(09-24-2004) KROQ Has 'Vertigo' -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I the only one who hasn't heard this song? :sigh: I guess I have to actually listen to the radio huh:ohmy: :) That's okay if I can I'm going to try not to listen to anything U2 until the new album is out but I don't think I have the will power.

melon said:
My review (and you're certainly free to disagree):

If I compare this to the first single off of ATYCLB, "Beautiful Day," I will admit that I like BD better. However, comparing it to the entirety of ATYCLB, it makes me feel cautiously optimistic that the new album will, indeed, be better, as a whole, as ATYCLB, to put it mildly, "bores" me.

"Vertigo," itself, is a solid song, and it definitely earns bonus points for that. I personally don't like the Spanish lyrics scattered in the song; sounds way too "trendy" for me to respect that. The "White Stripes" comparisons are annoying, yet unavoidable. It certainly does sound like something that they would do, and I'm currently unsure as to whether I think U2 copying WS is a "good" thing or a "bad" thing; but if U2 no longer likes their "signature" sound (1980s Edge guitar), then I guess that comparisons to other bands, past and present, are more than inevitable--and there are worse bands to imitate than WS.

I give "Vertigo" a 3 out of 4, and it certainly helps me build anticipation for the new album and world tour. Let's just hope we don't disappoint ourselves with unrealistic expectations in the meantime. :wink:

Melon

I don't see what you're saying about U2 abondoning their "signature sound". I mean the guitars are heavy and distorted but it's laced with The Edge's classic sound , especially the solo. To me it sounds like vintage U2 just modernized. As for all the comparisons to the White Stripes and the Garage style rock; I think it's hilarious that U2 manages to pull this sound off better than anyone and on their first attempt at that. I agree that Beautiful Day may have more staying power but I think Vertigo grabs your attention alot more. BD grew on me where as Vertigo I liked instantly. It "rocks" harder in that stereotypical "Rock" sense than BD and that I think will appeal to alot of younger fans or even youngens who aren't U2 fans. Personally I think this is probably the most perfect lead off single they could've come up with. It rocks in an untypical U2 way yet still sounds like vintage U2.

Comparing to other bands? What are you guys talking about???

I've been reading the things that people have to say here about this song....First of, hats off to U2. They have done an amazing job with this song. Strong, solid, energetic and catchy. Here is what "I" think of this nonsense of comparing them to other bands. First of all, you can't compare U2 to any other band what so ever. They are in a stage of there own. They have earned there respect. Mind you, I like the White Stripes. There sound is really good. Every band has a different sound. That is what defines them. U2 on the other had have a certain finesse to there style. I love every single album. They are all different. So far, there has been two different stages in there carreer. The 80's & 90's. I like the fact that they have experimented with almost anything that you can think of. And they have done a good job at it. True that not all there material may be out there in the mainstream like there hit singles but I have found out from listening to there albums over and over and over again that they are truly good songs. There songs never bore me. Let's not forget that they have been around for 25 years now. They emerged with there own style from the beginning. You can't say that they are copying other bands. That is just silly. It just shows that they still have it on the midst of experimenting with electro sounds and other ambient sounds. From the sound of this song, they have simply gone back to there roots. To me and most of us here is a hit. It sounds like even the radio Dj's dig this song a whole too. Let's wait and see in a couple of weeks, maybe even days to see how it does on the charts. Im hoping for a number 1 spot in the charts. Remember, they are in a stage of there own. No one can touch them. They are icons. Go Vertigo!

For those of you confused about the numbers at the beginning of the song:
He is counting from 11 -14 in french.

11 - onze

12 - douze

13 - trieze

14 - quatorze

I am confident this is correct.

U18247
Sorry but I think you are wrong there! it's not a spanish accent there. To begin with I thought it was Portuguese, but anyway it is not french!!

11 - onze

12 - douze

13 - trieze

14 - quatorze

Well, if it was French, then the final "e" in "quatorze" would be silent, non? But it is clearly pronounced. I go with Spanish, since we also hear the words "hola" and "donde esta" in the song.

Sorry I meant to say it does sound like a spanish accent and agree with you Biff that if it was french as well as having an oo la la frog accent, it would also have a silent e.

u18247 said:

11 - onze

12 - douze

13 - trieze

14 - quatorze

It is wrong. I am french and I can tell you that he is counting in...an approximate spanish. He says : "unos, dos, tres, catorce".

Why "unos"? "Unos" means "some" not "one". And what about "catorce"?? That means "fourteen" and not "four". Bono, please, learn spanish...

I'm proud to be a...frog

I think what you mean is:

Once, doce, trece, catorze

(eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen)

Spanish language doesn’t impress me either.
Personally, I’m not interested in learning to speak Spanish fluently, even because it’s easy for us, Portuguese, to understand this language (despite our Spanish neighbours saying that in they do not understand us). Therefore, I think that Bono does not have to learn to speak Spanish; it is good enough for me that he keeps doing he does better and it would be awesome to have the band back to Portugal again.

I love the song.

White_Dove said:
I think what you mean is:

Once, doce, trece, catorze

(eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen)

?? No, what I mean is :"unos, dos, tres, catorce" (I think Bono wanted to say : "uno, dos, tres, quatro")

In portuguese : "um dois três quatro". So Bono does not speak portuguese too

u18247 said:

11 - onze

12 - douze

13 - trieze

14 - quatorze

NO..HE IS COUNTING SPANISH!....AND WHEN HE SINGS HELLO HE ALSO SAYS HOLA! (HELLO IN SPANISH) AND WHEN HE SAYS A PLACE CALLED VERTIGO EDGE SAYS (DONDE ESTA?) WHERE IS IT?:bono:

BonoFox1, you got it i reckon!
14 could be the number of albums as said earlier by someone

That "donde Esta" bit is cool

PETIT PRANCE, you should be proud to be a frog! Great country you live in..

WHITE DOVE _ portugal is a top country, well done on EURO 2004 shame you could not go all the way, still you beat us!!
Spanish is a cool language though and if that is BONO speaking at the beginning the pronunciation of catorce is pretty damn good!!!

Back
Top Bottom