(08-30-2006) U2 'Where the Streets Have No Name' -- Times Leader*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 "Where the Streets Have No Name"

By Jeff Walker Special to The Weekender
When you think of Irish rock bands, you start near the end of the alphabet. U2 has simply been one of the major forces in rock n’ roll for two decades.

“Where The Streets have No Name” was written and released in their early years. The band’s singer and lyricist, Bono, said he often feels claustrophobic in a city and wants to break away from the values of the city and society in general.

Bono’s idea for a song about “streets with no names” came from a story he was told:

“An interesting story that somebody told me once, is that in Belfast, by what street somebody lives on, you can tell not only their religion, but tell how much money they’re making … literally by which side of the road they live on, because the further you go up the hill, the more expensive the houses become. You can almost tell what the people are earning by the name of the street they live on and what side of the street they live on. That said something to me, and so I started writing about a place where the streets have no name.”

It’s safe to say that these days, Bono and the boys can live on any street they want! “Where The Streets have No Name” finally found a home at the No. 13 position in the country in October of 1987.

Source: “The Joshua Tree,” Propaganda, Issue 5, January 1, 1987

--Times Leader

dsmith2904 said:

Bono’s idea for a song about “streets with no names” came from a story he was told:

“An interesting story that somebody told me once, is that in Belfast, by what street somebody lives on, you can tell not only their religion, but tell how much money they’re making … literally by which side of the road they live on, because the further you go up the hill, the more expensive the houses become. You can almost tell what the people are earning by the name of the street they live on and what side of the street they live on. That said something to me, and so I started writing about a place where the streets have no name.”

That's an interesting story. I had forgotten about that!

I thought Streets had references to Africa, so this thing about Belfast sounds new & interesting to me!!

I thought it was about America, New York in particular, where a lot of the roads have numbers, not names.

Well thats the thing, everyone thinks its something different, but the article implies its just about Belfast. Bit of a let down for people like me who see it as being about Heaven!

Years ago I also read (somewhere) that this song was in particular about Africa. That he got the idea and was inspired when he and Ali spent few weeks living in Africa (following Live Aid).... but I guess it doesn't matter what the true inspiration was - it is amazing song and it is a song that will forever be part of U2.

It's a great song.

I think all of the things mention could be part of the song, Belfast, New York, Africa, and heaven. He spent his time in Africa before, heard about the streets in Belfast, spent time in New York and already believed in heaven. So I think all of that influenced him in writing this song, maybe the streets in Belfast only were the startkick to write the song.

Its such a wonderful song - so personal to everyone, yet it brings everyone together as one at the same time. Very nice indeed. Chicago DVD was a bit of a disappointment as far as Streets was concerned. I hope Zoo TV and Milan DVDs do it justice:)

Back
Top Bottom