(09-20-2005) Kanye – 'U2 And I Connected' - MTV.uk*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrBrau1-- Chuck D never called the President a racist on television, true. But he never had the forum to do so. Even at Public Enemy's biggest point, they weren't standing next to vanilla actors on Big Three telethons. Would Chuck D have called Bush a racist at the Katrina telethon if he'd had the chance? I don't doubt it.

I would hope, however, that he'd have planned his statement in advance instead of the nervous, spur-of-the-moment thing that Kanye appeared to do :)

Something I've noticed-- not just here, but on political forums as well-- is that people aren't disagreeing with what Kanye said. They disagree with his decision to do it on national television. Anyone care to shed some light on why this is?

For my part, I admire the stance he's taken against homophobia in mainstream rap, and I can't wait to see him in StL (and possibly in Omaha if we can make the drive). My group will not be booing.

Catman said:

I'm actually really worried about this :mad: U2 fans are supposed to be the most supportive and interesting group of people... if they boo Kanye West at the concert it will really tarnish U2's good name, IMO.

Fans booed Pearl Jam at a Pearl Jam show, when Eddie started Bush-bashing.

Should they have sat quiet, then cheered? even if they are 100% in disagreement?

MrBrau1 said:
Fans booed Pearl Jam at a Pearl Jam show, when Eddie started Bush-bashing.

Should they have sat quiet, then cheered? even if they are 100% in disagreement?

...and U2 were booed at the MTV Europe awards during Popmart during their acceptance speech, blasting the president at the time.

I'm not saying the audience shouldn't speak their mind if something happens that they feel really strongly against. If, during the course of Kanye's performance, he rips up a picture of the Pope and/or starts degrading the President, then fine, go ahead and show your disapproval of Mr. West. However, if all he's doing is performing, trying his best to get the crowd moving, then don't show your contempt for the man just because you don't like his music. It's like if U2 were playing to an audience of Outkast fans and were being booed by the crowd... not only would it show how "unhip" U2 were, but it'd also be a demonstration of Outkast's fan community's general dislike for U2's music.

All I'm saying is that if all Kanye West does is perform without any bashing of presidents, the crowd *should* accept him. All he's said so far was one stupid comment that most people have taken way too far. I don't agree with what he's said, but I'm not gonna completely disregard his music for it, either.

at least it adds some excitement to the show instead of some boring band like KOL performing. People are talking about it, and despite what people say, a lot of people will be in their seats to see him just to see how the crowd reacts to him.

I know I will be there early (if I get tickets to the show). I'm not a big rap fan, used to be, but I think Kanye has some talent. Damien Marley is going to win some people over at his shows because that guy is pretty good, especially if he covers some of Bob's songs.

Didn't public enemy burn a kkk manacine on a cross at one of the shows for u2?? Anyway, it was at the height of their controversy. No matter what Kanye says (around his album release date), he is nowhere near as controversial as PE was during the ZOO TV days.

Last edited:
marietta said:

Hey Linda...are you in Dallas? I know a few other fans that are here also...we get together every few fridays or so...

I am coming up from san antonio. Coming up to Dallas is a lot more pleasant than heading to Houston. I saw them in San Jose in April and it was amazing even though my seats weren't the best ( Ticketmaster sucks ) . My Dallas seats are better ( section 106 ) so I have been looking forward to this all summer.

I enjoy listening to the opening acts a little bit too. So I was curious who it would be or if it was announced yet.

:hyper: for Kayne! :up: :up:

BTW, when was the last time you heard U2 say anything negative about another act? Let's respect the band's decision....afterall, Kayne said he was moved by U2's music so he at least has great taste! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom