can enable the right-click menu, therefore being able to rewind/forward the game nilly-willy to the start/ceratin level, keeping the score and reseting the timer and increasing the score by playing the 't-shirt' level (screen 4), hence the stupid high scores you see.

You clearly know a lot about this stuff. I don't know anything... but I didn't have to link "to the flash file within a customised html page" to pop-up the menu with play/back options. I just right clicked on the original page. Does the browser I'm using make a difference? I'm using Netscape.

Anyway, I figured out how the "the stupid high scores" were achieved...replaying the end of the game over and over for 1,000 points each time. The time stops after the first time you do this, so you can keep playing the game forever. Obviously someone spent a lot of time to get the current "high score" or perhaps as you suggested...found a way to simply enter any score they wanted. How sad.:(

They can keep the game up, just make the prize giveaway a random draw from all who play the game and enter their e-mails, that's the fairest way. I may have missed it, but I actually didn't see where it says that the highest scores win the prizes...

Pop Artist said:
They can keep the game up, just make the prize giveaway a random draw from all who play the game and enter their e-mails, that's the fairest way. I may have missed it, but I actually didn't see where it says that the highest scores win the prizes...

You know you're right. It doesn't say that the highest scores win. I'm guessing, however, that a lot of people didn't even bother to enter their emails because their score was no where close to the highest ones(?). A random drawing makes more sense, but sadly is still subject to abuse. I hope the winners, if there are any...actually deserve it.

Im hoping its a random drawing I certainly cant see any fair way of dishing out the prizes now...

That cheat page is sooo funny! :laugh:

atikicat said:

You clearly know a lot about this stuff. I don't know anything... but I didn't have to link "to the flash file within a customised html page" to pop-up the menu with play/back options. I just right clicked on the original page. Does the browser I'm using make a difference? I'm using Netscape.

Anyway, I figured out how the "the stupid high scores" were achieved...replaying the end of the game over and over for 1,000 points each time. The time stops after the first time you do this, so you can keep playing the game forever. Obviously someone spent a lot of time to get the current "high score" or perhaps as you suggested...found a way to simply enter any score they wanted. How sad.:(

the developers didn't think much about browsers other than MS Internet Explorer so you would, as you've said, not have required to go to any extreme lengths to cheat. As a web developer I have to take into consideration the large number of people that use Netscape/Mozilla and of course the Mac.

Thanks for the comments folks about my "what happens when you cheat" movie, nice to know my efforts were appreciated...I like to turn a negative into a positive by attempting creativity.

Is it me or did anyone else notice that the skyline in several shots is from Seattle, WA??????

They reset the score boards on both the u2.com and cd:uk Vertigo games. Wonder how long it will last? I determined that the maximum score anyone can acheive on this game now without cheating is 1660 points. This is basically impossible, because to do this you would have to pick up every point from every red object in the game and do it fast enough (without dying) to still receive the full 1,000 point bonus given by the red marks at the end of the game (the longer it takes to get there, the smaller the bonus is).

When you start seeing scores of 1660 and higher...you'll know the cheaters are back! :madspit:

atikicat said:
They reset the score boards on both the u2.com and cd:uk Vertigo games. Wonder how long it will last? I determined that the maximum score anyone can acheive on this game now without cheating is 1660 points. This is basically impossible, because to do this you would have to pick up every point from every red object in the game and do it fast enough (without dying) to still receive the full 1,000 point bonus given by the red marks at the end of the game (the longer it takes to get there, the smaller the bonus is).

When you start seeing scores of 1660 and higher...you'll know the cheaters are back! :madspit:

Wait how do you get the 1000 points from the red marks? I just went through the whole game...got EVERYTHING...died once...and only got 640 points...

edit: nm...got it..you can't die at all to get the 1000...what's the minimal time limit to get the 1000 points? just before you die??

Also I'd like this game more if it wasn't so fucking infuriatingly inconsistent and shoddily made...

edit 2: 1440 seems to be as high as I can go...shit...

edit 3: OK so you have to make it in under 15 seconds to get the 1000 points (aka 45 seconds to go)...doing that I can get around 1400 points...going as quick as possible (i'm flying and just make it to the end with 45 seconds to go)....yet somehow someone is almost picking up 20 other red dots than me...somehow I don't think that's possible.

either

a.) someone has a new way to cheat but is doing so less subtlely or

b.) I'm missing a big bonus somewhere (all I know about are the stripes and the shirt)...

Last edited:

edit: I just can't possibly fathom how someone gets higher than 1480. I'm taking the quickest route there...absolutely no mistakes...geting everything in my path and JUST reaching the 44 second 1000 point mark and just getting 1480...

Last edited:
1440 is the best I've been able to do as well. To get the full 1000 points you have to get to the end in about 15 seconds. Every second that passes after that...you lose 100 of the bonus points at the end. Given how slow the character in the game moves, I think it's mathematically impossible to acheive even the maximum legitimate score of 1660 points without cheating (i.e. getting EVERYTHING in only 15 seconds without dying).

Edit 1:I'm at a disadvantage with a dial-up connection I think. The time on the game clock starts at 58.9 seconds for me once the game loads, which means I'm losing a full second. I'm sure I could pick up a few more red splats with that extra second (at 10 points each), but not the 11 extra that the person with the 1550 score got. I think that score is already suspect.

Edit 2: Cheating is still possible. They're just trying to be less obvious this time.

Last edited:
This just pisses me off..I expected more from u2 I guess. I hate stupid reflex games like this that do nothing but piss you off...especially when they can't get anyone good enough to do flash programming to make it even secure.

Back
Top Bottom