(09-19-2005) Damian Marley Added to the Fall Opener List -- Billboard.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Damian Marley Added to the Fall Opener List

Billboard.com announced that Damian Marley has been added to U2's ever-growing list of third leg openers. According to the site, Marley, youngest son of U2 hero Bob Marley, will be on the bill from Oct. 16 in Philadelphia to Nov. 9 in Oakland, Calif.

Marley was the subject of a Los Angeles Times feature Sunday that can be read here.

Interesting. So he'll be opening in Texas & Vegas & DC for me.

Great, I should know all of his stuff in detail after 6 shows.:huh:

Guess that means Detroit as well.

I gotta say...I'm a bit disappointed because there have been so many acts on this tour I would have loved to see open...and all I know about this guy is that Bob Marley is his dad! :huh:

I guess all I can say is...mayhaps Damian will blow me away, and I'll love him, and I'll be eating my words. :wink:

When selecting openers, it seems that U2 is more interested in bringing on band they like rather than finding people who will have broad appeal. The guys must see something in all these acts so maybe it'll be cool. The Kings of Leon did manage to improve its performance over the three shows I saw.

he's good

Damian actually is good. He had a hit this summer, one of the best reggae songs in a long time, called Welcome to Jamrock. it's on itunes if you want to check it out

Check Damien's website tho, there are conflicts with a couple of the dates that look like he is already booked, unless of course the listing on his site hasn't been updated or changes have been made. He's not too bad. Sure beats Kings of Leon any day, or Kanye West in my opinion!

marley

damian marley is quite good! he's not his dad, but his stuff is good. i have heard lot s of songs by him , i have a friend who is from jamacia and he listens to him all the time.

I probably wouldn't go to see him on my own, so I like that he's opening the two Philly shows I'll be seeing. Hopefully he'll give us something mellow and happy, and the people around me won't be as rude as they were in May and try to shout to one another through his entire set.

Thank you, hiphop and the others, who are giving some respect to Damien Marley!

I sae Damien's FATHER in concert several times in the 1970's (yes-I'm that old) and although Damien's music is a fusion of Hip-Hop and Reggae, it's GREAT MUSIC!

Conscious Music - music that U2 itself has much more in common with than anything the Kings of Leon could have produced.

And with Bono's Love of Damien's father's (Bob's) music and of conscious Reggae in general - this will be absolutely WONDERFUL!

I can't wait to see how Texans react to Damien.:ohmy:

EXCELLENT CHOICE, U2! :wink:

LOL Jamila.

Well, after reading that article, I guess I have to start by doing one thing:

Getting hold of "Welcome to Jamrock." Anybody have an MP3 link? Shocked that mainstream USA has not had the song in heavy rotation if it has already had such a global impact. Everyone else seems to know about it.

And you guys should know by now that any excuse Bono has to conferm converse, perform, or otherwise hobnob with, any living link to his number one lifetime hero (John Lennon is a distant second, apparently), he will take advantage of.

Jamila, you saw Bob LiVe?!?!? You lucky so and so.....:mad: :wink:

I saw Bob first time in 1975(Rastaman Vibration tour), then in 1978 (Kaya tour) and 1979 (Survival tour).

I was only a teenager like Bono when I found Bob's music, but it has never removed its impact on my life.

"Jamrock" is actually pretty amazing. :wink:

Sorry you feel that way, Rooster.

Evidently U2 must disagree with you. :ohmy:

Jamila said:

And me. I would have picked any of their other opening acts over Damian Marley. But, like I said...mayhaps he'll wow me, and I'll be absolutely thrilled that he was the opener.

Jamila said:

I guess my belief in the infallible nature of U2 is over. Is it possible that I have no taste in music since U2 has selected someone I don’t like? I mean unless they are wrong. Maybe I shouldn’t voice any opinion that may contradict what U2 believes. I shouldn’t question them since what they believe is universal fact. I guess I'll take it standing.

I don't think that U2 has a problem if someone doesn't share their taste in music in every way.
Music is all about taste, and no one has totally the same taste another has, so they won't have a problem if you dislike Damian Marley.

And nobody should be blamed for not liking what U2 likes.

Back
Top Bottom