(08-24-2005) Geldof, Bono 'only musicians' - News24*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Geldof, Bono 'only musicians'

Hamburg - Eric Clapton, 60, has criticised politically inspired concerts such as Live 8 and said he had "mixed feelings" towards the initiators Bono and Bob Geldof, according to a German magazine.

"I ask myself if musicians ought to act like politicians," said the guitarist, as quoted in the interview in the weekly Stern.

"They're only musicians," he said, questioning where they gained the authority to give speeches. He said that Bono was spending a large amount of his time telling world politicians they were wrong.

Clapton was quoted saying he had not liked Geldof telling the prime minister of Canada to stay away from a concert because he had not been following policies Geldof favoured.

The interview was released by Stern a day before publication on Thursday. - Sapa-dpa

http://www.news24.com/News24/Entertainment/Abroad/0,,2-1225-1243_1759072,00.html

HelloAngel said:
Geldof, Bono 'only musicians'

Hamburg - Eric Clapton, 60, has criticised politically inspired concerts such as Live 8 and said he had "mixed feelings" towards the initiators Bono and Bob Geldof, according to a German magazine.

"I ask myself if musicians ought to act like politicians," said the guitarist, as quoted in the interview in the weekly Stern.

"They're only musicians," he said, questioning where they gained the authority to give speeches. He said that Bono was spending a large amount of his time telling world politicians they were wrong.

Does Clapton have an inferiority complex? Does he think musicians should defer to the other self-appointed experts we elect for office? When I look at Bono and Geldolf, I see two men who are engaged in issues of the heart and soul...and in humanity. When politicians around the world, like Martin, are increasingly ruled by the pocketbook, these guys are effective counters to that...

he seems to have it....but i ask myself
Would he be questioning Bono and Geldof if he'd been asked to perform at Live 8?

How does being a musician automatically disqualify someone from having worthwhile criticisms of governments and their policies?:| Am I disqualified from speaking out on these issues in any public way because of my job (which has nothing to do with politics)? :huh:

didn't he headline the tsunami concert in the millenium stadium earlier this year? i remember that being quite political

unfortunatly this is an example of the apathetic population my country is turning into.

Clapton should remember that he was part of George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh. Harrison basically started all of these charity concerts, and even Geldof is going to be saying so in the upcoming Bangladesh DVD. I think he's just trying to get his name in the news because he has a new CD coming out.

This isn't bashing Clapton, btw. I love the guy.

:madspit: Clapton

i usually hate it when someone critizes any one involved in the arts for having opinions and speaking out- and this no expection.

Yes-- the opinions should be informed as possible, because esp famous people have a wider platform than the averge joe/jane's circles' of family & friends.

But since when does a particular profession "disqualify" you as a citizen of your local area, country or even international issues, since more & more people come to understand in our 21st world how we are very interconnected in many ways.

Edgette...thank you for pointing out the Concert for Bangladesh/Clapton involvement.

I'm kinda a fan of his, i certainly recognize his position as a gutair legend, just don't follw his work much.......so i didn't know he's got a new CD comimng out.

What about the millions of ordinary citizens whose day jobs have nothing to do with politics who organize political events and campaign for candidates and causes they care about - not to mention people who serve for free on the city council in small towns, or on the school board? Being a politician is not how these folks make their living. Why should a musician give up that right as opposed to a hardware store owner or factory worker or farmer or whatever?

BTW, how do we know Clapton wasn't invited to Live 8? the article didn't way whether he was or wasn't. I don't agree with his comments, but I don't think we should assume it comes from sour grapes.

He wouldn't be saying this if he'd beed asked to perform, don't you think?
i dont think he could be such an asshole

The more I think of how quickly and often Bono is bashed for his actions because he is supposedly "just a musician", the more disturbed I become. It is simply amazing about how belligerent people can be about people trying to do good and how quickly they are willing to condemn them for it. When has is ever become disdainful for a person, no matter how successful or wealthy they are, to want to help another? And how much has music changed when people expect it to just sell another magazine or a record rather than change people and maybe even save a life?

It occurs to me that Clapton has given interviews unashamedly promoting an alcohol and drug treatment centre he funded.

If he is going to criticize Bono and Geldof, people can easily respond by telling him to stop using interviews to promote his own 'pet' projects.

Personally I always thought Clapton and Cream hugely over rated but that is just an opinion of course.

Last edited:
well, clapton should be upset. i mean, what a waste of time and effort live 8 was. it didn't do any good...

oh wait...

wait...

the members of the G8 summit doubled aid to africa to 50 billion.

don't tell me it wasn't because of a simultaneous worldwide concert performed for the sole reason of informing the masses of the issue of african aid.

a musician is only a musician if he only plays music.

when a musician helps change the world, he becomes something more.

what would john lennon's legacy be like if all he did was make records. (and what would his musical legacy be like if he let Babyface write his songs for him, mister clapton?)

One wonders whether this is the same Eric Clapton who once encouraged an audience to vote for controversial anti immigration MP Enoch Powell. Sounds like a musician making political statements to me, the same thing he has accused Bono and Bob Geldof of.

http://www.artistopia.com/Music-Artists/Pros/Bio.asp?ID=206&Name=Eric Clapton

Here is an extract. You may find it interesting:-

"Bad Luck Clapton

In 1976 Clapton was the centre of controversy, and accusations of racism, when he spoke out against increasing immigration, during a concert in Birmingham. Clapton said that England had "become overcrowded", and implored the crowd to vote for Enoch Powell to stop Britain becoming "a black colony." The comments would directly motivate the foundation of Rock Against Racism. Despite the damage to his career and reputation caused, Clapton has always steadfastly refused to distance himself from the remarks and denied there was any contradiction between his political views and his career based on an essentially black musical form. At about this time, his name appeared on albums distributed in Japan as ''Eric Crapton''(More Info) though this is probably a case of Engrish rather than innuendo. "

Fuck you, Clapton.

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
The more I think of how quickly and often Bono is bashed for his actions because he is supposedly "just a musician", the more disturbed I become. It is simply amazing about how belligerent people can be about people trying to do good and how quickly they are willing to condemn them for it. When has is ever become disdainful for a person, no matter how successful or wealthy they are, to want to help another? And how much has music changed when people expect it to just sell another magazine or a record rather than change people and maybe even save a life?

:up: I agree with this post 100%. It's a sad world we live in when people are so consistently criticized for wanting to make the world a better place.:(

I find it strange that Clapton is saying this after playing Geldof's LiveAID in '85. and yes, clapton, great idea. lets criticize the humanitarians of the world. that'll do wonders for us all.

I haven't followed Clapton's personal life that much, and don't know much about what he's into but I agree with the comment that it makes him look bad..
and I know everyone has an opinion - :blahblah: - but geez couldn't he pick something/one else to complain about?:bono: ? Bob Geldof?
He obviously hasn't been keeping up with their activism, in that cave he must live in :rolleyes: .. or he just doesn't care... he sould have just side stepped that question or said that's not his thing or "no comment".
I still can't imagin what would prompt him to say anything at all about what any other musician/activist should do.

I was so angry when he stole the 'album of the year' grammy from Achtung Baby back in 93'
Couldn't recover from that one, still angry actually

Shaliz said:
How does being a musician automatically disqualify someone from having worthwhile criticisms of governments and their policies?:| Am I disqualified from speaking out on these issues in any public way because of my job (which has nothing to do with politics)? :huh:

I have always wondered that myself:eyebrow: Why should Bono, a musician not be able to talk about the issues as well as a person like me and you? Does a person have to be a governer or on the senate to speak of issues that effect everyone..We need a spokes person for the ones who are less fortunate, that really do not have a voice. I am very surprised that Eric Clapton of all ppl would say such nonsense:shame:

I've been irritated with Clapton since he released "My Father's Eyes" so I figure why not keep going? :crack:

Nube Gris said:
I was so angry when he stole the 'album of the year' grammy from Achtung Baby back in 93'
Couldn't recover from that one, still angry actually

grrrr i just learned something new

man my respect for one of rock's greatest guitarists has dropped

I personally think Geldolf and Bono did the right thing, and they shouldn't care who says what about them. They got the job accomplished, and should be mighty proud of it. So screw off everyone else who rather let Ethiopians die of dirty water then help.

Including you Slowhand.

I'll never listen to "Layla" the same way again.

and to think I was gonna name my guitar "Layla" just last night...

There are people saying you can't mix music and politics or sports and politics or whatever, but I think it's bullshit.

Adam on Rattle and Hum DVD. I'm not sure if the quote is 100% right, but vaguely.

Back
Top Bottom