(08-30-2004) Bono To Appear on FOX's O'Reilly Factor - NYTimes*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl91289 said:
What time is the O'Reilly show on?

It's on in my time zone (central) at 7pm on comcast channel 48. Eastern would be 8pm. I can't say about Pacific which is 2hours earlier than central. Listing's vary in the Pacific zone.

It is also broadcast on FX channel at 11 central I think. I've never seen his show on anything other than the Fox cable channel. :scratch: I really don't catch him that much but lately I've seen some interesting guest on his show.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
:up: as one of the rare interferencers who doesn't believe bill o'reilly to be satan, i will be looking forward to this

I'll second that....it's funny...I understand the majority of members here r liberals, and I have absolutely no problem with that...U're free 2 believe what U like, but from my xperience, those that accuse O'Reilly of being an xtremist right-winger or anti-democrat rarely, if ever watch him. They kinda get tongue-tied when U ask 4 specific xamples. I think this will b an interesting interview.

I tend 2 agree with O'Reilly on most points, but I also think sometimes he opens his mouth about something he knows too little about, but 9 times out of 10, he knows what he's talking about, and if later proved wrong, he's the first 2 say so. I'll b watching....hopefully U will 2.

In Belgium we cannot watch FOX television, but yesterday evening, a part of O'Reilly's show was broadcasted and analysed on Dutch television. He interviewed a guy whose father died in the 9/11 attacks. That guy is anti-Bush and anti-war, a real pacifist. O'Reilly suddenly began to shout at him "you don't have any respect for your late father"
"I'm against the war in Afghanistan because innocent people die over there in a war they didn't ask for" O'Reilly: "They all train Al Qaeda extremists in their camps, so why shouldn't we bomb them?" O'Reilly shouted at that guy till he switched off the poor guy's microphone.
In Europe, or certainly in Belgium, that kind of interviews O'Reilly does, are entirely impossible. In my opinion, he's a fool, a complete extremist, who thinks that only his story is true. He doens't allow any form of criticism. Unbelievable... I never saw anything like that on TV.

I hope he will be treating Bono a little bit more civilised than he did with that guy.

i think it will be a civil conversation that will get slightly heated, but hopefully we will not hear the words "shut up"--unless bono is the one saying them! i do agree with you peter that o'reilly can be so hard to handle. i do watch him sometimes because i try to watch all types of different "slants" on news. o'reilly does not scream and yell at every guest--but he really is on the attack against people who do not use facts and logic to back up their arguments-- bono does not fall into this category by any means.......people expecting a radical left wing rock star will be dissapointed........i am sure bono will actually praise certain republican members of our govt. tonight. we will see.

i am sure bono will actually praise certain republican members of our govt. tonight. we will see.

Please let us know! I think Bono will be very diplomatic, but we'll see...

It would be great if Bono has the opportunity to get across some of the success stories that organizations and foundations have achieved in Africa. It all depends on what mood Bill is in. If he's in a confrontational mood or Bono disputes Bill's knowledge of the subject, then Bill will do his best not to give Bono a word in edgewise. However If he's done his homework he should know Bono knows what he speaking of and will have the facts to back it up. I hope he will give him the opportunity to talk instead of cutting him off or insulting him. We'll see. O'Reilly is as unpredictable as a hurricane. :eyebrow:

:sigh: Does this O'Reilly character have his guests on for the whole show, or just a part of it? Is it an hourlong show? I want to tape it and/or watch it with the sound off until I know that O'Reilly has been civil.

Which I'm just not expecting. If he's screaming at a guy who lost his dad on September 11, then he's worse than I thought.

:shudder:

I guess it's O'Reilly's style more than his politics that I dislike. The yelling, turning off people's mikes, attitude, things like that :(

Even though I might not agree with them, there are some consertative pundits (ex. George Will, William Crystal) who I like to listen too. I guess I just don't like any political show, liberal or conservative, with an overtly confrontational style. It's just seems like confrontation for confrontation's sake. But that's just my opinion :shrug:

Last edited:
Extreme?

Seconds said:
Wow! Bono against a extreme right wing conservative.

As has been pointed out, O'Reilly is conservative on many things, but far from "extreme right", like some would presume me to be.

I am pretty sick of the phrase, "extreme right wing." The only thing it really says is that the person saying it is probably "ultra liberal".

As a pro-life, conservative Christian, I resent being put in a box by someone just because they want to silence the ideas I believe in. I am a U2 fan not only because they are the best band since the Beatles (better in my opinion) but because Bono and the other two Christians have a similar worldview as my own.

Sweeping generalizations like "extreme right wing" or "extreme left wing" say nothing intelligent. What are your ideas? What are mine? If we can't discuss these things in peace and with civility then the factions the the U.S. founding fathers warned against truly divide us today, among the people of Western democracies, who are blessed with the privilege of liberty set forth for us by men whose views would likely earn most of them the title, "extreme right wing".

By the way, O'Reilly is all right, by Sean Hannity is the greatest radio/tv news personality in the world today.

i cannot for the life of me find this show!
i even tried the western broadcast of Fox at 11pm (which would be 8pm EST) and nothing! :yell:
did anyone find this show? anyone see it?
:der:

he's a fool ... who thinks that only his story is true. He doens't allow any form of criticism. Unbelievable... I never saw anything like that on TV.

Welcome to FOXNews! Thanks Rupert Murdoch.

BTW, it will be replayed in about 30 minutes.

Last edited:
anyone who believes bill o'reilly is satan who watched this interview with an open mind and still feels the same way about o'reilly... i feel sorry for you, 'cause your mind is so set on your ideological beliefs that nothing can change your mind. i thought this conversation was wonderful... it was back and forth, agreement, disagreement, nothing un-civil about it... and guess what people... this is how the majority of o'reilly's interviews go. even though i missed half an hour of my wing night beer special at shanahan's irish pub, it was well worth it... great segment :up:

bonobob.jpg

O'Reilly isn't the devil.. just your typical blowhard, occasionally controversial political pundit.

Very compelling argument by Bono.. a true shame its falling mostly on deaf ears.

Foxnews.com has the video of the interview available now as well as a partial transcript.

Yeah, he's conservative in some aspects, but "extreme" is pushing it...I mean, among other things the guy is pro-choice and pro-environment...two aspects that are far from "extreme right wing".

Yeah, he's conservative in some aspects, but "extreme" is pushing it...I mean, among other things the guy is pro-choice and pro-environment...two aspects that are far from "extreme right wing".

Well, actually, he's pro-life. I've been a follower/fan of his since the show started and he has never wavered in his opppostition to abortion. "Pro-environment" is such an arbritrary term, but its probably pushing it when it comes to O'Reilly. The man is a devout Roman Catholic, and as a Catholic he is steadfastly against abortion as well as against the death penalty, the latter does put him at odds with the majority of conservatives, so that might have been what you were thinking of.
O'Reilly connects with Bono as an Irishmen and as a man compelled by Catholicism, but he has always frowned upon throwing money at the problem(s) of Africa.

bono was really, really F-ing brilliant.
not that we would expect anything different, but truly the most amazing thing about this interview is that not even for a second did this conversation involve music or the band or the fact that the greatest rock group of all time has a new single dropping in 3 weeks.
can you imagine any other entertainer with so much invested in a new product that they believe is some of their best work ever not even mentioning it in a major media interview?
anyone who ever questions bono's integrity or genuine compassion is insane.
and oh yeah, he can sing a little, too..........

Headache...the problem is that Bill is only predisposed to be "nice" to those who likely share his POV. Maybe Bono had done some research on this guy or (gasp!) even watched his show a few times...did you catch that comment from Bono right at the start about "It's pretty hard to get an Irish rock star to shut up?" And Bill bleated: "Well, I don't mean 'shut up'..." Probably the only time Bill will ever be made to say something like that to a guest.

Yes, it was polite and civil, but Bill was not going to be impolite to someone whom he'd been hyping to the 10th degree all week. And you can't be uncivil to someone with such a reputation, even though he doesn't share your beliefs. Knowledge of these facts predisposed me to a truce with Bill for just last night, and not any change of mind.

I noticed that his attitudes had not changed. No matter how polite he was in tone, there were things he said that infuriated me. When he said that African men couldn't be educated about using condoms becuase having unprotected sex was "a macho thing", that was a baldly racist statement, and it's to Bono's credit that the fury he no doubtless felt didn't even show on his face. I haven't heard anybody else ever say a thing like that. And when he said, "We overthrew a vicious dictator in Iraq, Saddam Hussein, and polls show that Iraqis are ungrateful for America's sacrifice. Do you think that if we just went in to Africa and spent all our money the Africans would be grateful?" I wanted to slap him. Maybe he was providing an opening for Bono to say his patented "advertisement" spiel, but Bill really was talking from his heart. This is the kind of simplistic thinking that is so dangerous. I wanted to say, "Well, OF COURSE they'd be ungrateful if overthrowing the govt is the ONLY thing we did. Why did we park tanks outside the OIl Ministry bldg in Baghadad and nothing else? Why did we stand by and allow the place to be looted? And do you think they've forgotten Abu Gharib, or that didn't happen? What kind of fools do you think they are??"

My favorite moment in the interview was when Bill tried to corner him about the U.N. not playing a more aggressive role, and Bono firing back with the UN Fund for combating TB Malaria and AIDS being set up by Kofi Annan. That shut Bill up a moment. You could tell Bill didn't exepct a reply to that. Kofi Annan is a favorite punching bag of the neocons, and while it's true the UN has done poorly, they can't be held accountable for all ills.

And at the beginning, when Bono said, "I love the America that opens her arms..give me your tired, your poor, not the America that behaves like an island.." Bill cut him off, but didn't argue with him. You know that if he had been anyone else Bill would have crucified him for that comment.

Teta040 said:
When he said that African men couldn't be educated about using condoms becuase having unprotected sex was "a macho thing", that was a baldly racist statement, and it's to Bono's credit that the fury he no doubtless felt didn't even show on his face. I haven't heard anybody else ever say a thing like that.

I totally agree. I don't know if it was racist but it sure was a bad stereotype. Some people have the same view on that about my country and Latin America. The macho bullshit. I hate when someone says that.

Teta040 said:
And when he said, "We overthrew a vicious dictator in Iraq, Saddam Hussein, and polls show that Iraqis are ungrateful for America's sacrifice. Do you think that if we just went in to Africa and spent all our money the Africans would be grateful?" I wanted to slap him. Maybe he was providing an opening for Bono to say his patented "advertisement" spiel, but Bill really was talking from his heart. This is the kind of simplistic thinking that is so dangerous. I wanted to say, "Well, OF COURSE they'd be ungrateful if overthrowing the govt is the ONLY thing we did. Why did we park tanks outside the OIl Ministry bldg in Baghadad and nothing else? Why did we stand by and allow the place to be looted? And do you think they've forgotten Abu Gharib, or that didn't happen? What kind of fools do you think they are??"

My favorite moment in the interview was when Bill tried to corner him about the U.N. not playing a more aggressive role, and Bono firing back with the UN Fund for combating TB Malaria and AIDS being set up by Kofi Annan. That shut Bill up a moment. You could tell Bill didn't exepct a reply to that. Kofi Annan is a favorite punching bag of the neocons, and while it's true the UN has done poorly, they can't be held accountable for all ills.

:up:

I agree with Bono that the world must do something about the AIDS epidemic in Africa.

I'm not sure I buy his argument that if America takes the lead on this, it'll help America's fight against Islamic extremists.

I guess maybe in places like Sudan and Ethiopia that have large Muslim populations, pockets of terrorist activity and relatively large HIV-positive populations, it'll help. But I'm not sure if the average guy on the street in Iraq, Pakistan or Saudi Arabia will be impressed. I hope I'm wrong though.

Teta040 said:
it's to Bono's credit that the fury he no doubtless felt didn't even show on his face.

Exactly my thoughts. Bono, being such an intellectual and open minded person, must really hate the fact that he has to speak to people like Bill to get his word across.

You have to hand it to the man. He's smart enough to realize that to make a difference, he can't pick sides, atleast no in public.

Back
Top Bottom