(09-11-2006) The Independent ... By Armani -- MediaGuardian.co.uk*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
The Independent ... By Armani

Mark Sweney
MediaGuardian.co.uk

Giorgio Armani is to follow in the footsteps of Bono as guest editor of the Independent.

It is understood the 72-year-old fashion designer will be editor and "guest designer" of the September 21 issue of the newspaper, in a second media tie-up to raise money for Red, the U2 frontman's campaign to tackle Aids in Africa.

Armani's fashion empire is one of a number brands that have linked up with the Product Red initiative. Other brands to have signed up include American Express and Gap.

Bono guest-edited the Independent for its May 16 issue, resulting in a sales rise of around 70,000 copies--a bigger sales lift than was seen after the London bombings in July 2005.

Simon Kelner, the editor of the Independent, said the Bono issue produced the biggest sales increase--apart from 9/11--he had seen in his eight years at the helm.

Half of the revenues made from the Bono issue were donated to Product Red.

Under the scheme, participating brands created specially designed products--such as a red credit card by Amex and a red phone by Motorola--and pledged to give a percentage of profits to programmes for women and children with Aids in Africa.

Amex last month launched its biggest advertising push to date behind its Red card, featuring Brazilian model Gisele and a Maasai warrior.

The Product Red partnership was the brainchild of Bono and Bobby Shriver, a member of the Kennedy clan and one of America's leading philanthropists.

The initiative follows the singer's involvement with Make Poverty History and Live 8. He also took part in the Jubilee 2000 campaign for debt relief for developing countries.

I wish a famous fragrance or gragrance mogul would offer up a fragrance to be a part of the Red One campaign! I think there would be good money in that idea.

Back
Top Bottom