(10-13-2004) Eno Lets Bono Speak to the Pope -- contactmusic*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Eno Lets Bono Speak to the Pope

Ed. Note: This is the first we have heard of Brian Eno working on the new album. With him on board, that brings the producer count to four, including Chris Thomas, Daniel Lanois and Steve Lillywhite.

Legendary producer BRIAN ENO erupted in anger when a phone call interrupted the sessions for the new U2 album, but allowed the call to be put through to frontman BONO when he found out it was POPE JOHN PAUL II on the line.

Eno, who twiddled the knobs on upcoming disc HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB, had issued strict instructions that no telephone calls be allowed for a week while he worked with the Irish band.

But Eno swiftly backtracked on his own rule when he found out who the caller was.

U2 manager PAUL McGUINESS says, "When an assistant interrupted one of the sessions Brian exploded, but did eventually calm down when he was told the Pope was on hold."

--contactmusic

This sounds a bit familiar to a story that was told during the ATYCLB recording sessions. While I never heard a story about Eno exploding in anger, I did hear how the Pope would interrupt U2's recording by calling and asking for Bono. And at the time it made sense as Bono had just visited the Pope for what was then called Jubilee 2000. And, of course, Eno was a producer on that album.

But as this article indicated, to date we haven't heard anything about Eno being a producer on this album. Lanois spent, at best, a week helping U2.

So my suspicion is that this is an ATYCLB era story being recycled.

doctorwho said:
This sounds a bit familiar to a story that was told during the ATYCLB recording sessions. While I never heard a story about Eno exploding in anger, I did hear how the Pope would interrupt U2's recording by calling and asking for Bono. And at the time it made sense as Bono had just visited the Pope for what was then called Jubilee 2000. And, of course, Eno was a producer on that album.

But as this article indicated, to date we haven't heard anything about Eno being a producer on this album. Lanois spent, at best, a week helping U2.

So my suspicion is that this is an ATYCLB era story being recycled.

YES... this is OLD !! :yawn:

I may have misread but, in the Blender article, didn't Adam say that on one of the songs that wasn't him on base but it was Brian? I was thinking Brian Eno when I read that rundown of the song.

That's because Love and Peace or Else began it's development in ATYCLB sessions.

sorry....thinking baseball still....it's BASS!!!!!!! i should let go of the baseball thing, though, since my Braves lost!! it's a "bass" trap...haha......bad joke, sorry.

Isn't there some kind of ambient sound type song on the new album? I think that might be the Eno piece (from what I've read). And I do think it's an older one.

Back
Top Bottom