(10-02-2006) Definitive 'Best Of' on the Way -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see this both from a casual fan and geek fan perspective.

I remember the Use Your Illusion albums that GnR brought out. I kind of liked their stuff and particularly wanted to have their better known stuff. However they were shared across both albums and I didn't particularly want to buy them both. So after a few years I was really pleased when they brought out their own 'BestOf BestOf' and immediately went out and bought it. So from a casual fans perspective it made sense for the record company to release it.

Coming to U2, it was great when they brought out their 80s and 90s albums. It was convenient to have their best material on one or two discs, especially when back then when it was less easy to create your own compilations.

So I can see the market for Definitive Collection. The new tracks are dangling carrots and the 'Collectionist' in me thinks I should go out a buy it. But effectively it's going to cost me £15 to get the same material I've already got, a charity record and a new track that isn't proven to be Definitive U2.

£15 for two tracks? I'm being led down the dreaded Limewire path that I never thought I'd tread. And all because of some Corporate greed.

It would have been much better to make the third album (I think of ATYCLB and HTDAAB as a set) and THEN do the best-of 2000-2010.

This reminds me of one of those albums you get at Target for $7.99 -- the kind of thing you pick up if you're late to a band, for example, or never bought any of their music and decided you finally wanted to do so.

As for criticising people that criticise the band, everyone is entitled to an opinion. And it's healthy for the band to read what people think. The debate that took place on fan sites may have gotten them to apologize and give more updates on the rescheduled gigs.

Maybe they do have a contractual obligation to meet with another best-of. But perhaps there can be a little more value-added than they were originally planning.

BigMacPhisto said:
Let's see..........

1. I Will Follow
2. New Year's Day
3. Sunday Bloody Sunday
4. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
5. Bad
6. With Or Without You
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. Where The Streets Have No Name
9. Desire
10. All I Want Is You
11. Mysterious Ways
12. One
13. Beautiful Day
14. Elevation
15. Vertigo
16. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
17. The Saints Are Coming
18. New Song #2

It'll be interesting to see if there's more than one format. "City Of Blinding Lights", for example, is a huge hit worldwide, but relatively unknown in the United States....
Why are you skipping POP?

Like i said if there is no POP song on it i will not buy it.

If they really feel the need of this fake "Definitive" Best Of (that surely won't contain any Pop :madspit: ) WHY NOT INCLUDING THE DAMN CD INSIDE U2 By U2 BOOK ????? :mad:

After all it seems they release this piece of s*** because of the Book and their 30th anniversary, right? :rant: :angry: :yuck:

At least it will be a way better chance (The Book and CD in one packaging) to know about the band for the brianwashed wannabes the band dedicate this unforgivable "Definitive" nonsense

Do the U2 team, management and the band are aware that fans from the most imporant U2 forums on the web (interference, u2star, atu2, u2spain, etc) HATE this nonsense called "Definitive" best of? :yell: :yuck: :angry: :down: :madwife:

ponkine said:
If they really feel the need of this fake "Definitive" Best Of (that surely won't contain any Pop :madspit: ) WHY NOT INCLUDING THE DAMN CD INSIDE U2 By U2 BOOK ????? :mad:

After all it seems they release this piece of s*** because of the Book and their 30th anniversary, right? :rant: :angry: :yuck:

At least it will be a way better chance (The Book and CD in one packaging) to know about the band for the brianwashed wannabes the band dedicate this unforgivable "Definitive" nonsense

Well, like randombloke said, this probably has almost zero to do with U2. If they are contracted to release a certain number of "Best Ofs", then the RECORD COMPANY will do it, regardless of a few dozens fans on the Internet. If you want someone to be mad at, contact the record company.

ponkine said:
Do the U2 team, management and the band are aware that fans from the most imporant U2 forums on the web (interference, u2star, atu2, u2spain, etc) HATE this nonsense called "Definitive" best of? :yell: :yuck: :angry: :down: :madwife:

Possibly.

Do you know that fans obsessed enough to post regularly on message boards are not indicative of the vast majority of fans around the world?

Not to say that the majority of U2 fans around the world DON'T feel the same way. But the majority of U2 fans are not regular posters on the internet.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Well, like randombloke said, this probably has almost zero to do with U2. If they are contracted to release a certain number of "Best Ofs", then the RECORD COMPANY will do it, regardless of a few dozens fans on the Internet. If you want someone to be mad at, contact the record company.

You talk like if U2 were victims of Record company dictatorship ... COME ON, do you think they must be oppressed by a Record Company tyrany?

I bet you that the fat rich lads from Universal Music didn't put the gun on Bono's head and say "YOU MUST RELEASE A BEST OF NOW YOU BASTARD!".

If they signed for 3 Best ofs ... do they don't have any right to express their opinion about the stuff on each compilation?.If the band wanted a 4-5 CD compilation of Singles, Promos and Digital Releases ... Do you think the guys from Universal Music would dare to say HELL NO! to U2?.

U2 have the same power that Beatles once had when they created Apple Records. I mean, they were totally free to release whatever comes to mind if they wanted to!. If U2 wanted, next year they can release a 5 DVD Live Box Set from 1980-2006, a Box of Outtakes, Demos and Unreleased tracks, A Lovetown Tour DVD, U2 Anthology DVD Box Set, The Remastered Catalog, etc, etc, and the record company will be on their knees behind any new U2 stuff because they know it will sale like hotcakes, no matter the content and quality of the actual product released.

Finally it's a band decision what is for release and what isn't, and they went totally wrong with this pitiful excuse for the bucks so called "Definitive" Best Of

I havent posted here since I got flamed here for saying that "A man and a woman" was the best song from HTDAAB. I still think that song stands apart from the rest of that rehashed bull crap that occupies the majority of their last two albums.

I agree with ponkine and his popmartian opinions.

Anyway, I feel compelled to post here again and say that I think U2 has not been the same studio wise since "MDH" standouts "Stateless" and "TGBHF". After that they mistakenly took off their creative hats to satisfy the folks who hated and continue to hate the 90's era pinnacle of POP. YES, this comes back to POP and its not the fans of POP who have caused the problem, but U2 themselves who have wanted to distance themselves from their work of genius. Instead of showcasing at least a couple of more songs during the last two tours from POP they have almost completely ignored while at the same bastardizing the original cuts with cheesy remakes and reedits as seen in the "Best of 1990-2000" collection.

Now forced for the better part of this decade to hash out cheesy "ESPN" hits, U2 is now relegated to comforming to the masses and forgeting about their art, if they still have it in them. If they are no longer in it for the art or creation of "new" ideas and music than they should quit before they become washed out, sold out musicians.

Peace,

I'll post again in 18 months.

Last edited:
ponkine said:

If the band wanted a 4-5 CD compilation of Singles, Promos and Digital Releases ... Do you think the guys from Universal Music would dare to say HELL NO! to U2?.

But why would they do that?!?!? You're forgetting that only a tiny fraction of U2 "fans" would be willing to fork over the dough for a five disc comp. A single disc could fly off the shelves, whether Interference members buy it or not.

snutes1 said:
Instead of showcasing at least a couple of more songs during the last two tours from POP

I don't know if you noticed, the band played 5 songs off Pop on Elevation tour. There might have been more on Vertigo hadn't it been for the Boy and AB loving on that tour.

The 1997 U2 had their own fair chance of making those songs (they were so great in fact 3 single versions came out). A Best of was an opportunity to have another try from a distance.

Last edited:
Z00rop@83 said:

i feel like a broken record here, it does not say ANYWHERE about it being a "hits" record...its "best of", if we are talking about the TRUE BEST you could throw "running to stand still" on there....and in my first post i said that i recognized my omissions ( lovetown songs, and hold me thrill me).....im not looking to be a jerk here it is clearly obvious that the album sint gonna eb for us, its gonna be for the casual fans with all the "known" songs, i made that clear in my 1st post, but what i also said was if it is to be a TRUE "best of" cd, by definition it SHOULD be a double disc with 25-28 songs, all the ones i mentioned as well as angel of harlem, desire, and hold me thrill me....

i just think if they are gonna saturate the market and flood people with U2, atleast do a fair representation of yourselves and give people the "best"

You should play your record on a slower speed. It's BEST KNOWN. That translates better into hits than Best Of.

And certainly you recognized your omissions. And I agree with you; they're omissions.

I read in one of the ZOOTV books that a Greatest hits pardoy ad was made in 1992/3. It was shown sometime during the some concerts that tour.

Did anybody see this in 1992/3?

Does anybody have a copy?(It may only circulate on fan-cam videos)

u2fp

Okay, Here's my guess

Streets - guaranteed
The Fly - Not the biggest hit, but certainly well known and a defining song
Beautiful Day - guaranteed
Vertigo - guaranteed
Desire - Kind of faded lately but still one of their biggest songs ever
The Sweetest Thing (Single Mix) - I wouldn't be surprised to see this. Yes, it's the exclusive on the 80's best of, but it became a pretty good hit in it's own right.
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - No brainer on paper, but the band seems to steer away from it so about 80/20 it makes it.
One - guaranteed
New Years Day - guaranteed
Pride - guaranteed
With Or Without You - guaranteed
Mysterious Ways - guaranteed
City Of Blinding Lights - 70/30 this makes it. I expect to see pretty good bomb representation because they're gonna want residual sales and will be hoping for the greatest hits to spike it's return to the chart. Sometimes charted better, and won a grammy, but too many slow songs could make this album boring the casual listener. 30/70 it's Sometimes.
Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)- Same as with COBL. It's alternate would be Stuck; and for the same reasons. If we get Sometimes, we'll for sure get Elevation; but the converse isn't necessarily true.
Sunday Bloody Sunday - Only variation could be we get the UABRS live version.
Original Of The Species (Single Version) - Like I said, I expect lots of HTDAAB representation.

However as another poster says, that leaves off serious contenders like HMTMKMKM, the losers between Stuck and Elevation and COBL and Sometimes, the big Rattle And Hum tracks: Angel of Harlem, When Love Comes To Town & All I Want Is You, the seminal (but I'm not sure how well known) I Will Follow, and Pop and Zooropa entirely. Sorry guys, I don't see them making it. Those are pretty much hardcore fan albums now. And the most likely song to make it that I left off, Even Better Than The Real Thing. Seems all but forgotten now, but this was a Top 40 hit and in massive MTV rotation.

Last edited:
Snowlock said:

You're saying they sold out. So everything you snipped that I attached says they're not merely selling out. They're sold. Bono himself introduced the band during the Elevation tour as a Family Business. He wasn't kidding. Don't buy the disk if you don't want it, I'm sure the two songs will be available individually on iTunes sooner or later. But to complain that the disk is selling out by a band that approaches what they do not just as art but as big business is stating the obvious. And deriding them for it is kind of pointless.

This isn't Pearl Jam, a massively big band struggling against the big business aspect of what they do. U2 imbrace it.

Actually, I thought the whole point of your first post was extreme
sarcas, which I rather enjoyed. I'm a big defender about any band selling T-shirts, books, DVD's, etc. After all, people want this stuff! I love my books and concert shirts, etc. But, of course, it's still selling out a bit. However, U2 have been this way since the early days. I'm sure if we could go back to 1985, people would complain about the release of "Wide Awake in America" as it only had a few songs, two of which were b-sides on other releases and one of which is a "fake" live song! Yet now, WAIA has been "accepted".

But this "Best Of the Best Of's" is a bit much. My only guess is that U2 just wanted to release a single between albums. As there was no soundtrack (like the "Batman" movie), they decided to do another "Best Of". I personally would have preferred them shopping around for a soundtrack release.

man, u2000's have been AWESOME!

atyclb
how to dismantle...
two best ofs!!

i can only imagine how kickass the 010's will be! a man can dream, can't he?!

Zoomerang96 said:

atyclb
how to dismantle...
two best ofs!!

You forgot the next album, Love Is All We Have Left To Call Our Own In This World (LIAWHLTCOOITW) :(

i honestly wouldn't know if you're telling the truth or not

is that the rumoured album title? it sounds like bono.

Zoomerang96 said:

atyclb
how to dismantle...
two best ofs!!

80's U2 - first half: Boy, October, War, Under..., UF and Wide Awake. Plus a video and many tours. Busy, busy, busy

80's U2 - second half: JT and R&H. Movie. Two tours. Hmmm...

90's U2: AB, Zooropa, Pop, ZOO TV video, Pop Video... 2 tours...then an 80's Best Of. Uh.... One can arguably count the Passengers, although...

Seems like from 1986 to 1999, U2's pace was about what it is now! And if U2 come out with another album in 2007/2008 with another huge tour, they will have actually toured more this decade than last!

So really, it seems from 1985 to present, U2 is not quite the band they were from 1979-1984. But then, when you look at their track record from 1985 to present (hits, #1 albums, U.S. sales, worldwide sales, sold out tours, Grammy awards, etc.), perhaps U2 know what they are doing.

i don't care how much they put out

i care if it blows or not

and by in large, it's of my opinion that their post 2000 work isn't good.

Zoomerang96 said:
i don't care how much they put out

i care if it blows or not

and by in large, it's of my opinion that their post 2000 work isn't good.

Dude. Just move on. Six years is a really long time to be dwelling on how much you hate a band. How can it be enjoyable to post about something you've become so incredibly disenchanted with? Personally, I post on boards dedicated to subjects that I actually like. But hey, that's just me.

Last edited:
What about instrumental-only versions of the songs? That would really develop their elderly fan base.

@Mike - the deluxe edition is going to be a DVD - not a CD!!! (so it says on (u2achtung.com)

my guess:

1. Beautiful Day
2. one
3. With or Without you
4. New Years Day
5. Streets
6. the Fly
7. Mysterious Ways
8. Vertigo
9. I still haven't found
10. all I want is you
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Pride
13. Discotheque
14. Numb
15. I will follow
16. Hold me thrill me ...

U2 is proceeding to beat themselves into every brain on the damn planet. This has backfired according to my friends and fellow Oklahomans who aren't exactly 'fans'. They think the band has become a hollow shell of it's former self. That's what I hear.

I don't see a problem with the release, but I don't think it will sell very well. It might debut in the Top 10, but won't stick around past Christmas. All of us have the other 'Best of' collections, and I highly doubt many will shevel out $20 for a couple new songs. It might surpass sales in the long run, but I prefer to think people will bypass this collection in lieu of the other collections.

That being said...the setlist will be, ;)

1)I Will Follow
2)New Year's Day
3)Sunday Bloody Sunday
4)Pride
5)With or Without You
6)I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7)Where the Streets Have No Name
8)Desire
9)Angel of Harlem
10)One
11)Mysterious Ways
12)Even Better Than the Real Thing
13)Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
14)Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
15)Beautiful Day
16)Vertigo
17)The Saints Are Coming
18)New song

The Zooropa/Pop album will be completely ignored, because they didn't feature hits (in the case of Zooropa) or anything memorable in the big picture (Pop's Discotheque and Staring at the Sun are black-eyes on their history).

Furthermore, does anyone else think putting the original versions of these 18 songs on one disc would surpass the 80 minute limit of compact discs? Is it going to be a two disc collection, or will they cut and paste sections of WTSHNN, SBS, and others?

Last edited:
snutes1 said:
I havent posted here since I got flamed here for saying that "A man and a woman" was the best song from HTDAAB. I still think that song stands apart from the rest of that rehashed bull crap that occupies the majority of their last two albums.

I agree with ponkine and his popmartian opinions.

Anyway, I feel compelled to post here again and say that I think U2 has not been the same studio wise since "MDH" standouts "Stateless" and "TGBHF". After that they mistakenly took off their creative hats to satisfy the folks who hated and continue to hate the 90's era pinnacle of POP. YES, this comes back to POP and its not the fans of POP who have caused the problem, but U2 themselves who have wanted to distance themselves from their work of genius. Instead of showcasing at least a couple of more songs during the last two tours from POP they have almost completely ignored while at the same bastardizing the original cuts with cheesy remakes and reedits as seen in the "Best of 1990-2000" collection.

Now forced for the better part of this decade to hash out cheesy "ESPN" hits, U2 is now relegated to comforming to the masses and forgeting about their art, if they still have it in them. If they are no longer in it for the art or creation of "new" ideas and music than they should quit before they become washed out, sold out musicians.

Peace,

I'll post again in 18 months.

Quote of the year. Seriously. I couldn't have said it better myself. Glad to see there are people who think the same I do about U2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom