(10-18-2005) Musician Bono drops in on House Dems’ meeting - The Hill*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Musician Bono drops in on House Dems’ meeting

By Josephine Hearn

Even though several Republicans and Democrats are using U2’s concert in D.C. this week to raise money, the band’s frontman, Bono, appeared to show a preference for the Democrats when he graced Capitol Hill yesterday.

Bono dropped in on a meeting of House Democrats to talk about debt relief for developing countries and the global AIDS crisis. The singer is spending several days in Washington on a trip that is part performance, part public policy. U2 performs at MCI Center later this week. Tomorrow, Bono will show Republicans a little love when he meets with President Bush.

In his address to the weekly meeting of House Democrats yesterday, Bono drew attention to a group he founded and dubbed Debt AIDS Trade Africa, which has been working on debt relief. At one point during the speech, he even likened House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to a lioness.

Bono also enjoyed a private lunch with Pelosi and other prominent Democrats, including Sens. John Kerry (Mass.), Patrick Leahy (Vt.), Barack Obama (Ill.) and Dick Durbin (Ill.) and Reps. Steny Hoyer (Md.) and Nita Lowey (N.Y.).

Pelosi has met Bono before, having attended a U2 concert in San Jose, Calif., earlier this year. She bought two sets of tickets to both tonight’s and tomorrow night’s shows and will decided which one to attend depending on the House schedule.

http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/101905/bonobrief_html.html

does bono ever do anything remotely music-related anymore?

if i saw him on the hill, i'd punt him.

Pelosi went to a spring leg show? I guess she IS a serious fan.

Wonder of she was in the ellipse. Haha.

Of course not...would be cool though...she prob has a skybox this time....if an actual politician was enough of a fan to want to get hot and cramped and sweaty like us common "fan" folk. (Boston 10/4...MSG, 10/7...GOD, what a show...)

I think it is impressive that Bono used free time from his tour to do something constructive such as stop by congress, lunch with the President......humanitarian Bono doing what he does so well, while other rock stars would more than likely sleep the day away in drunken stupor or just laze the day away waiting for the next gig in the next city.

Back
Top Bottom