(08-28-2005) Crowe Slams Celebrity Campaigners - contactmusic*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
CROWE SLAMS CELEBRITY CAMPAIGNERS

RUSSELL CROWE has launched a scathing attack on A-list charity campaigners including BONO and SIR BOB GELDOF - because he believes they only want publicity.

The Antipodean actor regularly donates to charity outside of the glare of the media spotlight and urges other stars to give quietly without publicly martyring themselves.

He says, "I do my bit to improve the world but I think it's very important to get things done on the quiet.

"I'm sick to death of famous people standing up and using their celebrity to promote a cause. If I see a particular need, I do try to help.

"But there's a lot that can be achieved by putting a cheque in the right place and shutting up about it."

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/crowe slams celebrity campaigners

Yes, if everey celebrity or wanna-be celebrity only puts money on "the right place" it will not be enough because some famous people have to put a spotlight on some places so that also non-famous people get to know what shall be improved.

Bono could just remain quiet and donate a big check (and I'm sure he's given a lot of big checks privately to all kinds of things), but by using his celebrity status to promote what he can accomplish so much more.

I don't understand why people can't understand such a simple point.

More morons coming out of the woodwork now...is this surprising to anybody....no.

Keep throwing phones at people to get publicity that is a much better thing to be doing.

I see both sides of the issue. Russell has a point in that it does get wearisome seeing celebs stand up for a cause, as if it's the fashionable thing to do. You have to wonder how many of the celebs who endorse a particular cause or charity continue to do so once it's no longer the latest thing.

But I'm with Bono on this one. Neither he nor Sir Bob do this because it's cool, or because it's the latest fashionable cause to support. They have made it their lifestyle. Bono has said many times that celebrity is ridiculous, so why not use it in a positive way, and bring some of the focus off him as a celebrity, and onto a good cause like poverty and AIDS in Africa.

As much as I like Russell Crowe, I've just lost a lot of respect for him, if he did indeed make those remarks. (I always take reports like this with a grain of salt.)

Bono has been doing this for 20 years, and will be doing it for another 20 if the world lets him. I dont understand what is wrong about having a celebrity try to educate the public about an issue rather then a historian or a politician doing it. Really what is the difference. Bono isnt stupid and these people act like he doesnt have any background in what hes talking about.

I'd rather see the celebrities getting their free publicity from charity work than out of throwing telephones on hotel clerks. And it seems to me that Bono is not publicizing the amount of money he is donating but the amount of money he is getting out of wealthy people for his causes and I don't think he would be able to get that money without being on the media at all. I didn’t expect Crowe to be such an ignorant shit.

Maybe he just thought nobody realizes him to be a good guy who helps other people, but only as an excentric actor who throws with telephones, yelling at people, slapping people nad so on.
Now he said he doesn't like celebrities telling the press and other people about the problems for example in Africa and what they do to improve those things only that people see that also he is doing things to improve the world.

But since he obviously has no idea what Bono and Bob Geldof really do for African people he better should shut up and talk to people of NCO's and get informed. Then he will realize that it isn't enough only to donate money anonymously.

Why remain quiet? Bono/U2 have worked on various charities and continue to do so.Russell crowe is just a wanker! with comments like that! . Maybe he should form a new band with Eric Clapton...

oscar08 said:
Why remain quiet? Bono/U2 have worked on various charities and continue to do so.Russell crowe is just a wanker! with comments like that! . Maybe he should form a new band with Eric Clapton...
Yes, and they shall call it....Thirty Odd Foot of Wankers!

Why do people think that it's their right to criticize others for doing things which are good for the world?

You don't see Bono going around and criticizing people for not doing what he's doing, so why should others think that they should criticize him (Bono)?

Again, it seems that people are always trying to keep themselves in the news by riding Bono's coattails, even if it is to criticize him.

Russell Crowe should just follow his own advice and QUIETLY do what he does to help make the world a better place.

And QUIETLY stop worrying about Bono. :yes:

Crowe has a point - there are plenty of celebs lending their names to causes they know little about. This, however, is not the issue with Bono. Furthermore, Bono has been doing this for 20+ years. If Crowe has a problem with it now, then why did he wait 20 years to finally mention Bono by name? It's not like Bono suddenly jumped on some bandwagon.

Furthermore, I'd rather see Bono's name in lights regarding Africa's plight than read about another temper tantrum from Crowe. I was never a fan of Crowe, but I gained some respect around the "Gladiator" era. Of course, all his antics since then have caused me to lose said respect. I hope Hollywood alienates him as they are doing to Mel Gibson.

He's missing the whole point. Bono has never tried to get publicity about what he personally donates to whatever cause. He's used his celebrity to get attention for the cause. The Brad Pitt thing with Diane Sawyer was the same. He agreed to do an interview if they focused mainly on Africa. Ofcourse the network agreed because they knew they'd get bazillions of viewers if they had Brad Pitt on. In turn, loads of people that had previously been unaware of the issues in Africa became aware. I thought it was a really smart thing for Brad Pitt to do. Bono uses his celebrity in the same way.

Jamila said:
Why do people think that it's their right to criticize others for doing things which are good for the world?

You don't see Bono going around and criticizing people for not doing what he's doing, so why should others think that they should criticize him (Bono)?

Again, it seems that people are always trying to keep themselves in the news by riding Bono's coattails, even if it is to criticize him.

Russell Crowe should just follow his own advice and QUIETLY do what he does to help make the world a better place.

And QUIETLY stop worrying about Bono. :yes:

Excellent point made! Shows right there just how much class Bono truly has.

As I have stated with other recent quotes & postings here regarding celebrities or reporters who've had unkind/unflattering words about Bono & his charity works: They are entitled to their opinions. However, for this guy, I've got to make an exception & elaborate a bit. :angry:

In reply to Russell Crowe's comment that "... there's a lot that can be achieved by putting a cheque in the right place and shutting up about it." : Yes, Russell, you go ahead & write a check -write several, even! - I know just "the right place" you can put the damn things, too! :madspit:

And frankly, the idea of you shutting up about anything and everything, makes me so feckin' excited that I think I need to go change my knickers. :angry: :angry: :angry:

(Needless to say, I hated Russell Crowe before this. I just have a personal reason to do so now. :yes: )

Bono's shades said:
Bono could just remain quiet and donate a big check (and I'm sure he's given a lot of big checks privately to all kinds of things), but by using his celebrity status to promote what he can accomplish so much more.

I don't understand why people can't understand such a simple point.

My answer to this is that I guess people like to take simple, honest behavior and actions and attempt to "expose" some underlying evil...

For every good, innocent action, I think, sadly, there will always be those who question the "real" motive...

(For the record, I think Bono's the type of person who'd be campaigning for these issues, celebrity or no, because he honestly believes in them. I'm sure Bono has all the fame he needs and/or wants...)

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
Crowe has a point - there are plenty of celebs lending their names to causes they know little about. This, however, is not the issue with Bono. Furthermore, Bono has been doing this for 20+ years. If Crowe has a problem with it now, then why did he wait 20 years to finally mention Bono by name? It's not like Bono suddenly jumped on some bandwagon.

:up:. My thoughts exactly.

Angela

I guess its ok for an actor to become president, but according to Russell a musician can't be more than his music.

Tugger!!! That crikey Bono's been trying to save the world again! Looks like it's time for a foight!!!

snapshot5.jpeg

southparkfightinlogo.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom