(10-15-2006) The Pen Is Mightier Than ... The Anchorman -- MSNBC.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://dailynightly.msnbc.com/images/brian_2.jpg[/SIMG]
The Pen Is Mightier Than ... The Anchorman

Tonight's "Making a Difference" segment is about Bono. Having met with President Bush on board Air Force One in Chicago last night, he today launched the new "Red" campaign, aimed at raising money (by just making everyday purchases) to eradicate AIDS in Africa. I spent time with him earlier in the week, and today he visited 30 Rock so we could sit with him for an interview. The Bono that I feel so fortunate to have come to know is a lot of things: enormously talented, extremely energetic, sentimental, oddly introverted, charmingly self-deprecating... and very mischievous. So it was that we found ourselves near the elevators, just outside the NBC Nightly newsroom.

At my request, Bono had just appeared before an impromptu gathering of staffers to thank them for their coverage of his efforts. We posed for a still picture in front of what's called a "light box," an embarassingly large promotional picture of yours truly designed to get the attention of the tour groups that walk by all day long. Bono asked if anyone had a Sharpie. The result is now on display for all to see. I've been defaced. I'm now wearing something of a Zorro/raccoon mask. Passing tour groups this afternoon in the hallway [Image link] shake their heads in disgust, picturing a common prankster with a permanent pen. This was no common prankster. What they don't know is -- the small initial "B" [Image link] at the bottom of the graffiti stands for the frontman of U2. I shared with Bono a common American adage about "paybacks" -- which ends with a word that is not family reading material -- and told him that while it might take me a while, I'll get him back. It was a fun afternoon, and a good interview. It will all make for a great "Making a Difference" segment tonight.

I hope you can join us this evening. Have a good weekend.

brian_2.jpg

--MSNBC.com

Thanks Mike!

I've seen Brian Williams in numerous interviews and shows other than the NBC Nightly News and he is delightful, smart and extemely funny, and a bit of a prankster himself. :wink: He wasn't kidding, Bono should watch out - even if he has to go to Ireland to do it, BW will get him.:wink:

Too funny... Wonder if we'll ever know how/when BW gets his revenge??? I'd love to be a fly on the wall that day! :yes: :lol:

sue4u2 said:
I've seen Brian Williams in numerous interviews and shows other than the NBC Nightly News and he is delightful, smart and extemely funny, and a bit of a prankster himself.

Maybe I'm too quick to judge him :hmm:

"...enormously talented, extremely energetic, sentimental, oddly introverted, charmingly self-deprecating... and very mischievous". I think that's the best and most complete discription of Bono I have evr read. Good stuff! :up:

Alex Trebek: Yeah, it was a trick question, Mr. Connery. Why don't you pick a category?

Sean Connery: I've got to ask you about the Penis Mightier.

Alex Trebek: What? No. No, no, that is The Pen is Mightier.

Sean Connery: Gussy it up however you want, Trebek. What matters is does it work? Will it really mighty my penis, man?

Alex Trebek: It's not a product, Mr. Connery.

Sean Connery: Because I've ordered devices like that before - wasted a pretty penny, I don't mind telling you. And if The Penis Mightier works, I'll order a dozen.

Alex Trebek: It's not a Penis Mightier, Mr. Connery. There's no such thing!

Nicholas Cage: Wait, wait, wait.. are you selling Penis Mightiers?

Alex Trebek: No! No, I'm not.

Sean Connery: Well, you're sitting on a gold mine, Trebek!

Here's hoping the suits at NBC see the humor and leave the photo up a while. And then Brian should have it laminated and framed. Funny!

Back
Top Bottom