(09-26-2004) U2 to kick off tour at Croke Park - SBPost*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 to kick off tour at Croke Park
By Ian Kehoe

U2 will kick off their 2005 European tour next June by playing Croke Park on June 26 and 27, The Sunday Business Post can reveal. The GAA and the band's management have concluded negotiations, and U2 will play a third show, possibly on June 28, if ticket sales go well.

The stage for the venue will be located on the newly developed Hill 16, and up to 80,000 tickets will be sold for each gig.

U2 previously played two Croke Park concerts in front of a total of 120,000 fans in 1986. They also performed at the stadium during the opening of last year's Special Olympics. Under the terms of the stadium's planning permission, the GAA is entitled to hold three non-sporting events each year.

It is understood the GAA was keen to attract a big-name concert in a bid to ease the stadium's financial difficulties.

Croke Park is €98 million in debt, and the GAA will pay €5 million on interest repayments this year alone.

http://www.sbpost.ie

Thanks to Macphisto2u!

Yup. Dublin. They're actually playing on the 17th and 18th. I should know - I just booked two tickets. :)

Ant.

Can you tell me where I can order tickets for these gigs?

I'd love to see U2 in Ireland..

Keep in mind that this isn't an official ticket sales outlet. You can try to buy tickets, but you're not guaranteed that they will have them as the sales haven't started yet. If you're lucky, you get the tickets at these (highly elevated) prices. If not, you're out of tickets (although I do think they reimburse you).

Just a warning...

Marty

Well I'm sorry but those ticket prices are just ridiculous!!!

What on earth is going on I wonder if PM know about this?:madspit:

I'm saving for a plane ticket to Ireland. I was going to go visit next year anyway. I'd rather see them on the Isle than in the states anyway. Let's just hope it's not impossible for peeps in the states to get tickets that aren't at scalped prices.

i'm officaly saving NOW!
so thats the European leg in June...prehaps they will defintly start in march next year :)

this is offical though right?...i'm thinking of buying them.

Last edited:
That's odd...they're starting the European tour in Ireland? They always played UK and Irish shows last, in August.

U2girl said:
That's odd...they're starting the European tour in Ireland? They always played UK and Irish shows last, in August.

Maybe because Croke park is so strapped for cash and need the money they want them to do it in June as quick as possible ;)

verte76 said:
I'll just have to wait until the tour hits the States. Next fall, I guess.

Actually, I think the tour is set to START in the States in the spring, and then move on to Europe. The above rumour is that the European leg of the tour will kick off in Dublin.

:sigh: :sigh: am just an ordinary working mom with two kids
and my income is nowhere near being able to afford a seat even in the farthest corner. i can only dream. but i would be happy enuf that their next tour will be a success. that is what really matters. more power to you guys!:wink:

FOR desire25
:(
FUNDRAISERRR!!!!! come on everybody
:(
fans must be able to go to the concerts!!!:(
:wink: :wink:
and otherwice mary me ;) and I will treat you like a woman ;)
:dance:

Hmmmmmm. Judging from those dates, I'm seeing their rumoured Glastonbury Festival appearance as less and less likely.

:madspit: ~Ultra

(actually, I can't complain too much since Mr Edge himself promised a visit here this tour - hey, I just cheered myself up!) :wink:

U2 could sell out 10 Croke Park's at €1000 a ticket. Having been a regular visitor to Croke Park to watch GAA matches I urge everyone to try their hardest to make it for those gigs. Croke Park has to be the most amazing stadium in Europe.

dublin_croke_park1.jpg

The part that isn't filled in is Hill 16, but that picture is old and they have almost finished converting it to be like the rest of the stadium.

I sooo want to go to this. I went to Slane 1 and it was freaking AWESOME!!! I loved the concert and Ireland is so pretty and so much fun. It would just be so much easier if they did these gigs in August. As it is I want to go but my freaking work might be a problem. Oh well I guess I'm going to have to go to as many shows as I can near me. :scream:

Tech said:
I sooo want to go to this. I went to Slane 1 and it was freaking AWESOME!!! I loved the concert and Ireland is so pretty and so much fun. It would just be so much easier if they did these gigs in August. As it is I want to go but my freaking work might be a problem. Oh well I guess I'm going to have to go to as many shows as I can near me. :scream:

I went to Slane 1 and yep, it was awesome! So with that in mind and the fact that U2 have not played in Croke Park for yonks, Im determined to see U2 live in Croke Park, which, imo, is their "spiritual home venue" since Bono said last gig there was one of U2's best ever!

Still I kinda hope its gonna be in August rather than in May/June as Im going to Oz for a month in Dec/Jan and the fact tickets themselves may go on sale in Nov/Dec... thats gonna hurt my wallet a bit! :scream: :scream: Fingers crossed that I will have enough money left to buy a few tickets to see U2 live!

dougal

Whats the point in that ticket website?

I really hope I can get tickets for on eof these Croke Park gigs, I am saving money + holiday for next year off work especially for U2 gigs!!!

Do you know how many of my friends who are also Irish could not get tickets to see U2 in Ireland? They only played 2 shows in
Ireland during Elevation and yet when i went to Slane1 it was covered with american tourists talking about this being their 20th time seeing U2,do you know how much that pisses people off ? quite alot...cant americans go to the 60 odd shows in america and let my friends get to see their favourite band in their country?

Last edited:
achtung baby,

yeah I'd be pissed as well if I didn't see U2 at home. Your also right that us as americans are spoiled and can go to mutiple shows.

As for me I went that week without emphasizing that show. I went to Ireland because I wanted to go and also because the vibe in the city with the show near was freaking a u2's fan paradise. So I'm sorry that your friends couldn't go but hey maybe this time around I'm sure there going to make sure that more tickets go to those fans at home.

achtung davy said:
Do you know how many of my friends who are also Irish could not get tickets to see U2 in Ireland? They only played 2 shows in
Ireland during Elevation and yet when i went to Slane1 it was covered with american tourists talking about this being their 20th time seeing U2,do you know how much that pisses people off ? quite alot...cant americans go to the 60 odd shows in america and let my friends get to see their favourite band in their country?

Dont blame Americans. You should have went out and got your tickets. If it was intended as a "Ireland Only" show...the tickets should have went on sale only in Ireland.....tourism saved Irelands economy ten times over....its a(mostly) free world mate......

AllBecauseofYou Since 1996, Ireland has out- performed all other EU economies. Its strong business ethos, favourable demographics, world class infrastructure, wage agreements, and progressive education system have been acknowledged as the key to this success.
In addition, all government parties (and potential government parties), are unambiguous in their industrial development policies. Along with the relevant state agencies, they recognise that investors require an adequate return. Hence, industrial and taxation policies ensure that the latter generate more profit per euro invested here than elsewhere in Europe.

LEARN WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT! and i did que for tickets, thats why if you read my earlier post it says i WENT TO slane1, alot of the people in the ques did not because they sold out in 45 minutes., most of tickets used by non irish residents came from package deals

Back
Top Bottom