(09-23-2005) U2 'bomb shelter' full of joy - South Bend Tribune*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 'bomb shelter' full of joy

By VIRGINIA BLACK
Tribune Staff Writer

CHICAGO -- Since 1987, I've been to at least one show of nearly every U2 tour.

I've seen my share of concerts from lofty spots in huge arenas but never envied the people in the "mosh pit." That's the area in front of the stage in most concerts where wild young things stand in line for hours to be smashed up against other sweaty people, dancing and singing wildly, women tossing their panties on the stage, and so forth.

I know my age is showing. Even worse? I'm short. Who wants to endure all that and not actually see a concert?

But floor seats we had Tuesday night, so my husband, Mark, and I lined up at the United Center. Our tickets were scanned once by hand, then in a machine, and our floor seats were confirmed.

The stage is set up on one end of the oval floor, and a small, circular catwalk extends out from that. Most floor "seats" run the length of the main floor. Only a tiny group is allowed in the circle created by the catwalk, called the "ellipse," or, because the band's latest album is called "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," the "bomb shelter."

When the attendant ran Mark's ticket, the screen lit up with the "Vertigo" tour logo -- and I hopped up and down. "I'm with him!" I squealed to the attendant, who laughed and asked, "Is she really with you?"

We were giddy. We were in "the bomb shelter." Look, there's the section up by the ceiling and behind the stage where we were in May!

Even sometimes having to peek around heads and flailing arms, I was able to see things I had seen only on film before.

Bono doesn't wear any rings, but the Edge wears a platinum-looking wedding band. I could see the seams in Bono's clothes, the sweat dripping down his face, the veins that would bulge in his temples when he hit the high notes.

I caught the amused eyes of Bono, the Edge, and bass player Adam Clayton, who can really see only the people right in front of them; I'm sure they promptly forget about individual faces in the mass of fans before them every night, but they saw me, and smiled, and I felt a connection unlike any concert I've been to. I was really there.

Of course, by the end of the evening, I was growing weary of the crush of humanity. Young men felt free to push their way to the front. Someone around me had apparently not laundered their clothes well. A tall, drunken blonde leaned against me during several quieter moments, screaming, "B-o-n-n-n-n-o-o-o-o! Yes! Bono! Sing it! Yes!"

Bono dedicated "For the First Time," one of the band's less-played songs, to "Father Scully at Notre Dame," with whom the band apparently bonded when it played here in 2001. (Two young men standing right in front of me whose elbows I had been dodging much of the evening leaned in together and yelled, "Go Irish!")

The song has a religious overtone, including such lyrics as these:

He said, "I have many mansions

And there are many rooms to see."

But I left by the back door

And I threw away the key ....

For the first time, I feel love."

That says it all.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sto...20050923-sbt-MICH-D7-U2__bomb_shelter__fu.sto

Some people don't want to get shoved around by psycho fans or have their ears screamed in by drunks while they're at a concert. I don't think there's anything crazy about that.

Chizip said:
i hate anybody and everybody who has been in the ellipse :mad:

awww you've never been in the ellipse?? :hug: me either, but hopefully I will in Cleveland...I'll be on the floor at least!!

One of U2's less-played songs? Try never played, lol. Good article though :up:

yeah the idiot called the song "For the First Time" too

these idiots get into the ellipse while i get left out int he cold :(

AtomicBono said:

awww you've never been in the ellipse?? :hug: me either, but hopefully I will in Cleveland...I'll be on the floor at least!!

One of U2's less-played songs? Try never played, lol. Good article though :up:

I'll see you there Atomic (and maybe in the ellipse!!)

Chizip said:
yeah the idiot called the song "For the First Time" too

these idiots get into the ellipse while i get left out int he cold :(

So they got the name of the song wrong by one word. They still liked the song. They referenced it in their article. they quoted the lyrics.

Why does everyone think they have more of a reason to get into the ellipse than others?

This is the reason I love the random order thing.

I'm sorry but if you're writing an article for a newspaper you should double check the name of a song you are referencing to be sure it is right. also double check the fact that it isn't "rarely" played, it had never ever been played before that. if one is such a big fan you'd think they'd at least know the names of their songs.

ive waited in line for over 135 hours for 7 shows for an average of over 19 hours per show. ive never been inside the ellipse. yet jackasses who show up as the show is starting, who dont know half the songs, get let into the ellipse because they need to fill it up.

sorry but im a little bitter and think the system sucks for the hardcore fans.

Back
Top Bottom