(09-26-2007) Bono praises Myanmar protesters *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
Bono praises Myanmar protesters

LONDON (AP): Rock star Bono said Wednesday night that he is praying for Myanmar's pro-democracy demonstrators and he urged everyone to support them.

Speaking at the London premiere of the movie ``Across the Universe,'' the U2 frontman said he had ``slept uneasily'' since seeing extraordinary photos and TV footage of violence in the country.

After a month of mostly peaceful demonstrations against Myanmar's military government, security forces opened fire on protesters Wednesday, and witnesses said police beat and detained dozens of Buddhist monks.

``It is extraordinary to see the Buddhist monks, isn't it? Their nonviolence may, I pray, win out over the ugliness of the situation,'' Bono said. ``There is jeopardy. I slept uneasily last night, and I'm sure everyone else that watched did, too. How far are they going to have to go?''

Bono said he had met and corresponded with Aung San Suu Kyi, the pro-democracy leader of Myanmar's opposition National League for Democracy Party. ``U2 actually wrote a song _ ``Walk On'' _ for her,'' he said.
The singer said everyone should offer their support to the Burmese people.

``In Britain, (Prime Minister) Gordon Brown has shown some leadership as has (U.S. President) George Bush. Everyone should keep their fingers crossed and say your prayers for them (the protesters),'' the rock star said.

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/000200709270213.htm

Back
Top Bottom