(09-21-2004) U2, Avril, Coldplay, Pearl Jam Do It For The Lady - MTV*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/f/For_The_Lady/cd_cover_rhino.jpg[/SIMG]
U2, Avril, Coldplay, Pearl Jam Do It For The Lady

U2, Avril Lavigne, R.E.M. and Pearl Jam are among the artists donating tracks to a benefit album for Aung San Suu Kyi, an imprisoned Burmese humanitarian known to some as "Asia's Nelson Mandela."

For the Lady: Dedicated to Freeing Aung San Suu Kyi and the Courageous People of Burma, due October 26, features previously released tunes by Lavigne, Coldplay, Bright Eyes and Travis, while Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Damien Rice and Better Than Ezra contribute live cuts unavailable anywhere else. Also exclusive to the album is "Let Freedom Ring," a studio track by Audioslave guitarist Tom Morello's solo incarnation, the Nightwatchman.

cd_cover_rhino.jpg

U2 dedicated their contribution, "Walk On," to Aung San Suu Kyi on All That You Can't Leave Behind, the album on which it first appeared. The double album's final track, "Tempest of Blood," was written by a jailed student activist for democracy in Burma (which is also known as Myanmar).

Aung San Suu Kyi is the world's only imprisoned Nobel Peace Prize recipient. For her efforts to promote democracy and human rights in Burma, she has garnered the support of President Bill Clinton, Senator John McCain, former Secretary of State Madeline Albright, Secretary of State Colin Powell and Desmond Tutu, among others. For the past 14 years, she has been under house arrest by Burma's repressive junta.

Proceeds from the sale of the album will benefit the nonprofit organization U.S. Campaign for Burma.

For the Lady track list, according to the album's publicist:

Disc 1:

U2 - "Walk On"
Pearl Jam "Betterman" (live)
Coldplay - "In My Place"
Ani DiFranco - "In the Way"
Bright Eyes - "No Lies, Just Love"
R.E.M. - "Drive" (live)
Avril Lavigne - "Complicated"
Talib Kweli featuring John Legend - "Around My Way"
Lili Haydn - "Unfolding Grace"
Peter Gabriel - "Here Comes the Flood"
Natalie Merchant - "Motherland"
Maná - "Cuando Los Angeles Lloran"
Rebecca Fanya - "Paper Airplanes"
Ben Harper - "Oppression" (live)

Disc 2:

Paul McCartney - "Freedom" (live)
The Nightwatchman - "Let Freedom Ring"
Eric Clapton - "Wonderful Tonight"
Sting - "Fragilidad"
Bonnie Raitt - "Angel From Montgomery" (live)
Damien Rice - "Lonely Soldier" (live)
Travis - "The Cage"
Guster - "Keep It Together"
Hour Cast - "Memories and Lies"
Indigo Girls - "Perfect World" (live)
Better Than Ezra - "Get You In" (live)
Matchbox Twenty - "So Sad, So Lonely"
Mun Awng - "Tempest of Blood"

—Joe D'Angelo

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1491225/20040920/index.jhtml?headlines=true

This is ABSOLUTELY GREAT news! :yes:

This CD will DEFINITELY BRING MORE NEEDED ATTENTION to one of the world's GREAT LEADERS OF PEACE and DEMOCRACY and, unfortunately, the world's most infamous political prisoner - Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. :up:

Aung San Suu Kyi is as much a renowned and respected world leader for Peace, Justice and Democracy as are her other Nobel Prize winning cohorts - Nelson Mandela, Rev. Desmond Tutu, Mother Teresa etc.

I will DEFINITELY BUY THIS CD when it comes out and I encourage all Interferencers to do the same.:wink:

And to learn more about Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the struggle she leads to bring peace and democracy to Burma go to http://www.dassk.com .

WHAT YOU GOT THEY CAN'T STEAL IT. NO, THEY CAN'T EVEN FEEL IT. WALK ON! :bono: :love: :angel: :hug:

Interesting mix of artists. Nice to see Matchbox 20 and Guster on there. :yes: Question, though: why the Spanish version of Fragile? :hmm: Just a thought.

U2 - fantastic
Pearl Jam - fantastic
REM - very good
Coldplay - very good
Avril Lavigne - WHAT THE FUCK?!!!

These are simply artists who support the idea of freedom and justice for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the People of Burma. :wink:

Whatever one thinks of Avril, I'm glad that she was willing to speak up for freedom and justice for Burma and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

I say - the more attention to this issue, the better! :yes:

WHAT YOU GOT THEY CAN'T DENY IT - CAN'T SELL IT OR BUY IT..... :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Back
Top Bottom