(08-28-2005) Crowe Slams Celebrity Campaigners - contactmusic*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
he has a fair enough point...however he's not REALLY in the best position to start talking down to people after this whole phone issue :huh:

When it comes down to it, I'm sure Bono has made a lot of extremely generous donations to charities, too; he just understands that that's not enough to really make a difference.

We all know that Bono's strength is definitely not shutting up. At least he's not filling the pages of Rolling Stone with deeply philosophical ruminations about how wonderful he is, or how much bling bling he has, or his 5 mansions and fleet of luxury cars. I'd much rather listen to Bono talk about the One Campaign than watch some stupid gladiator movie anyway!

I must admit I liked Russell Crowe's "I'll do it my way" attitude about Hollywood celebrity and staying away from the limelight, but people always ruin their good character when they become judgmental :madspit:

hmmm....

I wonder how much of Crowe's charitable/public service contributions AREN'T court-mandated.

:ohmy:

:lol:

It's interesting that, although the *article* mentions Bono and Sir Bob by name, RC doesn't appear to do so. Neither here nor at the contactmusic site are any names in quotation marks, as if he had mentioned them specifically. It would be interesting to know in what context RC's remarks were made.

That being said, this seems exactly like all those people who say that celebrities don't have a right to hold political opinions. Just as you don't give up the right to have beliefs when you become famous, you also don't lose the responsibility to act on them. Bono walks the walk, and I admire him for that.

:whistle: I like russell crowe-but he just doesn't get 'it'! u2 DO alot of charity work but they don't 'blow their own horn' about it! They have been doing it for years! But this issue with Africa is bigger than Bono can do on his own-and he knows it! It takes Countries to help the Continent of Africa!!And, HE does do his homework!!! I can understand there maybe Some people using their celeberty status to get attention for themselves....but this is not the case with Bono! All he had to do..was talk to the man, first!!! :|

Bono's shades said:
Bono could just remain quiet and donate a big check (and I'm sure he's given a lot of big checks privately to all kinds of things), but by using his celebrity status to promote what he can accomplish so much more.

I don't understand why people can't understand such a simple point.

That's exactly right Bono and the rest of U2 have given privately to charities..........and Russell Crowe should shut his mouth,he's the last person who should talk about what other people do.

I can see RCs point. There are celebs who try to bring attention to themselves by promoting a cause. You will notice them doing this sort of thing when they have new movie coming out and they want to get their pic taken. I don't however think Bono is part of that scene. He uses his celeb status to bring attention to the cause not to himself.

And hasn´t Crowe just highlighted the fact that he too gives money to good causes, but under the guise that he is complaining about others gaining publicity.
ie "they are trying to be martyrs, but I´m the real martyr as i don´t want credit for what I do".
If he really thought it best to donate anonimously why bring attention to himself at all?

IF THAT'S ALL IT WILL TAKE RUSSELL, THEN I'LL BE GLAD TO WRITE YOU A CHECK...TO SHUT YOU UP, SO THAT WE WON'T EVER HAVE TO HEAR YOUR LOUSY SINGING IN THAT MISERABLE BAND OF YOURS (30 ODD FOOT OF GRUNTS)!!

I like your acting....and if singing makes you happy even though your band SUCKS...then go ahead and sing! whatever.. But for you to criticise someone else who is doing what they love (and for good cause) outside of their dayjob, then shame on you.

:madspit:

Gladiator or no gladiator...you try hitting me with a phone...and I'll bitch slap yo ass!

The Emperor has decided Russell:down:

Great! Now I have a reason to hate Russell...I liked him, I cant believe he would say something like this about Geldof and Bonos efforts..
It is not like U2 needs publicity!!
What a dumbass Crowe turned out to be!!!...
He should shut his trap and stick to what he is now known for, His stupid temper and throwing telephones at innocent people!!:madspit:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom