(09-24-2004) KROQ Has 'Vertigo' -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Intro

e---------------------------------------
B---7/9-------7--9-----------------------
G---7/9--2x--7--9-----------------------
D---7/9-------7--9-----------------------
A---5/7--------5--7------7-7-7-7-6-6-5----
E--------------------------5-5-5-5-4-4-3----

Verse - "Lights go down, it's dark..."
e---x----------------------------------------------
B---x---------------------------------------------
G---x----------------------------------------------
D---x----------------------------------------------
A---x-----------------------------------------------
E---x----------------------------------------------

Chorus -

E D
Hello Hello Well I’m
G A
At a place called vertigo
E D
It’s everything I wish I didn’t know
G
But you,
A
Give me something

Back to Intro
I can feel!

"They know that they can't dance, at least they know..."

e-----(12)-----------------------------------------
B---------(12)-------------------------------------
G--------------(7)---Repeat this-------------------
D--------------------------------------------------
A--------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------

Break:

Simple

G D G A G D G A

Solo

Very simple rock solo:

e-----0---0---0---0--0--------0---------------------------------
B-----10--10--10--9--9--9--7--7--7--5--5--5---------------------
G---------------------------------------------------------------
D--------------------------------------------------------------
A--------------------------------------------------------------
E---------------------------------------------------------------

This is more correct en complete!

Greetz Jeroen

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this song is amazing. i absolutely love it! just listened to it 4 times in a row and i'm not bored. it sounds like something off boy mixed with some modern garage bands- hives, franz ferdinand- and then spiced up with u2 magic! it's simply brilliant! i can't wait for the album!

TOP OF THE POPS - TONIGHT

U2 are performing on BBC 1, TOP OF THE POPS tonight - well, actually from their studio apparently.

XIII said:
However, Vertigo seems to be like this on the promo-CD ...

I think that this is the actual single as we were intended to hear it. U2 seem to be making a conscience effort to make a raw sounding record. Although the sound is catchy for the moment, I don't think anyone will be talking about that "great single" Vertigo in years to come. To me, this is the sound of a band getting older and trying to stay hip. Don't get me wrong, I do like the song.

On another note, have you guys seen the (alleged) promo art work for the album? I personally think this is the worst design I've even seen. I hope it's a hoax.

hxxp://galeon.com/u2magazine/NUEVA/universalpromoU2.jpg

Just want to say that it would be cool for everyone to call and email their local stations that are playing the song and giving them positive feedback and thanking them for playing it, and if your station isn't playing it to bug them to get to it!!

whackjester said:

I think that this is the actual single as we were intended to hear it. U2 seem to be making a conscience effort to make a raw sounding record. Although the sound is catchy for the moment, I don't think anyone will be talking about that "great single" Vertigo in years to come. To me, this is the sound of a band getting older and trying to stay hip. Don't get me wrong, I do like the song.

On another note, have you guys seen the (alleged) promo art work for the album? I personally think this is the worst design I've even seen. I hope it's a hoax.

hxxp://galeon.com/u2magazine/NUEVA/universalpromoU2.jpg

Why is it that people think that because a band is over 40 that any rocking song they make is some desperate attempt to stay "hip"??? If you just sit and listen to this song - this is where U2 is from, what they're about, their roots of punk with their own twist and that U2 style. If you just listen to it, you realize that they do this sound better than any band around. they aren't struggling to stay hip, they're showing the youngsters that everyone else still has a lot to learn.

Can someone PLEASE e-mail me a clean version of Vertigo? I heard the streaming copy and it's difficult to hear Bono. This song rocks and I am so excited that we'll finally get the new album next month!

bbeeh1@yahoo.com

Thanks!!!!!

beehbad said:
Can someone PLEASE e-mail me a clean version of Vertigo? I heard the streaming copy and it's difficult to hear Bono. This song rocks and I am so excited that we'll finally get the new album next month!

bbeeh1@yahoo.com

Thanks!!!!!

Dude.... Read the Entire thread befor asking stupid questions..:mad:

Carlo,

I did read the entire thread before posting. There were two links referenced earlier both of which are now unavailable/not working, therefore, I asked someone from the Boards to send me a cleaner version.

And, a nice individual from the Boards did in fact forward it to me.
:D

womanfish said:

Why is it that people think that because a band is over 40 that any rocking song they make is some desperate attempt to stay "hip"??? If you just sit and listen to this song - this is where U2 is from, what they're about, their roots of punk with their own twist and that U2 style. If you just listen to it, you realize that they do this sound better than any band around. they aren't struggling to stay hip, they're showing the youngsters that everyone else still has a lot to learn.

You forget that we are on a U2 fan site. If I wasn't a fan of the band, your comments might be more justified. Although I'm a fan, I'm not a "fanboy" and we can agree to disagree. It's not the fact that U2 made a "rockin'" song that I had a problem with. It's the fact that if I turned on the radio now, I would think it was the White Stripes, the Vines, or the Hives that I was listening to.

Something else...It's funny I was just telling someone exactly what you had stated about U2 doing that sound better than anyone else. I stated that any new U2 music is better than anything else out there now. That being said, I still don't think that this song will be that memorable. If U2 has made a record that sounds like the above mentioned bands, I don't see it selling that well. Kids drive record sales and kids would much rather buy Linkin Park and Korn.

The song totally rocks. Funny enough I heard it first from a link posted at a Guns N' Roses site(mygnr.com):hmm: Anyways most everyone there also thought this song was great. Mind you the "Vertigo" thread there doesn't generate the same response as here. :shrug: Anyways the music on this song totally rocks and I think it is a deadly lead off single for the album. My only complaint is that it seems they have sacraficed the volume on Bono's voice to make the guitars more prevelant. Maybe it's just me. Anyways the song rocks but I'm hoping the rest of the album isn't mixed like this. Bono's voice is too freaking amazing to be drowned out by "angry guitars".
Oh and for those of you who seem to think The Edge "wussed out" on the solo; I have to totally disagree. His solo gave it that classic U2 feel. I love the way The Edge isn't all full of the guitar solo crap. Guitar solos so often have nothing to do with the song anyways. If The Edge didn't feel it necessary for and extended solo than he's probably right.:yes:

Last edited:
This song is the fucking shit!!! I love it. I'm just imagining it live :bow: :applaud: It knocks the piss outta everything else out there right now. Still Bono's voice needs to be louder but this thing is gonna blow up radio like nothing else has in a long while. Kinda like an Atomic Bomb:dance:

I'm here in Australia and this is gonna blow the frickin country of its tits!!!!!!!!

I'm completely bown away..... I was gonna go out but I'm gonna have the boys over for a tribute to rock'n rooooollllllll!!!!!!!

At Last.....

At last I was late for work yesterday morning cos I was waiting for Virgin Radio to play it for the first time!!!

And I Love it, heard it a few times and it gets better and better!!!

My review (and you're certainly free to disagree):

If I compare this to the first single off of ATYCLB, "Beautiful Day," I will admit that I like BD better. However, comparing it to the entirety of ATYCLB, it makes me feel cautiously optimistic that the new album will, indeed, be better, as a whole, as ATYCLB, to put it mildly, "bores" me.

"Vertigo," itself, is a solid song, and it definitely earns bonus points for that. I personally don't like the Spanish lyrics scattered in the song; sounds way too "trendy" for me to respect that. The "White Stripes" comparisons are annoying, yet unavoidable. It certainly does sound like something that they would do, and I'm currently unsure as to whether I think U2 copying WS is a "good" thing or a "bad" thing; but if U2 no longer likes their "signature" sound (1980s Edge guitar), then I guess that comparisons to other bands, past and present, are more than inevitable--and there are worse bands to imitate than WS.

I give "Vertigo" a 3 out of 4, and it certainly helps me build anticipation for the new album and world tour. Let's just hope we don't disappoint ourselves with unrealistic expectations in the meantime. :wink:

Melon

I finally heard it today on the radio while I was driving to do weekly shopping (how lame is that?) and I about had a fit--my own little "Beatlemania" moment in the car. The song kicks ass!

And, as far as people saying that U2 is copying/being influenced by White Stripes, et al, 2 things: 1) good musicians influence one another and U2 can't stay in Joshua Tree mode forever (no matter how much some people wish it were so); and 2) who's to say that the Stripes, etc., weren't influenced by U2 (Achtung, Zoo, etc.) and now U2 is just taking that sound in a new direction?

Let's avoid that awful, circular argument about "who sold out and when"--it's a waste. Song is good. We are happy U2 fans. New album out soon! All that matters!

Back
Top Bottom