(10-19-2004) U2 Whining Like A Small Child: "Pay Attention To Meeee" - ChartAttack*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what's his problem?

Sure, u2 do have the maketing machine worked at top speed,

But who cares! I don't complain of boybands or popstars doing their in your face marketing tricks. God! there's so many of them!

Although he himself sounds whiny (and is this really a valid subject for a published article?) I have to agree with being a bit tired of the media onslaught so far away from the release. I understand U2 is a business, but personally the Ipod thing is leaving a sour taste for me. There was a time I thought when, I thought, (correct me if I'm wrong) when U2 vowed not to do commercials. I don't know, luckliy I don't watch TV. I guess I'm from the camp that would say to just release the album, let the music speak for itself, which, judging from the Vertigo single, will be good enough marketing alone. Music has become such a corporate thing, I sometimes wish U2, given their history would somehow subvert that aspect of it, or at least not be such a player in it. Coming from a twenty-year fan this marketing crap gets harder and harder to endure before each release, but hey I'm sure the music will be worth it. That is what it's all about..... isn't it?

Bono has previously said on several occasions that he admires the hip-hop bands or artists for being quite upfront about being a business, wanting to make money etc. He sees nothing wrong in that and I agree. It is more honest than if mega popular acts like U2 pretended that the sales didn't matter and the money was just a nuisnance. U2 have a big big ego, in a good way, and that ego will like to be fed with the strong record sales and commercial success that comes from a big fan base.

U2 remain relevant. They are not dinosaur rockers by any means and are now busy promoting themselves, in part to the thirteen year olds of today (I was 13 when I became a fan) who would have been 9 when ATYCLB came out and who therefore this will be their first real chance to appreciate U2.

U2 are a business. I respect that. I also respect that about the only mention Bono made of U2 in recent speeches about Africa was something along the lines of "As transcendent an experince as I like to think a U2 show can be it is not life and death".

There is nothing wrong with promoting a product in the right time and place if the product is value for money... $xx for a CD and DVD or $yyy for a black U2 IPOD that will occupy hours of our lives to come is a bargain!

Lets hope the album is bought by millions from all age groups and that more fans and interferencers result!:wink:

HELP!!!...although I've mentioned this a million times!

The Tribute CD to U2 is not getting a RESPONSE! I was thrilled an
indie label decided to pick it up; however, they need to see a
response to show for it. Please check out the CD...DIE HARD fans
will love this CD...it's different, but in a good way...different
music for different people! THANKS!

Not too many people have heard of it, but I worked really hard to
get this out and it's finally released!I pushed to prove a tribute
will be worthy, so now I have to show for it.

The MP3s are up, so go in and listen. Thanks and please help spread the word...all help is appreciated! Please email me directly- u22theny@yahoo.com... for info, i'll be more than happy to provide more info.

Sam

digsy said:
i'm not quite certain what this guys problem is

he moans U2 are all in the news and then writes about them twice in a 24hour period.

he moans that even bonos charitable causes end up with a mention of the album but then credits such work to chartattack themselves on the MANY STORIES they've run on U2.

and then he moans about bonos that bonos "endless speechifying against AIDS and oppression" and thats he's in the news again today because he's getting an award for "making a significant impact on our shared future". um how is this a bad thing and what does it have to do with HTDAAB?

this seems more like the writer going "Pay Attention To Meeee" by trying very hard to make the best band in the world look bad (and failing)

RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!! the writer has a problem !!!

Hate to break it to ya guys, but here in the US (their biggest market, numbers-wise) the band DOES need to slam the media over the heads with a blitz of publicity. We have all been following the saga of Vertigo on the charts, and we have seen mainstream, commercial Top 40 radio's complete and total indifference. There are dozens of radio stations that are playing earlier U2 hits that won't touch Vertigo with a 10-ft pole. Once they rushed to play anything new, but not now. Why? B/c they are Clear Channel stations now and that other stuff came out before their stations were bought, so it's safe to play. Why has U2 moved only 2 chart points--46-44- in 3 weeks? When they are all over alt radio? Remember MTV after ATYCLB came out. The band played a set live and the video disappeared from the channel after 2 days. Literally. I watched it happen.

If it wasn't for magazine covers, the general public would have no clue the band was even still around, and generally, anybody under 25 just doesn't give a f***, for the most part.

MESSAGE TO FANS: THE WORLD DOES *NOT* REVOLVE AROUND U2 ANYMORE. WE ARE AGAIN SLIPSTREAM.

The attitude of Clear Channel (who control most of the radio stations in the US) is, once you hit 40, you are an old fogey, and no more culturally relevant than Joan Baez. You may as well be from the 60's. This is part of a vast conspiracy to keep the general public dumb, with no sense of music history, and to keep their attentions span down to the level of 2. This is tragic, since there is some GREAT new music out there, and the way current music biz trends go, they won't last more than 3 albums and/or 5 or 6 yrs if they are lucky.

We fans HAVE to get our heads out of the bubble. We still think that the band are not only the greatest act around but also the hottest. They are not. They have crossed the line of age. Get your heads out of the sand, folks. It is NOT 1992, where the band can disappear from the US for 5 yrs and everyone is excited about them coming back. They might not be old, but the biz has changed in the past 5 yrs drastically, more so than in the past 40, and in that time the band has become a victim of it. Here the US the music biz has become a cruel place and I fully justify any means the band takes to slam people over the head to keep themselves in the public eye.

(They need to fight every inch of the way, and it does not look foolish. Some people think that when a band needs to do this it is on the way out, but I disagree. Attitudes in the biz have changed so markedly, that a band almost has to do this with every album, no matter how young, if you want to stick around. Think about it: you have to consistently seel at least a million copies of yr album once you've sold that much. No chance for a "sophomore slump." No chance for failure. One performance not as good (Like Ocotober was) and you are OUT. DONE. THROUGH. Of this attidtude had been around 20 or 30 yrs ago, there wouldn't be a music biz. Half of the people on the radio had a big flop at some point. But the next album they came back. The biz gave them a chance. )

Well....anything but licensing their songs to promote a non-musical product such as cars, clothes, perfume, fast food, etc. And haivng that company's name splashed across the stage. That's my personal line in the sand, and so far they have not crossed it.

There are so many people out there who are sick of Bono's rambling about AIDASand Africa and debt and think he's a colossal pest. And this time around they actualy try to shut him up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom