(10-02-2006) Definitive 'Best Of' on the Way -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha - Rolling Stone magazine was right!

The bad news is that the next LP willl likely be in 2008 because the last 2 best ofs preceded the following LP releases by 2 years.

ntalwar said:
Ha - Rolling Stone magazine was right!

The bad news is that the next LP willl likely be in 2008 because the last 2 best ofs preceded the following LP releases by 2 years.
not really, according to edge, in an interview he done with an irish radio station, stated a new U2 album will be out next year

I think the 16 "Best Of" songs should be...

1. One - Achtung Baby
2. Please - Pop
3. Running to Stand Still - the Joshua Tree
4. Grace - ATYCLB
5. Original of the Species - HTDAAB
6. Stuck in a Moment - ATYCLB
7. Crumbs from Your Table - HTDAAB
8. Last Night On Earth - Pop
9. If God Will Send His Angels - Pop
10. The First Time - Zooropa
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday - War
12. "40" - War
13. Lemon - Zooropa
14. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - Zooropa
15. With or Without You - the Joshua Tree
16. Bullet the Blue Sky - The Joshua Tree

:huh: Why?

Non-singles or a Live best of with a good 90's and 00s B-sides disc I hope.

I knew this was rumoured a month or so ago, but I'm still surprised to see this. There's just no need for it surely?????

there may be no need for it in your eyes, but in U2's eyes, if all there greatest songs being on one disk is going to get them newer fans, or even giving the newer fans a look back at there greatest work, then am all for it

after all, why all the moaning? you dont have to buy it? there not just doing this to piss people off,

WHAT ARE THE ODDS THAT THE NEW SONG WILL BE AN ALBUM ONLY PURCHASE ON I TUNES????

The world is NOT made of hardcore U2 fans.
There'll be people who will like this.
And record companies do love to release "Best of" albums around christmas.
Stop the bashing. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

skott100 said:
Lets remember here that the world is not made up of hardcore U2 fans. I realize that may be a shock to some of us, and even I realize it makes little sense, but it is the world we live in.

There's a whole group of people out there who are aware of U2, may have an album or maybe just like them when they come on the radio. Buying the two best of's that are currently out may not be an attractive option for someone who wants "pride" and "beautiful day" on the same disc. So there is a "hole" that this CD will fill for some people. Very few, if any, of the people reading this site and posting to this board are amoung that group, but it does exist and here's the scary thing...

There's more of "them" than there are of "us".

So with all the money flying around in the fourth quarter a release like this makes good business sense. We don't have to like it, but it's undeniable. Plus, in the age of itunes, we can just buy the bonus songs ala carte.

Bingo! Thats definitely it. Plus, there will no doubt be some young Green Day fans who will go out and pick up the disc out of curiousity.

There was criticism much like this when the first Best Of came out, but Best Of's are primarily a way for a veteran band like U2 to attract new fans, and whats put on the disc has more to do with what would sell the best rather than what is felt to be the best music, although no doubt the two are sometimes the same.

Those that complain ironically tend to be among the most hardcore and end up buying the CD the day its released even if they will never admit to it. U2 is aware of that as well.:wink: So all in all its a great move, and prevents there from being a 4 year space of no new U2 music or releases. It cuts that down by half, and overall the band picks up more fans instead of loosing a few which would be normal if one was away without any releases for four years.

A new album of 12 songs would be better of course, but it just was not something they felt they could deliver given the time, continuing tour, and their desire to only release things of the absolute best quality.

One question would does the new Best Of CD complete the contract they had to do three best ofs or is it under a different deal. I think there will be a best of 2000 to 2010 or maybe best of 2000 to 2020. As for studio albums, the band has 3 albums left to do in their contract, including the one their working on now.

I'm cool with this. In all honesty, this is a bone they're throwing at us to hold us over for a year. I'll buy a few copies to give as presents too.

Last edited:
Snowlock said:

Closed circuit to 1983, they're not a punk band anymore.

Then why did Bono call HTDAAB punk rock from venus? :happy:

The downward spiral that started in 2000, continues.

This would be great news if it was a "Definitive 'Best of U2 LIVE' plus the 2 new singles. Now that would be a great package! If its just a reissuing of the studio tracks, come on guys!?!?

:eyebrow: another best of??? :( the only good thing is the new song.

Irvspad35 said:
This would be great news if it was a "Definitive 'Best of U2 LIVE' plus the 2 new singles. Now that would be a great package! If its just a reissuing of the studio tracks, come on guys!?!?

Now this would be a seller!

Let's see..........

1. I Will Follow
2. New Year's Day
3. Sunday Bloody Sunday
4. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
5. Bad
6. With Or Without You
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. Where The Streets Have No Name
9. Desire
10. All I Want Is You
11. Mysterious Ways
12. One
13. Beautiful Day
14. Elevation
15. Vertigo
16. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
17. The Saints Are Coming
18. New Song #2

It'll be interesting to see if there's more than one format. "City Of Blinding Lights", for example, is a huge hit worldwide, but relatively unknown in the United States....

Do you think that U2 could get a top-ten hit with the new song in the United States because of iTunes?

Zootlesque said:

Then why did Bono call HTDAAB punk rock from venus? :happy:

The downward spiral that started in 2000, continues.

Right. Pop. Wonderful. Got it. Need to discuss this more. Excellent album. Better than sex. Pop. Pop. Mofo. Pop. Pop.

Lame.

I cannot believe they are pressing an entire CD of existing music instead of just releasing a single for whatever the new song is.

U2 loves Christmas, and all the millions it brings to them.

U2 loves making U2 mixed-tapes.

If you cannot download the new song separately on itunes, then U2 has truly sold out. Bono talks about how much he appreciates us "spending our hard-earned cash" on them, but if U2 forces us to drop big money for one song, then they have no respect for us.

A new best of is a horrible idea! They should have just worked hard after the upcoming mini-tour and finished and released a new album by Nov. '07.

I already think they messed up the 2nd best of. It should have been completely comprised of Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop because that was the 90s experimental phase.

They could have had a 3rd best of after their upcoming new album (whenever that will be), and it could have pulled from ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and the new album. Doing it that way would have kept their history a lot cleaner.

I skipped the 4 pages of this thread so far... Looks like it's a partial marketing ploy for the holidays. According to the Universal Music site, the title is still listed as "TBA" (to be determined) and no track listing or photos are available yet. I'll try and check daily for updates...

It may not be entirely the band's idea. Record sales are down all around and record companies are looking for the saftest, surest thing they can put out there. A U2 release definitely fits into that.

Perhaps Universal was putting pressure on the band to put out the next collection U2 is contractually obligated to release and the guys figured it was better for them to have something to do with it, throw on two new songs, rather than have the record company release whatever it wanted.

ok so i just sat down and tried to comprise my own list of 16 songs...and seriously, i couldnt do it, and i REALLY am only including major radio hits....im having a hard time doing it on 20 tracks.

IMO the only real way to do this the RIGHT way would be a double disc...so here are my 20, the absolute minimum i could do this was 20

1. i will follow
2. NYD
3. SBS
4. Pride
5. Bad
6.WOWY
7. streets
8. ISHFWILF
9. even better than
10. The Fly
11. mysterious ways
12. lemon
13. stay
14. discoteque
15. staring at the sun
16. beautiful day
17. elevation
18. walk on
19. vertigo
20. COBL

i challenge anyone to argue any of these songs, they all belong, and there are some OBVIOUS glaring omissions...

particulary the singles from the lovetown era (when love comes, desire, etc.)

as well as a few songs from the 90's ( wild horses, numb, mofo, please, gone, Hold me thrill me, ground beneath feet)

call me crazy but i think its impossible to do this on one disc
:huh:

Only a LIVE Best of would be DEFINITIVE

I don't know about you guys, but when I heard of a "definitive" best of, the only thing I could think of would be a live album. I'm assuming that this isn't what they have in mind, but in my opinion it would be the only way that it wouldn't really be selling out and it would be the only thing that would make it worth having. Just a thought...

This fake Definitive Best Of will be not only a throwaway, the worst piece of s*** U2 have released, but also a very dangerous move as well.

Everytime when a band release a "Greatest Hits" filled with the same songs again and again their credibility go to hell. That's what happened to bands like Kiss, Deep Purple, Scorpions, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, etc, etc. Also that sellout move necessary end with fans overlooking the whole career, appearing the studio albums as disposable, only for collectors and die hard fans, and the "definitive" Greatest Hits as the only essential item for the fans of the band.

All the sublime songs not released as singles appear as destined for trivia discussions, and the tracks selected for the predictable "Definitive" crap are praised as the only good s*** the band has ever written.

A fantastic 25+ years career suddenly reduced to a bunch of arbitrary selected hits, one of the most important bands in Rock history reduced to a kinda by act and corporate sellouts. I simply can't believe it.

No matter which tracks the single disc "definitive" compilation will have, it will be the very worst mistake in U2's history, and will give the perfect chance to the anti-U2 media and all U2 haters to bash the band, now with a good deal of reason :(

Snowlock said:

Right. Pop. Wonderful. Got it. Need to discuss this more. Excellent album. Better than sex. Pop. Pop. Mofo. Pop. Pop.

When did I say anything about Pop? :scratch: :huh:

Eh, another Best Of... While I'm not terribly excited about it, I don't really care, either... why is it such a big deal to most of you that they are coming out with a single disc Best Of for those who may not want to drop 30-40 dollars on the 2 previous Best Of's...?

Though I'd rather a collection of b-sides and rarities, I'll still get the new single - either from iTunes or, if unable to go that route, I'll just Limewire the fucker :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom