(09-09-2005) From Patti Smith to Kanye West -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jono said:

you obviously are not personally attached to this situation...
Hopefully not a sole on this planet thinks racism doesn't exist and we should definitley use this as a severe example...just not NOW!! Let's care first~

Rule #1. Dont assume.

I know people that were affected by the disaster, most of them were not black. From what they have told me from actually being there, and not being black, they've seen A LOT of issues related to racism in regards to the 'relief effort'.

Elvis said:

Rule #1. Dont assume.

I know people that were affected by the disaster, most of them were not black. From what they have told me from actually being there, and not being black, they've seen A LOT of issues related to racism in regards to the 'relief effort'.

And you were the 1st to break your rule in assuming that everyone was trying to hide the problem...let people heal from this disaster first and foremost and then we can work on the 3000 year old problem of racism. We don't need a flash in the pan pop star steering us away from the priority of healing for his own attention gainer...am i right?

Elvis said:

I hardly think anyone is confused about this message. He wasnt the only one voicing this opinion... was he?

I do not think that anyone is confused. But he created unnecessary anger that could have been avoided. There are much smarter ways of pointing out an issue like racism. In my opinion, he did more harm than good.

And this is just one issue, I disagree with him in many other ways. That is why I have stated many times that I hope that he does not open for U2, at least for the DC concerts.

bombergirl1978 said:
So yeah, getting back to the thread. Anyone heard which shows Kanye West might be performing at? :scratch:

No clue yet. The only information we have is Kanye West himself telling the Detroit Free Press he'd be doing shows with U2, "Later this year." I'm thinking that it would probably be November or December since it seems like U2.com is announcing openers almost in order.

Vincent Vega said:
Who is Patti Smith, or what kind of music is she making?

She's like the godmother of punk, probably best known for her rendition of Van Morrison's "Gloria." She also did the original version of "Because the Night" famously performed by 10,000 Maniacs on "MTV Unplugged." Patti Smith's "Horses" has been cited by numerous musicians (including The Edge and Michael Stipe) as a major influence.

Go to www.pattismith.net to learn more.

U2girl said:

Being successful because of someone - that is something 50 Cent really shouldn't be accusing others of, being Eminem's prodigy.

Isn't it possible that people are tired of the old "cars, girls and bling bling" hip hop and want something new?

actually 50 was a prodigy of the late jam master jay of Run-DMC. many believe it's what ultimately led to jay's still unsolved murder.

what i'm baffled by is that he calls kanye an idiot and uses 50 cent as his proof.

7ono, give it up. you never liked him to begin with, and you never will either. you don't like his style of music, and that's fine, but to dismiss him for his views which lots of US share is pathetic.

heaven forbid freedom of speach...

go kanye! let bush have it!

all he cares about is trent lott's house.

dsmith2904 said:

She's like the godmother of punk, probably best known for her rendition of Van Morrison's "Gloria." She also did the original version of "Because the Night" famously performed by 10,000 Maniacs on "MTV Unplugged." Patti Smith's "Horses" has been cited by numerous musicians (including The Edge and Michael Stipe) as a major influence.

And also famously, "Rock N Roll Ni**er" which Bono quotes often.

:uhoh:
Uh, in regard to the actual news article that this thread is about...

I'm surprised to see Patti Smith on the list. I thought I remembered seeing some not-so-nice comments about the band attributed to her. Perhaps her relationship with Michael Stipe/REM has helped to bring them together and bridge the rift, so to speak?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
frankly i'd have rather had kanye at any of the garden shows... although patty smith is a nice surprise.

keane's just gonna put me to sleep... beer it is.

You are so funny Headache:giggle:

I was under the impression that Patti Smith didn't like Bono much - if Kanye ends up opening for them, that would be awesome. The two contrasts in the music would be like going to two different concerts.

dsmith2904 said:

Ah, thank you for the good information.

U2dork said:
:uhoh:
Uh, in regard to the actual news article that this thread is about...

I'm surprised to see Patti Smith on the list. I thought I remembered seeing some not-so-nice comments about the band attributed to her. Perhaps her relationship with Michael Stipe/REM has helped to bring them together and bridge the rift, so to speak?

The 30th anniversary re-issue of "Horses" is coming out at the end of November so I think that is probably a driving force behind the two MSG appearances.

OMG!! I just read that Patti Smith will be performing with U2 at their
concert at Madison Square Garden (November 21st/22nd)! wowwww This is like a
dream come true! (Patti Smith Group is my second favourite band! I saw them live at their concert two weeks ago, they were amazing! I love them!)
I wanna live in USA!!
This is just great!

I think it's not just a rumor, because it's written on U2's official
website u2.com in the news section. Wow, that's so cool!
I would die to see them play together!

i skipped through this thread, sorry if it was already answered. Is Kanye opening up for the boys?? Would be cool, not his biggest fan, but it would something fresh.

That's rather ironic that there was what appeared to be bad blood between Bono and Patti Smith at one point. But now here she is opening for U2,LOL. Hmmm very interesting,:hmm: . Anyone know what caused the problems between these two?

BonosBaby12 said:
That's rather ironic that there was what appeared to be bad blood between Bono and Patti Smith at one point. But now here she is opening for U2,LOL. Hmmm very interesting,:hmm: . Anyone know what caused the problems between these two?

Bono introduced her for an award, and got real personal, like he knew her really well. She didn't like it, and told him to Fuck Off.

RademR said:
i skipped through this thread, sorry if it was already answered. Is Kanye opening up for the boys?? Would be cool, not his biggest fan, but it would something fresh.

His name was mentioned in the headline but nowhere in the story so right now there are no dates.

:ohmy: :hyper:

RE: Patti
I've been seeing Patti Smith/Band since they had their "formal" Industry concert debut for Horses back in ....? 76.....

I've seen her many times including at the World Financial Center summer concerts in late summer 03, and last year in NYC's Roseland Ballroom.

She/They {got at least one of her son's playing in the band } still kick ass live! and also are mystical and lyrical.

It should be amazing!

and :hug:s for those here waiting to hear from people down south...etc

dsmith2904 said:

His name was mentioned in the headline but nowhere in the story so right now there are no dates.

I wonder if he's no longer playing w/ U2 cause of the stupid shit he said last week?

*BOOMCHAA!* said:
but no word on the opening act for the end of October (as in the Dallas show)
:|

And no word about the opening acts for LA or Vegas shows. Hmmmm.....or the Portland closing show either. Hmmmm....

And I thought Bono and Patti smith were friends?

MrBrau1 said:

I wonder if he's no longer playing w/ U2 cause of the stupid shit he said last week?

I would be extremely disappointed in U2 if they dropped Kanye just because he spoke his mind and stirred up some controversy.

And I'm extremely jealous that some of you are going to get Patti Smith for an opening act and I'm stuck with lame-ass Dashboard Confessional. :yuck: :grumpy:

I can't believe I am finally going to see my fantasy concert...and from awesome seats.

Patti and U2, it just don't get no better!

I love Patti Smith and I wish I could see her at my show, but yeah I'm confused that she's opening for U2.

Here's the comment she made about Bono (taken from @U2's Fan/Not A Fan section):
"I'm not your mother, Bono. Do your own dirty work. F**k you."

(17th November 2001, MTV News - Comments by Patti Smith after Bono presented her with a lifetime achievement award at the NME awards, and described her as a "sister, lover, and mother".)

Back
Top Bottom