(08-25-2005) Pop Schmear -- Columbus Alive*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Pop Schmear

What’s the president been doing during his five-week vacation in Texas, other than clearing brush and ducking Cindy Sheehan? Could he be recording an album? Probably not, but given how cool some of tracks are at ThePartyParty.com, Bush could have quite a career in music. As long as he’s working with the right deejay, that is—someone like Rx, who cut-and-pasted snippets of Bush’s speeches and set them to music.

In Rx’s hands, Bush’s faux folksy delivery becomes something between spoken word and rap on original tunes like the danceable but ridiculous “Dick is a Killer,” about Bush’s relationship with his VP, or “Birthday,” in which he acts as a hype man for Arnold Schwarzenegger. The cover songs are the true highlights, though, for the cognitive dissonance that occurs when you hear Bush earnestly “singing” upbeat remixes of antiwar anthems like U2’s “Sunday Bloody Sunday” and John Lennon’s “Imagine.” Talk about the lion lying down with the lamb.

Rx has Bush indicting himself throughout, as if we’re hearing the good angel on the president’s shoulder rocking out after the devil on his other shoulder has gone to bed. “I don’t see how you can lead this country if you say war would make this world a more peaceful place,” we hear Bush declare on one track. “That’s kind of a fucked-up mentality.” Well, the president would know, wouldn’t he?

—J. Caleb Mozzocco

--Columbus Alive

how dare anyone do anything to disturb the divine vision of the republican party!!!!!!

GEORGE BUSH!!!!! GEEEEEEEEEORGE BUSSSSHHHHHH!!!!!!!

i thank you for liberating the world!!

Back
Top Bottom