(09-01-2004) Twins Take Stage: Mom, Pop do Know 'Mono from Bono' -- USA Today*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Twins Take Stage: Mom, Pop do Know "Mono from Bono"

By Judy Keen, USA TODAY
NEW YORK ? Barbara and Jenna Bush changed their minds and, giggling the entire time, made their first speeches on prime-time TV Tuesday.

President Bush's 22-year-old twin daughters surprised the delegates at the Republican National Convention when they appeared on the stage of Madison Square Garden. They had resisted campaign officials' pleas to speak. They introduced their father, who was in North Middleton Township, Pa. He then introduced his wife, Laura Bush.

"Jenna and I are really not very political, but we love our dad too much to stand back and watch from the sidelines," Barbara said. "We realized that this would be his last campaign, and we wanted to be a part of it. Besides, since we've graduated from college, we're looking around for something to do for the next few years ? kind of like Dad."

Barbara wore a slinky black top and Jenna wore a brown jacket. They waved at the crowd and blew kisses to Vice President Cheney after joking that they hoped to replace him now that they have graduated.

"You know all those times when you were growing up and your parents embarrassed you? Well, this is payback time ? on live TV," Jenna said. She teased her watching grandmother, former first lady Barbara Bush: "She thinks Sex in the City is something married people do but never talk about."

Jenna also poked fun at their underage drinking incidents by repeating the answer her father gave when he refused to describe his youthful shenanigans. "We spent the last four years trying to stay out of the spotlight. Sometimes we did a little better than others," she said. "We kept trying to explain to Dad that when we were young and irresponsible, well, we were young and irresponsible."

Their remarks were unlike those made by Vanessa Kerry and Alexandra Kerry at the Democratic convention in Boston last month. Vanessa described her father, Sen. John Kerry, resuscitating their pet hamster when they were children. "We had a hamster, too," Barbara said. "Let's just say ours didn't make it."

For the complete text of the Bush Twins' speech, click here.

--USA Today

Hurray for Bono

need i remind you people , that President bush approved 15 million in aid for Africa, while clinton danced around the problem Bono and President Bush made it happen!! and also gave prescription coverage for the elderly. Coseervatives are compassionate. So Mr. Bush DOES KNOW WHO BONO IS!!

Re: Hurray for Bono

BOYO3221 said:
need i remind you people , that President bush approved 15 million in aid for Africa, while clinton danced around the problem Bono and President Bush made it happen!! and also gave prescription coverage for the elderly. Coseervatives are compassionate. So Mr. Bush DOES KNOW WHO BONO IS!!

While Bush may have promised the $15 billion in aid for Africa, he never deilvered on it, and in fact signed legislation to lessen moneys promised to the AIDS/TB/Malaria fund. The prescription drug plan for seniors is woefully lacking. If it was as great as it was promised to be, would seniors be making excursions to Canada to buy decently-priced meds or splitting their pills in half to stretch out a supply as long as possible?

actually he did not sign legislation to lessen the money as you say , check ur facts. Actually the good ol boys network of democrats were instrumental in delaying the proposed aids money to be delayed and diluted. And for your information, my grandmother has already recieved help form the prescription program. she recieves 900 a year towards her medicine. So i have seen it work firsthand, stop reading things from biased media. The democrats wanted this program for themselves. And check again Bush did not hold up any Aids money!!!!

BOYO3221 said:
actually he did not sign legislation to lessen the money as you say , check ur facts. Actually the good ol boys network of democrats were instrumental in delaying the proposed aids money to be delayed and diluted. And for your information, my grandmother has already recieved help form the prescription program. she recieves 900 a year towards her medicine. So i have seen it work firsthand, stop reading things from biased media. The democrats wanted this program for themselves. And check again Bush did not hold up any Aids money!!!!

I'm not going to fight this out with you, this is not the forum for these types of discussions (Free Your Mind is). Check out www.stopglobalaids.com and www.data.org to get the info on what was promised by Bush and what he actually delivered. I am glad your grandmother got $900 a year for her prescriptions, but from my own experience with my grandmother, when you're buying five or more perscriptions a month for around $50-70 each, $900 isn't going to get you very far.

BOYO3221 said:

Please provide a link proving your accusation that democrats were instrumental in delaying proposed aids money.

dsmith2904 said:
While Bush may have promised the $15 billion in aid for Africa, he never deilvered on it, and in fact signed legislation to lessen moneys promised to the AIDS/TB/Malaria fund.[/B]

I guess it might not have been technically signed legistation - but it's Bush's 2005 budget proposal. Here are the facts:

http://www.data.org/archives/000343.php

Thanks for the link, but it shows what i was talking about, as what he proposed in say 1.4 billion congress gave him 1 billion so no matter what he asked for they gave him less, now this in turn also has to do with numerous factors, which would take a million words to explain, so i will put it plainly again, what he proposed was less than original, but he asked for more than congress would give him. We could argue numbers all day the point is to remember, he IS making a difference this is what it all comes down to. President BUsh has done wonderful humanitarian things for Africa and Seniors which for years the dems, who claim to be for the oppressed just gave lip service. Everyone knows the dems hated the fact Bush gave this prescription service toseniors because its what they could not get done in 8 years of clinton. So while BUsh may not be perfect, nor is any President, hy dont people look at what he HAS done and look at Kerrys record and compare. Even Kerry knows he cant run on his record. Thats why he bashes bush all the time. again thanks for the link it was helpful

OK. Y'all need to chill.

The content forum is not the place for a debate such as this. If you wanna go debate something like this then I suggest you take it to FYM, cause this is going downhill FAST.

And if you do go to FYM, I suggest you might want to tone it down a little, or the folks in there will pick you apart. :wink:

Mango said:
Mmmm. Bush twins. :drool:

I totally agree, but I'm distantly related to them, so I guess I shouldn't be looking at them like that.:wink:

BOYO3221 said:
Thanks for the link, but it shows what i was talking about, as what he proposed in say 1.4 billion congress gave him 1 billion so no matter what he asked for they gave him less, now this in turn also has to do with numerous factors, which would take a million words to explain, so i will put it plainly again, what he proposed was less than original, but he asked for more than congress would give him. We could argue numbers all day the point is to remember, he IS making a difference this is what it all comes down to. President BUsh has done wonderful humanitarian things for Africa and Seniors which for years the dems, who claim to be for the oppressed just gave lip service. Everyone knows the dems hated the fact Bush gave this prescription service toseniors because its what they could not get done in 8 years of clinton. So while BUsh may not be perfect, nor is any President, hy dont people look at what he HAS done and look at Kerrys record and compare. Even Kerry knows he cant run on his record. Thats why he bashes bush all the time. again thanks for the link it was helpful

It would be a good idea to supply links to support your statements. I would like to read about John Kerry bashing Bush. As for looking at Kerry's record - he and Bill Frist are pioneers in resolving the global aids problem.

http://www.globaltreatmentaccess.org/content/press_releases/02/051502_HGAP_PS_Kerry_Frist.html

John Kerry was a team player in writing legislation to benefit the global AIDS issue before Bush was even elected into office.

http://www.thebody.com/whitehouse/relief_act.html

DaveC said:
OK. Y'all need to chill.

The content forum is not the place for a debate such as this. If you wanna go debate something like this then I suggest you take it to FYM, cause this is going downhill FAST.

And if you do go to FYM, I suggest you might want to tone it down a little, or the folks in there will pick you apart. :wink:

I agree that this isn't the place to discuss this, however I cannot let statements sit like fact when fact is not presented. People should be informed correctly to make their decisions.

It's funny....President Bush has attempted to and delivered more money to Aids in Africa than any President in a 4 year term, yet all we can complain about is what he DIDN'T get done...U don't agree with him on most of his stances? Fine! U're entitled....but give the man credit where it's due. Ultimately, it's our lovely Congress, BOTH Republican and Democrats that vote how much money gets approved, NOT the Prez. They were 2 busy arguing about wheher 2 send generic or brand name drugs that thousands more per day perished. Come 2gether people. The government is divided, doesn't mean we have 2 b. Whoever it is that wins the election, whether I agree with them or not, they're gonna have my support, and I think we should all unite and push 4 what we believe in. Will U do the same? If U're typing and voicing Ur opinion, and U live in the US, U better b voting, or IMO, U should shut up. That's my 2 cents.

Okay, I think that both sides have now had their say. I apologize for getting into this, I agree with DaveC that this is not the place for these types of discussions, so I am now going to close this thread.

If you would like to debate this or other political topics, visit Free Your Mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom