(09-18-2005) U2 Show Designer Willie Williams Leaves Vertigo Tour - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/interview/willie_trabbie.gif[/SIMG]
U2 Show Designer Willie Williams Leaves Vertigo Tour

It's something U2 fans have whispered about over the past couple months since Williams' tour diary on U2.com fell silent.

Last night in Toronto, however, Bono finally made the announcement that longtime U2 show designer Willie Williams was in fact leaving the Vertigo Tour, and presumably, the U2 camp, for good, even though Bono "doubts it," saying that, "once you're in U2's family, there's no getting out."

The band then dedicated "Yahweh" to Williams at the close of the show.

willie_trabbie.gif

On behalf of the Interference.com staff and our entire readership, we wish Williams all the best in his future endeavors. To read our April 2004 interview with Willie, go here.

Thanks to chyland!

HelloAngel said:

That information is not currently known to the public.

Haha, you could have just said; "We don't know" :wink:

anyway, Willie Williams leaving...bugger! :huh:

This is definately not a good thing. Willie has been the driving force behind the creativity and ground-breaking innovations that have become synonymous with U2 tours. You don't replace a guy like him. I hope he comes back for their next tour. :(

It is a shame :(

I have nothing to base this on at all but my guess is, he was approached by Pink Floyd to work for them on their rumoured tour. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

...but who knows...it could be something on a personal level, in which case it is none of our business...

He will definitely be missed.

An interesting side note. I watched Toronto I from the soundboard and was actually watching Willie + crew work away. During Electric Co, when Edge starts his solo, they put up a ton of light blue light to illuminate the crowd. The crowd went nuts and I looked over at Willie and he was quite excited (I am assuming this is the first time they tried this lighting effect for this song as they couldn't do it outdoors and I didn't notice it on the first leg...)

Anyway, I wish him all the best and thank him for so many great concert memories...

Cheers,
Brady

That sucks. But, if Willie doesn't do any future U2 tours, they should get Robert LePage, the guy who worked with Peter Gabriel on his last two tours. Secret World, in particular, was a brilliant stage show. I'd definitely rank it with Zoo TV.

:|

Well the Stones are touring now, so maybe he has to work with them for a while.

:confused: Did Bono say Willie is leaving this tour or leaving U2 for good?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom