(09-12-2005) African Well Fund Launches Its Falls Campaign -- AWF*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Where You Live Should Not Decide… African Well Fund Launches New Fundraising Campaign to Coincide with U2’s Vertigo Tour

SCHENECTADY, NY. – Sept. 12th, 2005 – Where you live should not decide … whether you live or whether you die. These words, from the U2 song ‘Crumbs from Your Table’, serve as the inspiration for a new fundraising campaign being launched this fall by the African Well Fund.

Timed to coincide with the third leg of U2’s Vertigo tour, the Where You Live campaign aims to highlight the fact that when it comes to access to clean water, ‘where you live’ is indeed the deciding factor. While the developed world enjoys nearly universal access to clean water even among their most disadvantaged populations, the situation in Sub-Saharan Africa is vastly different. In Uganda, only 56 percent of the population has access to a safe, clean water source, in Angola it’s 50 percent and in Ethiopia just 22 percent. According to the World Health Organization, more than 3.4 million people die each year as a result of water borne diseases. These are preventable deaths, preventable by wells and water projects that cost a few thousand dollars to build.

This fall, the African Well Fund will be asking U2 fans to help raise funds and awareness to help rectify this unjust disparity and to save lives while doing so. We will also be asking radio stations and weekly newspapers to run PSAs and ads highlighting the Where You Live campaign. For more information on how to participate please visit our website http://africanwellfund.org/WYL-Downloads.html.

The African Well Fund is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization that was founded by a group of U2 fans in late 2002. Since that time, the African Well Fund has raised more than $100,000 for clean water programs. Proceeds from the African Well Fund are donated to Africare’s water projects in Africa. Africare is one of the leading private, non -profit charitable U.S. organizations assisting Africa. For more information please visit www.africare.org. The African Well Fund was founded to focus on one achievable goal: providing access to clean water. The African Well Fund believes that access to clean water is not merely a basic human need but a basic human right.

--African Well Fund

I am so happy that there is a orginization that is adressing the long term issues. I could not imagine what it would be like to live in those conditions and my heart aches for the ppl that have no choice but to suffer through that. :sad: I pray that orginizations like AWF get all the support they need. They have my support 100%:up:

you're completely correct, Carmelu2fan. :yes:

And what is really special about the AWF is the fact that it was started by U2 fans and followers who simply wanted to MAKE A TANGIBLE DIFFERENCE FOR GOOD in the lives of some of the world's poorest people.

I've been an active supporter/volunteer with the AWF almost from its beginning in October 2002 and I'll tell you that there's not a better group of sincerely concerned and committed people for Africa around. :up:

Back
Top Bottom