(09-08-2006) U2 Back In The Studio With Rick Rubin, Green Day - Billboard*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sue4u2 said:
There's at least 2 articles on this page one might find interesting.

One about Rick Ruben and what was to be Weezer's new album.
That's been scrapped and they've decided not to use him.(no U2 mentioned)
But the other one, about 8 articles down, under the Trail Of Dead heading, it talks about Trail Of Dead's album getting pushed back to Jan. because of new albums by U2, No Doubt and Eminem coming out at roughly the same time. They are all with Interscope, of course.

I had to read it twice since I thought they were saying something I hadn't heard.
The U2 release has to be the Sydney DVD and/or the new U2 book.
New album would be great of course. :wink:

Complete article: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/33685/Afghan_Whigs_Reunite

That page is over 2 years old.

1. The 5th weezer LP they were talking about was the lackluster MAKE BELIEVE (which was what the band came up with after scrapping the rubin sessions... what i feel was a mistake on their part because it was easily their worst record yet)
2. Those records actually turned out to be U2 (Htdaab) Eminem (encore, his final album since he announced last year he has retired from rap and will produce from now on) and GWEN STEFANI (Love Angel Music Baby.. not NO DOUBT). That was for the holiday season of '04.

So, no, there won't be a U2 album this fall or winter, there won't be another Eminem album (possibly ever), most likely there won't be another No Doubt record now that Gwen has found her biggest success as a pop star solo act, and Weezer certainly won't be recording with Rubin again, and according to another article on pitchfork posted two months ago (and since debunked, but seemingly more true than they would like to admit) there may not ever be another Weezer album.

They're in the studio now. even if they keep a ZOOROPA style timetable, the earliest they would release the abum would be more like spring 07, and even that is pushing it.

I would love to see the next U2 album have some of the same feeling as the last Johnny Cash album -- everything stripped away and down to fundamentals. Listen to HTDAAB and then listen to American Highways V in sequence as I did this weekend; Bomb by comparison sounds overproduced and lacking in consistency, while Highways V comes out as pure and distilled. (Cash singing Springsteen is pure joy.) Of course, U2 and Johnny Cash are (were) at completely different moments in their careers on those albums, but if some of the Cash emotion and musicality could be present in the next album, it would be a pleasant surprise.

Back
Top Bottom