(08-19-2004) McCormick Speaks on New U2 Album - HotPress*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
McCormick Speaks on New U2 Album

"I Was Bono's Doppelganger" author Neil McCormick has given HotPress an earful about U2's upcoming album -- it is perhaps the most detail-oriented description of the album thus far that fans have been able to read aside from various fan reports that have shown up on the Interference.com message boards.

Below are some quotes from the McCormick interview in HotPress. Registration is required to read the entire piece.

Regarding the album's name, rumored to be "Vertigo" (which as turned out to be the name of the first single), McCormick states:
"All the song titles and the album title itself that have been circulating are wrong," he reveals. "There?s some powerful disinformation going on there ? probably coming from them! So the album isn?t called Vertigo and none of those song titles that people are probably searching desperately for on the internet are song titles on the album. I don?t know if I?m allowed to divulge the title, if they?re keeping it secret then they?ve got their own reasons to do that. It?s an interesting title, an interesting philosophical idea as a title, and quite a difficult title."

Regarding the new single, "Vertigo," McCormick offers:
"The first single ?Vertigo? refers back to their past," he resumes. "Bono sings at one point, "Hello, hello" and I said, ?You?ve used that line before? and he said, ?Have I? Where?? and I said, ?Well you used to use it all the time basically when you ran out of words! And on ?Stories For Boys?.? And that?s on their first single.

"So their new single refers back to their first. It?s like the early U2 pumped up in the 21st century, a really exciting record. It actually includes my name in it, so I definitely voted for that as the first single! At the end Bono?s singing something like, "You gotta learn how to kneel." And then he goes: "Kneee-heel!" And they were playing this in the studio and at that exact moment they all just looked up and saw me standing there and went, 'Hey Neil!'"

To read the full interview in HotPress, visit:
http://www.hotpress.com/music/news/2748546.html

To read Interference.com's recent interview with Neil McCormick, visit: http://www.interference.com/stories/id94838.html

Regarding the album's name, rumored to be "Vertigo" (which as turned out to be the name of the first single), McCormick states:
"All the song titles and the album title itself that have been circulating are wrong," he reveals. "There?s some powerful disinformation going on there ? probably coming from them! So the album isn?t called Vertigo and none of those song titles that people are probably searching desperately for on the internet are song titles on the album. I don?t know if I?m allowed to divulge the title, if they?re keeping it secret then they?ve got their own reasons to do that. It?s an interesting title, an interesting philosophical idea as a title, and quite a difficult title."

does this confirm "how to difuse an atomic bomb" ?

But Bono's also used the "you gotta learn how to kneel" line before (on "Mysterious Ways"). In fact, Bono often recycles lyrics or general thoughts. Some words, like "sky", were really overused. :) That said, I found Bono used these words quite well and I never felt they were repetitious. Besides, some thoughts and ideas bear repeating. :yes:

HelloAngel said:
McCormick Speaks on New U2 Album
"So their new single refers back to their first. It?s like the early U2 pumped up in the 21st century."

Absolutely everything I have heard about this first single sounds exactly what I want from U2. They are bring Boy into this young new century. And hearing this from Neil and not some causual fan is right on the money in terms of believing.

I am in a bliss right now and I haven't even heard the complete song yet.

Bring it on!

u2ulysses said:
In fact, Bono often recycles lyrics or general thoughts. Some words, like "sky", were really overused. :) That said, I found Bono used these words quite well and I never felt they were repetitious. Besides, some thoughts and ideas bear repeating. :yes:

"Here she comes" is a recurring theme/line also. :)

"There?s some powerful disinformation going on there ? probably coming from them! "

uhmmm, like 'our cd got stolen, quick alert the press?'

HelloAngel said:

I don't want to say I told you so but...

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom