(10-17-2007) U2's 'Joshua Tree' Blooms Again - Billboard.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy

ONE<br>love, blood, life
Lookin' for the face I had before the world was ma
U2's 'Joshua Tree' Blooms Again

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

To celebrate the 20th birthday of its landmark album "The Joshua Tree," U2 is reissuing the set in four different incarnations on Nov. 20 via UMe. The album will be available as a remastered single CD, a 2-CD set, a 2-CD/1-DVD collectible box and a double-vinyl package.

The single-disc will be housed in a jewel case, but the 2-CD set comes in a hard back case. The 2-CD/1-DVD version has a base and lid to accommodate the discs as well as five portfolio prints. Band members have contributed new liner notes for the package.

Of most interest to fans is the inclusion of rare material on the expanded editions. Although details have yet to be announced, "Joshua Tree" demos, alternate versions and B-sides from the period are expected to appear.

The DVD is understood to comprise a July 4, 1987, show at the Paris Hippodrome, as well as the documentary "Outside It's America."

Produced by Brian Eno, "The Joshua Tree" shot U2's commercial fortunes into the stratosphere. The album's first three tracks were huge singles, with both "With or Without You" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" hitting No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003658805

I hope they improve Exit - it's a great song but I don't know what they were thinking with the recording on the original album.

I checked Amazon only the 1 CD import & 2 CD (enhanced) available for pre-order-could not find 2 CD/DVD-that's what I'm waiting on. If you all see something I've missed, let me know.:hyper: Also U2 Calendar 08--if you see the "official" one. Thanks!

Balfron said:
I hope they improve Exit - it's a great song but I don't know what they were thinking with the recording on the original album.

My thoughts exactly! I don't want to hear the outro of "One Tree Hill" as the intro to "Exit"!! :huh:

Adam's bassline on Exit = :drool:

Ok I got brave and pre-ordered from Amazon/UK the 2CD/DVD. I'm crazy--I'll pay any price. :help: I figured I could cancel when I see it on Amazon.Com.

With current exchange rates you are going to pay around $50, and they probably won't go down significantly.
Why? Amazon.com will definitely offer it, for probably around half the price.

Amazon de has updated its info on the release - the Super Deluxe Box set can be pre-ordered for € 25,99 at the moment, release date December 7, 3 discs.

:hyper:

This will be this year's christmas present from me to myself!

U2.com has its updates and special features for its members at http: //joshuatree.u2.com/

The cover is going to be the actual 1987 one!

408_main1.jpg

I have the documentary "Outside It's America" on VHS, a very old VHS I got in the mid'90's. Believe me, go out and spend what you have to if it's in the double-disc, DVD package. It's worth every penny. And the B-sides! Oh, the glorious B-sides! "Luminous Times": "I love you because I need to/not because I need you/I love you because I understand/that God has given me your hand...." the way Bono sang that. The raw, unbridled emotion. The great thing about that is that it's still true today. We all know to what Muse he sings....

PS. that pic! *TRIPLE GOOSEBUMPS ALL OVER AGAIN*

I *STILL* remember opening up the new issue of Billboard in late February of 1987 and finding that VERY FIRST pic of Bono and the guys standing in the desert, Bono and Adam wearing white sleeveless undershirts hanging out of their pants, all of them facing Corbjin's camera, the whole "wandering disheveled in the desert" thing. It was the first image we in America ever saw of the new album. WOWY didn't debut on the radio until March 4. (Trust me, I remember this stuff like the back of my hand....I'd been a fan for 6 yrs by then.)

If you guys who have ever held an actual Billboard magazine in your hands you know the size of the pages. That ad was an entire two-page spread.

I remember standing rooted to the spot for 5 solid minutes, actually SHIVERING, my heart going like a hummingbird's. Oh to be 18 again....

*Got to get off here before I get the shivers again*

Last edited:
Reading all these posts is making me so sentimental.
I love remembering all these incredible moments we all have in common , sharing the incredible journey U2 has taken us on from the very beginning and especially since the JT came out!

:hyper: :heart: I'm dying here... cannot wait to get this.:drool:

^ U2 Overload--Joshua Tree rerelease December, U2 3D January 08, New Album well sometime next year, Videos from New Album, Back on Tour in 08--I'm feeling dizzy--must lie down. :ohmy:

I picked up the Joshua Tree deluxe box set today.The dvd in this set has got to be the one of the most significant discoverie's in human history since the Dead Sea Scroll's!!

Does anyone know if they are releasing the Joshua Tree Remastered version in Canada? So far all I see is Amazon.com and Best Buy for lesser copies. I don't really want to order it from Amazon.com because their stuff usually comes with scuffs marks, dints etc. and being the U2 perfectionist I am I'd rather pick out my own copy.

Wow, it sounds like I'm the only one a bit disappointed with the re-issue of The Joshua Tree.

My first U2 concert was in 1987, so it did bring back great memories, but reality is the DVD concert footage is the only real highlight. It's rare to see live video from this tour and the Paris show was great. It will cost ~$50 to get it though.

I'm almost convinced it's an industry trick to say re-issued songs are "re-mastered." I have a really good stereo system at home and in my car and to tell you the truth - I could not tell the difference, hopefully others can.

And the album itself and B-sides....well, we all own most of this material, and all the "new" unreleased stuff (except for "Waves Of Sorrow") isn't up to U2 standards in my opinion.

I hate to be negative, but I think I'm just getting tired of U2 re-releasing songs in the form of greatest hits albums, DVDs, and "re-mastered" CDs. Not to take anything away from the greatest band, I understand they need a steady annual income like we all do but I'm just getting anxious for a new album!

I agree with you Captown. It's getting a little frustrating waiting for the new album to come out admist a flurry of mass marketing.

Back
Top Bottom