(09-16-2005) Kings Of Leon Talk More About U2 Stint - Chart Attack*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Kings Of Leon: U2 Officially Their Seventh Or Eighth Most Favourite Band

by Angela Kozak

Whether it's because of their nomadic upbringing, their willingness to yodel through deeply personal songs, or their tendency to name said songs after dental anesthetics, dairy products and buckets, one never knows what to expect from the Kings Of Leon – ChartAttack included. Surprisingly, interview-shy Matthew Followill joined bassist Jared Followill for a chat during a tour stop in Toronto.

Though reserved for most of the interview, the guitarist made an unexpected claim when it ended. "I probably said more in this interview than..."
"...He's ever said..." reported Jared.
"Ever. In any interview."

The last time ChartAttack spoke to you, you said you'd never been to a U2 concert and didn't know what to expect as the opening act. What have you discovered?

Matthew Followill: That it's amazing.
Jared Followill: Yeah, they're fucking awesome, they're one of the best bands ever. Absolutely. They definitely made their way into, at least, my top seven favourite bands, maybe top eight.

So was it a lot of pressure for you, to be opening for them?
JF: It was, I mean, nobody pressured us except for ourselves. Just getting up there in front of 10 or 12,000 people and it only being half-full, but it was still a shitload of people. And we just had to learn how to not give them one second to be able to say something. We'd play a song and then immediately start another one, then immediately start another one. It was like 45 minutes of music and so we barely had a chance to listen to them cheer because we'd just keep playing. Because we didn't want fucking hecklers or anything like that. When we first started, people would be like, "Yeah, whatever" and by the next one they'd be like, "All right" and you'd just keep on and keep on. And somebody would hear a song that they really like and by the end I think we won over a lot of the crowds.

More here (non U2-related): http://www.chartattack.com/DAMN/2005/09/1601.cfm

Last edited:
BEVERLY56 said:
Pretty sad statement - we had to run right into the next song so nobody could heckle us.

Yeah that is pretty sad. I still don't understand how they got signed but that is another story I'm sure.

Ack! The tour is over......I wish they would stop talking about touring with U2. Or if they do, perhaps some polish and a bit of class might help in their responses. Sorry but they just remind me of a bunch of back country hicks being put up on stage to bang out some hokey music. I still don't get it why they toured with U2.

Back
Top Bottom