(08-18-2005) Kanye West To Support U2? - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Kanye West To Support U2?

We think this might be the busiest U2 news week in quite some time. The Detroit News is reporting in an article that current rap wunderkind Kanye West has been picked to open a few dates for U2 "later this year." So, that's two openers we've heard about today: Super Furry Animals and Kanye West.

More here.

Thanks Chrissi!

Yeah. Not a fan. *shrug* I'm going to a few of the MSG dates, and if he's opening for those, I'll go to one, if he doesn't do it for me, I'll just pop in around 8:30-9. Grab a drink or two w/o paying the exorbitant prices at the Garden. While it does kind of irk me that we got Kings of Leon for the first leg and (potentially) Kanye West for the 3rd leg, while Euro got The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, etc, etc, etc and Montreal/Toronto gets Arcade Fire, I'm sure there'll be plenty of people excited about this news, even if I'm not one of them. :wink:

God,almost anyone would be better than the Kings of Leon.

While I'm not a big fan of hip-hop, Kanye West's ideas in his music are very amenable to U2's, so I think it's a good fit.

Brings back the days of the Zoo tour and Public Enemy! :wink:

Jamila said:
God,almost anyone would be better than the Kings of Leon.

While I'm not a big fan of hip-hop, Kanye West's ideas in his music are very amenable to U2's, so I think it's a good fit.

Brings back the days of the Zoo tour and Public Enemy! :wink:

My thoughts also!!!:yes:

Carmelu2fan said:

So how long have you known Mr. West??:eyebrow:

You don't have to know someone personally in order to comment on how he holds himself in the press. He's been lambasted for his arrogance.

Kanye West is full of crapola. :down:

And I doubt that U2 would go with someone this arrogant and of such a different musical style.

They'd better not have this dude for DC... :mad:

I honestly haven't heard much of him. He was playing at my university a year or so ago on a night that I was ushering at the theatre, but it was going on 2am, and he still hadn't come on yet and I had an early class the next morning, so I skipped out before he came on...so basically, all I've heard of him was at the Grammys and then at Live8, and his rant during Live8 kind of turned me off. I know that's probably not fair, but his excessive digging in of the uber rich w/ their Bentleys, etc just seemed a touch hypocritical. I highly doubt he's too hard up for cash of late. I don't know, but it's just a hunch. He had me for a while w/ his speech, but at some point it turned into a (seemingly) hypocritical rant, and something about that rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm sure he won't be any worse than Kings of Leon (I actually like Aha Shake Heartbreak, but they were painful live!). And if he's opening for the shows I'm going to, I don't think I'll be up for seeing him multiple times. I'll give him a go once though...always like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Palace_Hero said:
Kanye West is the best black artist since.. well in memory.

I don't know about that.
What is considered black music has gone downhill since the 90s.
It was better in the 70s & 80s.

OH GOD! Please tell me that this is a joke. This guy thinks he is gods gift to everything and everyone. I get sick to my stomach when his name is mentioned. Heres hopeing that this does'nt go through.

HelloAngel said:

You don't have to know someone personally in order to comment on how he holds himself in the press. He's been lambasted for his arrogance.

If you say so:lol: Sounds like prejudging to me:rolleyes:I recall Bono being called arrogant and I feel in my heart that it is not ture...but I could not know for sure unless I knew him, I would never judge someone on what "others" say .:(

Last edited:
U2@NYC said:
Kanye West is full of crapola. :down:

And I doubt that U2 would go with someone this arrogant and of such a different musical style.

They'd better not have this dude for DC... :mad:

If he is there, then what will you do cry and bitch about it...Or will you try to be a bit more open to other forms of music.
Also, Public Enemy was a different music style as U2 and if I recall that worked out just fine:rolleyes:

Carmelu2fan said:

If you say so:lol: Sounds like prejudging to me:rolleyes:I recall Bono being called arrogant and I feel in my heart that it is not ture...but I could not know for sure unless I knew him, I would never judge someone on what "others" say .:(

I'm not prejudging him. Just commenting on comments Kanye himself has made to the press - not what the press is saying about him (although they too call him arrogant.) His egotistical comments do turn me off, although I think he is a bright light who seems to have a positive message. Because of that, I'd enjoy seeing him open for U2.

Carmelu2fan said:

If he is there, then what will you do cry and bitch about it...Or will you try to be a bit more open to other forms of music.
Also, Public Enemy was a different music style as U2 and if I recall that worked out just fine:rolleyes:

:madspit:

No, I will show up later. Just for the U2 concert.

I already listened to him and think his music sucks. I am pretty open minded to music but his stuff just doesn't click with me.

if this turns out to be true, i really hope he opens at least one of the MSG shows i'm going to... and i'll actually sit through the opener. kanye west is one of the best young artists in music today. a hip hop artist with a real message to his lyrics. he's a breath of fresh air, and i think this is a tremendous idea. i would much rather have kanye open a show i'm going to than arcade fire... and i like arcade fire.

but alas, he is a rap artist, and for some people, anything that has to do with rap is shit, so it's not worth arguing with them. if that's you, and kanye opens a show you're going to, simply skip the opener and grab a few extra brewskies.

Last edited:
He intrigues me, so I'd definitely like to see him open. Of course, I love hiphop, so that's just me.

I like hip hop/rap music, too. From what I've heard of Kanye's music, which, granted, isn't much, I'm not all that into it personally, but meh, if he opens for U2, that's fine :shrug:. Sometime seeing someone live can change one's perspective on their music, after all :).

Then again, right now, though, my big concern isn't who's opening for U2, it's hoping that I get a chance to see U2, period.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom