(08-30-2004) Lord Henry Mountcharles: The Hot Press Interview -- Hot Press*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Lord Henry Mountcharles: The Hot Press Interview

The current issue of Hot Press features an interview with Slane Castle owner Lord Henry Mountcharles where he talks about the many performers and visitors to his property, including U2, and the infamous fire.

On the recording of "The Unforgettable Fire" at Slane...
OT: Were you banging on the floor of your bedroom going, ?Keep the bloody noise down!??

LHMC: Ha, ha! Well there was a lot of noise in the building! Paul McGuinness really wondered whether I knew what I was letting myself in for. But it was a lovely period. It was also a lovely period of my life. I split up with my first wife in 1982 and I didn?t meet Iona until, gosh, it was October ?84. So it was lovely having lots of people in the building because it?s a pretty big building to live in by yourself.

So obviously there?s a close relationship there. I mean, one of my closest buddies is Adam. And in addition to that, Adam is our young daughter?s godfather. So we would see a lot of each other. And I know all of the band and I like all of them. They?ve been part of the whole Slane thing from the start. And those two U2 gigs were extremely emotional. It was emotional for Bono because of his father?s death. But it was enormously emotional for us because they?d lived in the building, and then The Unforgettable Fire, and then the real fire, and then the decade of reconstruction.

OT: I presume they were in touch immediately when the castle burnt down.

LHMC: Oh yeah. God! It was more interesting to see who didn?t bother picking up the phone. But the band were pretty freaked themselves. It is a pretty bloody weird thing to record an album in the building, to call the album The Unforgettable Fire, and then the bloody place nearly burns to the ground ? and us in it!

To view the article, visit: http://www.hotpress.com/features/interviews/2750238.html?

You must be registered with hotpress.com to access the complete interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom