(10-05-2004) Pastor rocks religion with U2 - DesMoinesRegister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Pastor rocks religion with U2

By KYLE MUNSON
REGISTER MUSIC CRITIC
October 5, 2004

The Rev. Amy Miracle paused the DVD player with the image of the band U2 frozen on the TV screen.

"He's praying," she said and pointed to lead singer Bono, who was introducing the song "Where the Streets Have No Name" during a June 2001 concert in Boston. His head bowed, he incanted several barely distinguishable verses of what Miracle identified as Psalm 116.

Such was the intriguing collision of pop culture and the pulpit last Wednesday at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Des Moines. Miracle - yes, that's her real surname - launched her free, four-week course, "Spirituality of U2." She posed a question to the dozen regular worshippers/fans and two journalists in the room:

"How is a concert similar or different than worship?"

Concert audiences and church congregations alike can get whipped into a frenzy, though the consensus last week was that one tends to be more raucous than the other. And the front rows at a concert are more coveted than the first few rows of church pews.

More people certainly sing along at a concert, Miracle added, than she can persuade to raise their voices in church.

But there's a pattern and rhythm, she said, shared by preachers and rock stars alike.

To paraphrase a U2 song, church services and rock concerts are one, but they're not the same.

Miracle let the rest of "Where the Streets Have No Name" play on the DVD, and Bono ended the performance with a "God bless you" to his audience.

Similarities galore.

"Every time I watch it, it warms me somehow," Miracle said, and added that Bono and the band radiate the sort of hope she finds sorely lacking in most political leaders.

Miracle admits to being a lifelong U2 fan and even described a U2 concert she attended at Madison Square Garden in New York as "one of the great evenings of my life."

But she's not smitten with the band's fame. Hers isn't a class on how America is all too familiar with the notion of the rock star as a secular idol verging on Christ figure - the ongoing worship of Elvis Presley and the "sightings" of him since his 1977 death, for instance.

No, Miracle and other Christians around the globe have keyed into U2 to plumb deeper meanings.

Even on the surface, the band can make for significant religious study. There's no more eloquent or fervent humanitarian in rock 'n' roll right now than Bono. He's a mega-missionary of sorts, with his campaigning for the starving, debt-laden nations of Africa, among other causes.

Wednesday's class, which will continue for three more weeks, took a page (literally) from the 2003 book "Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalog." U2 was embraced as one of Christian rock's own in the early 1980s but was largely given over to the "mainline," or secular, world as the band embraced a heavier dose of glitz and irony in the 1990s.

But a return to an earnest, no-frills rock sound and our own post-9/11 thirst for compassionate heroes has seen the shine restored to U2's halo as it prepares to release a new album on Nov. 23. The band seems to have achieved a balance between its religious and secular threads.

Miracle brings apt U2 credentials to her class. She holds not only a Princeton degree but also spent two years in Belfast, Ireland (U2's hometown), in the mid-1980s to earn a master's in Irish political history at Queen's University . She soaked up some of the regional history and flavor that's lurking between the lines in U2's songs.

Miracle touched on Bono's mixed religious upbringing; he's a rare Catholic-Protestant hybrid in a land where so much violence has erupted because of that rift. Hence the U2 song "Sunday Bloody Sunday," which references the 1972 killing of Irish civilian demonstrators by British soldiers.

Miracle's students brought a range of U2 experience to the table, from newbies to die-hard fans.

"I'm a closet VH1 addict," said one.

"I bought (the 1983 U2 album) 'War' on vinyl."

" 'Joshua Tree' got me through my first semester of college."

It was a religion class, so of course there was a text to study. But instead of Bibles, Miracle handed out the lyrics to the song "Where the Streets Have No Name," noting how some of its images echoed the book of Revelation .

One man chuckled that he had to keep himself from thinking of the U2-Christianity connection in terms of "The Da Vinci Code" - which hidden symbols might he be missing?

Miracle stressed that her class was about how God has more of an overt presence in pop culture than many Christians might be willing to admit.

"This is music that helps me better understand God," was her bottom line.

Who knows when U2 will stage another concert in Iowa, when you can suss the band's spirituality for yourself. Meanwhile, try Miracle's class. Her focus this week: U2's songs of social justice, such as "Pride (In the Name of Love)."

But regular concertgoers with scant church experience should note: Class doesn't end with an encore and a standing ovation. It ends with a prayer.

Copyright © 2004, The Des Moines Register.

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041005/ENT04/410050370/1046&lead=1

Sometimes America makes me cringe when I read stuff like this and I also echo you biff, BELFAST!! AHHHHH!

So this is a bad thing and this sort of thing would 'only' happen in America?? I don't think that is a fair comment. So what if people are being inspired by U2's lyrics? That's all the article is about. It's obvious America isn't the only place that happens. Agreed??

believer75, I kind of agree with you it does happen elsewhere, but you have to admit in America it's all a bit bible bashing isn't it and over the top. Also some of that article is just plain inaccurate.. Home town belfast?? Bono a catholic/protestant.. it's just a bit ignorant. Finally on the Boston DVD, how the heck do they know whether he is saying a prayer or not. I have watched that bit and all I can say is that it is far from clear... he may well have been saying "fucking hell Edge hurry up with that intro" for all we know!

matt76 said:
believer75, I kind of agree with you it does happen elsewhere, but you have to admit in America it's all a bit bible bashing isn't it and over the top. Also some of that article is just plain inaccurate.. Home town belfast?? Bono a catholic/protestant.. it's just a bit ignorant. Finally on the Boston DVD, how the heck do they know whether he is saying a prayer or not. I have watched that bit and all I can say is that it is far from clear... he may well have been saying "fucking hell Edge hurry up with that intro" for all we know!

Yes, the article is wrong about Belfast, but the other "errors" you cite are actually correct. Bono was reciting part of Psalm 116 (from the Eugene Peterson translation of the Bible); he did this at many shows on the last tour. And he is a Catholic/Protestant hybrid (father Catholic, mother Protestant).
And whatever one might think of using U2 songs as stepping off points for discussion of spiritual matters, I don't see how this is "bible bashing".:shrug:

:) I definitely agree with you on the Belfast thing. Where's that coming from anyway?? But take into consideration that the article was not written by the person doing the classes, the pastor, but someone from the hometown newspaper, that I would assume is not affiliated with the church and obviously not the most well-versed U2 fan. I don't think that is fair to hold that against America or the church.

I don't see where it is Bible bashing though. I don't think they are pounding the Bible so much as saying here is a band that has something great to say and they are making a positive influence. And they made a positive influence in her life and from the article, it seems she is just telling why.

I really don't see where they have said anything in this article (aside from the Belfast thing :) ) that hasn't been said or written before all through their more than 25 years of existence.

For example, there are countless books out there on U2 and interpretations of their lyrics. The majority of interpretations I come across all mention the Biblical influence on U2's songs. It's really hard to deny.

It might be worth mentioning, too that Bono a few years back also wrote the introduction to the book of Psalms in a series of books called the Pocket Canons.

Bono's view of the Bible, IMO, is far more progressive than the ideals of most of the churches here in America. In fact, I am more shocked and surprised than anything to have read this article and find that U2 and their message is making it into churches here in America!! That is a big idea, man! I know a lot of churches to be very close-minded and non-progressive so this is a big thing. It could change the way people perceive church and change the way things ought to be. It might also end up helping out with Bono's DATA campaign in the long run. On the website to that organization, there are scriptures and Biblical reasons why we should intervene and save an entire continent from going down the drains.

As far as him praying before 'Streets', I would like to believe that is what he is doing. I mean, isn't the song kind of a prayer in itself? I think its kind of a prayer for a better life, "where there is no more sorrow, and no more pain" as he says in the Popmart version of the song. I think it goes along with the theme of the song. It's hard to know for sure if he is praying on the Boston DVD or even before 'Streets' at the Super Bowl a few years back, but isn't that a mad idea to do that at a Rock Show?? If that's not being rebellious, I don't know what is :)

I do remember lots of stuff being written on the internet, though, about him praying on national TV 'round about the time of the Super Bowl, and that is what my friends and I thought he was doing, so I feel like its harmless to believe that is what he is doing. I mean, given what you know about U2 and their history (eg., the Shalom group, reading the Bible in the back of the tour bus in the early years...recently Edge said when asked what books he is reading, one was the Bible) would it be that hard to believe Bono would pray?

I have a feeling about Bono and the boys in U2. I think theirs is a message everyone needs to hear, regardless of race, religion whatever.

Like Bono said during the Zoo TV years, they beam across borders...that's what U2's about.

I think people read too much about U2 being into religion. They aren't that religious. I think they are just curious about God and Jesus. "Wake Up Dead Man" is a great song in which Bono is having a conversation with Jesus and it seems as if Bono is drunk and wants to know why the world is so fucked up.

I agree with you. I don't think they are that "religious", either. "Religion" cripples the world. It is an altogether different thing than "spirituality". To me, religion is only a set of practices....nothing more. I think U2 is much deeper than that.

'Wake Up Dead Man'....great song....but, since Jesus is not physically here with us to have a conversation with, wouldn't it also be some sort of prayer....an angry one, but still a prayer?

Yeah Agreed good stuff this!

Wake up Dead man, what a great song, everytime I think about POP i just think if they had finished it off better it would have been a great great album. As it is it is still really very good and the songs on there song for song are better in many ways than ATYCLB

believer75 said:
"only in America" what? elaborate please :)

elaborate? okay...

Bono: "only in America" - commenting on some of the eccentricities he encountered on the Joshua Tree tour.
(1987, from the 'Outside it's America' half hour rockumentary)

U2 are a fantastic rock group and the best, but that's all folks, nothing more than that. I have followed them since 1982 and experienced many times that magic atmosphere that you guys have too but that article is just...scarey and extreme. I can imagine the people in the class being afraid, very afraid.

Last edited:
Ewen, thank you for giving me the reference to your quote....I have never seen the rockumentary. I wish there was a way to view it, but I don't think it's available here in 2004. Sounds interesting, though.

Yeah, I don't see where passing off U2 lyrics as a new kind of religion or whatever would be the greatest of ideas, but I don't think that is what is really happening there. Just sounds like she's just trying to get people to look a little deeper into things, that's all. U2 is always a great place to start for that. I'm sure their music has opened quite a lot of people's eyes to what lies beyond what we see right in front of us.

I thought the article was interesting and well-done, except for the admittedly unexcusable error of citing Belfast as U2's hometown. I live in Iowa, and if I weren't so far away from Des Moines I would love to take this class!

I read the Register semi-occassionaly, and Munson is sort of Jekyl and Hyde as a music writer. He's written some great stuff, but other times I read his stories and reviews and am like WFT? :scratch:

Back
Top Bottom