(08-23-2005) Pras Does 'Something Crazy' To U2 Favorite With Bono's Blessing - MTV*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Pras Does 'Something Crazy' To U2 Favorite With Bono's Blessing

Rapper's newest single is based on 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.'

HOLLYWOOD — There are many perks to being a member of a politically conscious group. Like, for instance, a direct line to Bono.

"I called Bono and said, 'I'm about to do something crazy and ask you something crazy,' " Fugees rapper Pras recalled recently. "He started laughing. I told him what I was doing. He heard it. He said, 'Look, if it's going to help you, you got my blessing.' So I respect him for that."

What Pras played for the U2 singer is his latest single, "Haven't Found," a remake of sorts of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

"I'm a huge U2 fan," Pras said. "When you go take somebody's record, obviously you've got to be a fan of it. That's the only way it's going to come around the right way and not sound pretentious."

Pras has already shot the video, which can be viewed at www.haventfound.com. Fans can pause it and click on different areas of the screen for details on products used in the clip. "It's a new way to go interact with the videos," Pras said. "It's incredible."

"Haven't Found" is featured on Win, Lose or Draw, Pras' follow-up to 1998's Ghetto Superstar (see "Pras Taps Warren G, R. Kelly For New LP; Talks Fugees' Future"), which includes collaborations with Wyclef and Akon.

And speaking of Wyclef, Pras has reunited with his cousin and Lauryn Hill to work on the first Fugees album in almost 10 years (see "Fugees To Reunite In The Studio Once Hill Finishes Solo LP").

"We've been in the studio," Pras said of the group, which performed at the BET Awards (see "Destiny's Child Give Lap Dances, Fugees End Feud At BET Awards"). "We're trying to figure out how we're gonna do it, but we're working together."

— Corey Moss
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1506897/20050803/pras.jhtml?headlines=true

Wow. Considering how brutally they could have massacred ISHFWILF, it actually sounds pretty damn good. Thumbs up to Pras for reworking an old classic without totally plagiarising it. :up:

Remake "of sorts" is an appropriate descriptor, I think.

The lyrics, for the most part, are new - save the chorus/refrain - whatever you want to call it.

It was alright, I think...

DaveC said:
Wow. Considering how brutally they could have massacred ISHFWILF, it actually sounds pretty damn good. Thumbs up to Pras for reworking an old classic without totally plagiarising it. :up:

I agree -- I was impressed that it wasn't word for word... I actually liked some of the lyrics...

Props for that, I'd say.

Regardless if Bono gives his blessing this is a blatant rip off. Oh sure, it's catchy but what makes it catchy? The back-up singers are singing U2 lyrics word for word. That's why we like it. It still comes down to these so-called artists of a certain music genre are not doing their own music. Actually come to think of it, to call them artists is pathetic. Could you imagine if Van Gogh did a painting and then a few years later another well known painter did one and a portion of it, and a portion of the title even, was the same as Van Gogh's. Outrage would be the answer. Oh sure people are going to want to defend this guy. Go right ahead but for most people this style of music, which is lacking artistic substance, is boring and unoriginal. You can have it.

Wow, I'm surprised so many people liked it. I thought it was crap. The only reason to listen is for the damn chorus we all know. I'm not against reworking or sampling older material but for some reason I don't care for this. Perhaps Kanye West should have produced it.

'Look, if it's going to help you, you got my blessing."

Just the sort of thing that you would imagine Bono saying to someone else.

What an amazing person to be so generous with his time and his blessings for others!:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

U2democrat said:
It's interesting...not particularly my cup of tea :shrug:

That's what I wanted to say... :) I didn't *like* it persay (I may have come across as liking it -- my earlier comments are pretty neutral).

The best part, to me, was the chorus (Gee, I wonder why), and while the lyrics were interesting at times, I disliked the presentation (and I went in being as open minded as I could!).

So yeah - interesting, but nothing compared to the original!!! :)

Last edited:
It is ok for me, it's a lovely song. and then it's not exactly a remake, but it just has a sample of ISHF so ... :up:

Jamila said:
'Look, if it's going to help you, you got my blessing."

Just the sort of thing that you would imagine Bono saying to someone else.

What an amazing person to be so generous with his time and his blessings for others!:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

A bit too generous with that song, IMO. :eyebrow:

The songs terrible, Bono must have blindedly agreed to it and never got to hear it before it was released, surely he can't think it's any good!

i think its great :reject:

i'm generally against u2 songs being used/reworked altogether and rather it wasnt done full stop, but if it must be done then this is pretty cool.

at least its better than "take me to the clouds above"
i wanted to cry whenever i heard that

I think it's ok to sample music. I am not a fan of Hip Hop/Rap but to say that they are not artisits is unfair. Its like saying a Bowler is not an athlete or Golf isn't a sport...who are we to judge what a music artist is or not? A rapper may be more of a lyricist than a musician, but they can and should still be considered an artist.

The one thing it did for me was to make me appreciate how great that song really is and although i love the studio version ( JT ), the R and H is the BEST!! The Gospel feel to this song is obvious when it's done by 4 irish lads, but a little extra "soul" added by the R and B folks is sweet!

Concidering what's been done to other songs (c&c music factory, cher, that whitney thing), this isn't bad. Pras stuck with the original intention of the song. It still has substance. It's not my cup of tea, either, but I hope it encourages some people to think.

As for the VanGogh reference - 3 words: "Marcel Duchamp" and "Dadaists". Look them up.
It's about seeing/hearing familiar things from a different perspective.

U2dork said:
As for the VanGogh reference - 3 words: "Marcel Duchamp" and "Dadaists". Look them up.
It's about seeing/hearing familiar things from a different perspective.

Hey. You're first person to mention Dadaism here since I did.:applaud:

Jono said:
The one thing it did for me was to make me appreciate how great that song really is and although i love the studio version ( JT ), the R and H is the BEST!! The Gospel feel to this song is obvious when it's done by 4 irish lads, but a little extra "soul" added by the R and B folks is sweet!

Too bad the singing this time was done by girls that sound more like teen pop queens than soul/gospel singers.

Other than that, it was better than what I was expecting and I like the message Pras is trying to convey. I can see why Bono approved it.

Back
Top Bottom