(08-18-2006) Jacknife Lee to Produce U2 Newie -- Hot Press*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ElectricalVoice said:
Funny. My father is a musician, and he fell in love with U2 after hearing Ave Maria and Vertigo.

:eyebrow:

What kind of a musician is your father?

During the summer of 2005, Garret was once again called on by U2 for more additional production and mixes for various tracks featuring on upcoming soundtracks.

Rick Rubin? Quite honestly, this is the worst possible thing I've heard about the future of U2 in a long time. Rick, while legendary, has also pumped out some serious garbage in terms of rock in the last few years. Great, the guy who recently helped bring us Dixie Chicks, Weezer's "final" (and hands down worst) album, and the atrociously bad 'St. Anger' by Metallica. This is seriously awful news.

If Jack Knife is actually producing the whole thing, that would be fantastic. I just want some kind of feeling of cohesion between songs so that it feels like a true "album". That's the one thing How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is missing for me, and it honestly breaks my heart. :huh: Hopefully one producer, or one group of people who work on the whole album, not just little bits here and there, will fix that.

Rubin didn't produce St. Anger...that was Bob Rock.

While I think Rubin would be a breath of fresh air and a kick in the ass, I agree that working with one producer throughout the whole recording process would make for a better album.

I'm hoping the band is getting down to some serious album work, though the timing seem odd considering they're about to do 2 months of touring...:hmm:

Timing seems odd to me, too. According to the Harper Collins web site, they're commited to come to the States for a couple of weeks of book promo, unless they are going to do it via satellite (but I can't imagine Harper Collins would want that given that it's had to wait a year for the book.)

Then there have to be rehearsals for the tour, don't you think? So really there's only about four to six weeks when they can do album work this fall -- not including any political activities that Bono has lined up.

I wonder if Rick, Jackknife and whomever else will start on whatever was done this summer and go through the leftover Bomb tracks to see what can be salvaged, then come back after the first of the year to really have at it.

I don't understand how anyone on this web site can't view this news as good news. After all, it's the new music and tour we all want right? At least for me. Can't wait for whatever this means!

sconti said:
I don't understand how anyone on this web site can't view this news as good news. After all, it's the new music and tour we all want right? At least for me. Can't wait for whatever this means!

I agree completley. And I also don't get all the criticism for HTDAAB. It was a great album that swept the grammy's. Retaining one of the producers from ATYCLB or HTDAAB does not mean the sound will remain the same. In my opinion, ATYCLB was almost just a test session for U2's 3rd masterpiece HTDAAB. HTDAAB did have a common theme running through it... family. As far as the music having one "signature" sound, U2 has proven in the past that you can make a great album with multiple types of sounds. Listen to AB again please.

My best guess is U2 will once again shift gears and put out something completely diferrent no matter who the producer is. It may be that they just feel comfortable with this guy or that he seemed to have a better feel for this upcoming session than the others. It may be that, once again, multiple producers will be working with U2. To be honest, I don't care. I just can't wait for their next album to come out. Whateve day that is will be like Christmas day for me. :)

I liked Ave Maria, One Step Closer, and A Man and a Woman. They were some of the most different U2 songs in recent history, and were good ones at that. :shrug:

If people are going to bash Eno/Lanois albums, don't include HTDAAB.
They barely touched it.

and before you bash Rubin listen to the new Chilis. It's amazing.
I don't think anyone that bashes that album actually owns it or has listened. Don't judge an album by the single.
To those who say Rubin's produced some shit albums - true.
However, as a Producer you need the band to give you something to work with.
The sound of the next album could be pushed in a direction by a Producer but the quality is still going to come down to those four guys in the band.
Edge needs to let loose.
Bono needs to focus.
Larry and Adam just need to do what they always do.
At this point I'm just happy to hear they are in a studio.
it's a wonder Bono remembers what one looks like.

I am excited for any new material by U2 because they are my favorite band. But I have not been impressed with their work with Jacknife Lee. I will remain open minded and hope for the best though.

Yeah, I'm no fan of Jacknife. Although I do like Snow Patrol, I tend to think the production on their two last albums has been a lot like a stinky pile of shit.

Why don 't they just produce themselves???? I'm sure The Edge is tech savvy enough.

dsmith2904 said:

I think the band will always bring in Daniel Lanois and Steve Lillywhite to play a part in whatever album it makes.

That sounds good to me. I'm not a fan of Jacknife Lee either. Still, I do trust the band and I just can't wait for the new album.

I mean, I can. Let them work without stress and be sure that they’ve done something worthy. ;)

cypress said:

Retaining one of the producers from ATYCLB or HTDAAB does not mean the sound will remain the same.

Agreed. While I would like to see them use someone completely different (not Lee or Lanios or Eno or Lillywhite), people need to remember that the same producer(s) does not mean the same sound. Look at the difference between JT and AB.

The Big Life wesite where Jacknife Lee's involvement was first mentioned have now removed the reference to him recording with U2 in September. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom