(10-12-2006) Bono and Oprah and The Gap Make Fans Wait -- The Halting Point*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono and Oprah and The Gap Make Fans Wait and Freeze for Nothing

Ed. Note: Get pictures of the Chicago Gap event from The Halting Point and Yahoo!

As part of The Gap's PRODUCT(RED) campaign, they arranged for Bono and Oprah to make an appearance at The Gap on the corner of Ohio and Michigan Ave. here in Chicago. According to the press release, (RED), the organization founded by Bono and Bobby Shriver, seeks to marry charity with consumer spending power, harnessing many international brands in their fight against AIDS in Africa. Some of the other companies participating in this are Converse, Emporio Armani and Motorola.

The campaign site features the entire range of PRODUCT(RED) albeit in an agonizingly slow slideshow format. Although to be fair it is October 12th right now, and their website says the line will be available October 13th. I saw the crowd of people on the way to work on the 151 this morning, so I stopped by and said that Oprah and Bono should be showing up at 9-9:15....at 9:15 I decided it was too damn cold and went to work. Went out again at 10 and there were even MORE people there. Both sides of the street were packed, as was the median in the road. As you can see from the pictures, there was quite a bit of space between my crowd of people I was standing in and the red carpet. It wasn't initially that bad when I first showed up at 9...we were right at the carpet, but then they kept pushing us back and back and back, and set up blockades.

Did I mention that during this time Chicago was in the midst of receiving its first flakes of snow of the year? Then, to add insult to freezing injury, a group of young too-trendy looking people show up all dressed in red with jackets on. Must be the gap employees. They of course got to line up about a foot away from the entrance and completely blocked any view we would have had. We then got to sit through some rousing fake cheers from the gap employees directed by the Harpo crew. Least we all got a good chuckle out of how fake it was. Although I admit I feel bad for some of those people because Harpo made them remove their jackets to get good footage, even though there were blistering winds.

Then, after about another 45 minutes of waiting, people start cheering as a Mercedes with its hazard lights on comes down the street and stops at the corner. Its Bono. He gets out and walks back to the red Thunderbird right behind him to open the driver's side door and lets out the big O. Although she wasn't that big. I'm not one to follow celebs, but Oprah looked pretty damn thin. The more amazing part of that though was that she was ACTUALLY DRIVING. Although I'm sure her "people" just had her driver get out of the car and swap seats with her at Illinois and Michigan. Can't leave things like that to chance now can we!

There was much cheering and then 5 seconds later it ended as Oprah and Bono promptly walked into the store, leaving the many fans, some of whom had been waiting for 2 hours to see them, standing slack-jawed in the freezing cold and flurries.

Did they need to push the fans back that far? Certainly not. Was it unfair for the Gap people to be right up front completely blocking the views of people who had been waiting for an hour or more? Most definitely.

When I left they were setting up a microphone stand and said that they would be speaking, but it would be a bit later, probably in more than an hour and they had no real idea when.

While I am all in favor of the promotion, which donates 50% of the PRODUCT(RED) proceeds to fight AIDS in Africa, I have to say that Harpo and The Gap really screwed over the fans on this one, making them wait in freezing weather for upwards of 2 hours just in order to get a 5 second glimpse of Bono and Oprah...if their view wasn't completely obstructed by The Gap employees. And for those thinking I should have been on the other side of the street, well, that wouldn't have been any better since there was a wall of news crews and massive camera rigs lining the edge of the sidewalk, preventing any reasonable view at all. The only good spot was on the median which looked like a bunch of castaways clinging to a life raft due to how many people were trying to crowd on there.

I asked if they would be coming back out to speak since there was a mic platform set up with all the news station mics, but they said it probably wouldn't be for another 45 minutes, if not an hour or more. Not really worth sticking around for with the weather like that. What a disappointment.

--The Halting Point

Bono and Oprah were in the car together when they arrived at the Gap. They left Harpo with her driving and they showed up with her driving, so I think it is safe to assume she did actually drive there. He got out of the passenger side and ran around to the other side to open her door for her--she kissed him on the cheek afterward.

I'm not sure what anybody lined up on the sidewalk would have expected beyond seeing the two of them going in and out of the stores, etc.? It wasn't really promoted as a fan meet and greet or anything?

What a stupid article. It's not like this event was supposed to be a pep rally in the middle of the street. It's almost as if she would expect that some dude standing outside of a restaurant Bono were eating in deserves to be able to chat with him and take pictures with him when he walks out.

The advertised event was whatever went on inside the store, not whatever happened outside. :huh:

Well some U2 fans have such a sense of entitlement and think that everything is all about them. Bono was there to promote a charitable endeavor, not to please them.

And I have to wonder how many of those fans waiting there had already met Bono numerous times. Did Bono force them to wait out in the snow and cold?

BONO IS GOING TO BE FEATURED TONIGHT, FRIDAY, ON NBC NIGHTLY NEWS WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS

anyone who is complaining about waiting too long at the GAP or not seeing enough of Bono, needs for first and foremost remember that they WERE taping the show...It's not like they had all the time in the world so he can sign sutographs for people etc.

Ohhh give me a break.....

Did anyone force these people to stand there? No

Alot of people knew they were taping her show, time is of the essence.

Most of the time you know when Bono is going to stop, he was on her time not his.

Its a very rare occasion such as this that Bono wouldn't stop for fans.

I waited 5 well worthed hours to get the images below and I would do it again in any climate.

the key is to figure out where he's staying...thats the only way you may get to meet him for any period of time..that was the case for me anyhow :wink:

Back
Top Bottom