(09-06-2006) U2's Super Bowl Appearance to Be Re-Aired -- AP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2's Super Bowl Appearance to Be Re-Aired

NEW YORK (AP) – The 2002 Super Bowl halftime show, which featured U2 and a touching tribute to Sept. 11 victims, will be re-aired in its entirety on NFL Total Access on the five-year anniversary of the terrorist attacks.

U2 performed three songs – "Beautiful Day," "MLK" and "The Streets Have No Name" in the 11-minute halftime show originally televised by FOX. During the performance, the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks were memorialized as their names were scrolled in lights on a floor-to-ceiling banner behind the band. The show ends with lead singer Bono showing an American flag sewn inside his jacket.

"This is one of the most memorable and meaningful halftime performances in the history of Super Bowl," said Charles Coplin, the NFL's vice president of programming. "As we look back on the five years since 9/11, we felt our fans would enjoy this uplifting show."

The first Super Bowl after the terrorist attacks was played at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans on February 3, 2002. The New England Patriots defeated the St. Louis Rams 20-17.

This was one of the most disturbing U2 performances I've ever witnessed. The music was great. The songs were great. And the tribute was great. But what deeply distressed me was when Bono did the American flag display - I found it creepy and totally unnecessary. At least to me it seemed it played right into that wave of patriotism that shook the nation in the months after 911 and what eventually lead to the war in Iraq as well as the patriot act and other disturbing changes in America. I remember watching it and getting a sick feeling at the end. I'm sure Bono meant well but I think it just played into the patriotism thing a little too much. I've often wondered if the same guy who apparently was distressed by his performance of "Bad" at Live Aid (which by the way was brilliant!!!) was in any way looking back at this flag moment and saying to himself "Ooops".

As always, there's always some fruitcake who is "distressed" by one thing or another....it never fails...personally, I thought it was a great performance and a great tribute to the thousands of Americans who lost their lives on 9/11/01. So what if Bono decided to show off his patriotism?? My hat's off to Bono for doing that. Sorry buddy but 9/11/01 changed everything..I'm willing to lose some of my freedoms to protect my family and my country from those Al Queda fanatics! Unfortunately, it's too late for the victims of 9/11/01.

Awesome! I haven't seen the whole thing since the day it aired.

There was nothing wrong with him showing the flag. It was the right thing to do, especially at that time.

And there's nothing wrong with patriotism!

Last edited:
Firstly let me state that I do not believe myself to be a "fruitcake".
Secondly I DO NOT hate Americans or America for that matter. I have fond memories of the years spent in the United States and the wonderfully diverse characters I came across on my journeys down south. Having said that I do believe that the American Government is evil to the core and the Military Industrial Complex that President Dwight D. Eisenhower warned the American people about established itself after the assasination of John F. Kennedy. I also beleive that the same individuals rid the country of Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy as well. I believe that George H.W. Bush was a main conspirator in many of these evil doings as well as Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and James Baker among others. Believing this one must come to the conclusion that any "support" of this regime must be wrong and I would like nothing more than to sit down with Bono over a few Guiness and discuss his view of this. Remember...this is NOT the America of your forefathers - it has been taken over by evil men bent on nothing but GREED "Money is the ROOT of ALL evil". America has been destroyed by it's so called "elite" - the corporations have taken almost full control of the country - even a man like Lou Dobbs realises this for crying in the soup. So although it may have been meant as a nice gesture by Bono after the attacks of September 11 it still disturbed me. Before you talk of "Patriotism" think of all the destruction America has unleashed on the world after the second world war. It's not a pretty picture. Bono should be politically aware enough to know this - he can be FOR the American people but he should be very careful on how he presents himself. I actually worry about him often. Here's hoping the man knows what he's doing. I think he does.

***Having said all that I still believe that most Islamic Fundamentalist "terrorists" are as well evil to the core so please don't think I'm excusing any actions they MAY and HAVE been involved with.

Last edited:
Harry Vest said:
Secondly I DO NOT hate Americans or America for that matter. I have fond memories of the years spent in the United States and the wonderfully diverse characters I came across on my journeys down south. Having said that I do believe that the American Government is evil to the core and the Military Industrial Complex that President Dwight D. Eisenhower warned the American people about established itself after the assasination of John F. Kennedy. I also beleive that the same individuals rid the country of Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy as well. I believe that George H.W. Bush was a main conspirator in many of these evil doings as well as Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and James Baker among others. Believing this one must come to the conclusion that any "support" of this regime must be wrong and I would like nothing more than to sit down with Bono over a few Guiness and discuss his view of this. Remember...this is NOT the America of your forefathers - it has been taken over by evil men bent on nothing but GREED "Money is the ROOT of ALL evil". America has been destroyed by it's so called "elite" - the corporations have taken almost full control of the country - even a man like Lou Dobbs realises this for crying in the soup. So although it may have been meant as a nice gesture by Bono after the attacks of September 11 it still disturbed me. Before you talk of "Patriotism" think of all the destruction America has unleashed on the world after the second world war. It's not a pretty picture. Bono should be politically aware enough to know this - he can be FOR the American people but he should be very careful on how he presents himself. I actually worry about him often. Here's hoping the man knows what he's doing. I think he does.

***Having said all that I still believe that most Islamic Fundamentalist "terrorists" are as well evil to the core so please don't think I'm excusing any actions they MAY and HAVE been involved with.

If I may jump in, let me say I agree with most everything you have stated above however in the short months following 9/11 I think most Americans were riding a wave of togetherness (regardless of political party...we were all Americans on that day...) but that was very short lived, thanks to GWB and his poor excuse of an administration who quickly divided us up and lead us down a path to an illegal war!!

I think what Bono was doing during that performance was nothing short of showing all of America that he was giving us a HUGE hug of genuine love and support. He wasn't saying, let's go start a war with a country that had nothing to do with 9/11. I did not vote for GWB both times,( and I destest what he has done to my country, because I have family members that have shed blood and died in Europe during WWII for that flag, so don't automatically assume that if someone waves the American flag that they support GWB. That's not true, because I am one of those Americans who still has hope that we can bring glory back to our flag and country someday.
Praying for peace
Jeannie

Even though I completly agree with everthing you have said about this administration, I think you are underestimating a great deal of intellengent, like minded people.
I knew even while I watched U2's performance that night that W would, in some way, try to exploit 9/11 to some republican advantage. Didn't know how far they would go at that time, but I know now.
With that said, I still didn't let it undermind the sheer pleasure of watching U2 and Bono do what they do best, bring people to their feet and also their knees.
That was one of the most profound moments in U2 history.
I don't feel it's cringe worthy nor should the band, nor should you, for that matter.:heart:

Bono meant no harm or disrespect at all. It was an unforgettable performance, that Super Bowl halftime and I will never forget, sitting in my living room on the edge of my seat, with tears streaming down my face, watching with such pride as my favorite band performed a tribute to 9/11 that people all over the world were viewing in awe. The moment Bono chose to open and display his jacket lining was most likely not rehearsed but spontaneous. At that moment I decided I Wanted one of those leather jackets and I found one too! I love it and wear it with pride. Everywhere I go with it people comment about the first time they saw it or they remember the famous photos of Bono standing with the jacket on the world looking at him in awe.

I also agree with what has been said above. I have friends in NY who lost loved ones in the 9/11 disaster. I've had relatives and friends who served this country in the military, some who were killed in action or who were maimed for life for heroicly defending the US. I've not voted for any Bush candidate for the US Presidency nr will I ever. I don't believe GW's done enough positives for this country and it's time for CHANGE. NOW.

I guess I found it a little disturbing, too. I thought it was kind of over the top and unnecessary. I know Bono's heart was in the right place, but I didn't need him to flash the Stars and Stripes like a tacky, manipulative politician for me to know he sympathized with me and my fellow Americans. He and the band had already done that.

Harry Vest said:

A propper response will have me banned.

Needless to say, you've made an enemy.

Bono's shades said:
I guess I found it a little disturbing, too. I thought it was kind of over the top and unnecessary. I know Bono's heart was in the right place, but I didn't need him to flash the Stars and Stripes like a tacky, manipulative politician for me to know he sympathized with me and my fellow Americans. He and the band had already done that.

Stars & Stripes flasher, like tacky manipulative politicians, :eyebrow:

Really sad the performance was wasted on you..

How can you possibly say you know where Bono's heart is when you make statements like this right behind it. Talking out of both sides of your mouth, are you.
In any case, you certainly missed the point.:huh:

I forgot this performance took place at the Superdome in New Orleans. How eerily ironic that the location of U2's tribute to the victims of 9/11 turned out to be ground-zero for another horrific tragedy.

MrBrau1 said:
Wasn't he doing the whole jacket/flag thing well before 9/11?

:yes:

I'm sure its seen in the Boston DVD....So its something he'd done all throught the Elevation tour.

I remember the day this was broadcast, Bloody SBS in Australia were showing some NFL special so from memory the broadcast kicked in at the end of Beautiful Day.....

atikicat said:
I forgot this performance took place at the Superdome in New Orleans. How eerily ironic that the location of U2's tribute to the victims of 9/11 turned out to be ground-zero for another horrific tragedy.

Good observation!
This is off topic, but another observation: Remember during the Chicago Vertigo DVD show during Streets when he change the lyrics to..

"I want to take shelter, from the hurricane, where the streets have no name" That was way before Katrina hit. That's almost prophetic. Weird huh? I got goosebumps when I heard that!

I have a copy of the performance. In the beginning, as Bono is walking through the crowd of MTV teenie boppers, you can see this one dude, with the fake nose and eyeglasses mask, gesturing "L U2" with his hands right in front of the camera, meaning Loser U2.

I also remembering a few a-holes throwing those glow sticks at Bono.

Harry Vest said:
This was one of the most disturbing U2 performances I've ever witnessed. The music was great. The songs were great. And the tribute was great. But what deeply distressed me was when Bono did the American flag display - I found it creepy and totally unnecessary. At least to me it seemed it played right into that wave of patriotism that shook the nation in the months after 911 and what eventually lead to the war in Iraq as well as the patriot act and other disturbing changes in America. I remember watching it and getting a sick feeling at the end. I'm sure Bono meant well but I think it just played into the patriotism thing a little too much. I've often wondered if the same guy who apparently was distressed by his performance of "Bad" at Live Aid (which by the way was brilliant!!!) was in any way looking back at this flag moment and saying to himself "Ooops".

Huh? He wore the flag jacket many times before the Superbowl, and many times after. I think you might be reading too much into this. At the time, all I thought was "U2 playing at an entirely American event....Bono wearing and American flag because he's in America." I'm not sure what Iraq or all the political themes you're citing have anything to do with their performance. Hindsight is 20/20, remember. I'm sure Bono had premonitions about Iraq and the Patriot Act so that's why he wore the flag :rolleyes:

I'm sorry the performance made you sick, but I speaking as an American, think it made me cry.

I don't write that much about my feelings of Bono or U2 but they have been a big part of my life since 1983. I think that people always have a tendancy to read into things more than they should and this happens at all levels. To me, this was a simple gesture of a man performing in front of a huge American viewing audience saying "Hey, you are in our thoughts and prayers and I keep you close to my heart".

And needless to say it was effective!
I don't try to expect to much from my favorite band and because I have kept this view, U2 have rarely let me down.

Chad

Graves are full of indespensible men

Jeannieco said:
Does anybody know if this performance can be put on YouTube eventually? I just looked and it's not there.
I would love to see it again.... I didn't tape it originally. :(

I don't know if it'll be put up on YouTube because the broadcast belongs to the NFL but I'm sure you could find someone willing to send you a copy in our trading forum.

sue4u2 said:

Stars & Stripes flasher, like tacky manipulative politicians, :eyebrow:

Really sad the performance was wasted on you..

How can you possibly say you know where Bono's heart is when you make statements like this right behind it. Talking out of both sides of your mouth, are you.
In any case, you certainly missed the point.:huh:

Why are you biting my head off? I'm not accusing Bono of being tacky and manipulative. It's not his fault I have an aversion to politicians cynically wrapping themselves in the flag - something they have been doing for years, long before 9/11 - that made me wince when he opened his jacket. It's not something I even thought about. It was just a gut reaction - kind of like when I see a picture of Bono with Bush. I know why Bono is meeting with Bush and I totally approve. It's just this little part of me that goes "Ewwwwww!"

BTW, I loved everything else about the Super Bowl performance.

U2FloridaFan said:
I beg to differ. Great game. And it was destiny that the Patriots would win this particular Super Bowl

if by destiny you mean fixed by the NFL, then i agree

Back
Top Bottom