(08-17-2005) Jesse Helms: Bono's my buddy - The Hill*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Jesse Helms: Bono's my buddy

By Albert Eisele and Jeff Dufour

Former Sen. Jesse Helms (R-N.C.) considers Irish rock star Bono “an enormously impressive gentleman” and a friend of his and his wife’s.

So says the conservative icon in his memoirs, Here’s Where I Stand, due out late this month.

The 83-year-old Helms confesses he’d never heard of the U2 front man before their first meeting in 2001 but his “younger staff members had” and “lined up to get their pictures taken.”

He says he “happily accepted Bono’s invitation to take my family to his U2 concert in Washington, D.C., that week,” although he wasn’t quite as “into” the music as his grandkids, who remain envious of Helms’s relationship with Bono.

Helms also puts to rest the rumor that he and President Carter were distantly related. “[A] careful tracing of the family tree,” he writes, revealed only a possibility that each of their ancestors were neighbors in rural North Carolina.

“It hasn’t always been clear which of us would have been less enthusiastic to see the other guy show up at a family reunion,” writes Helms, who retired after 30 years in the Senate and now lives with his wife, Dot, in Raleigh.

He’s no more kind toward Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), whom Helms found “to be a bit arrogant and overbearing, always looking for a television camera to preen in front of.”

In a foreword to the book, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) includes Helms among those “couple dozen” senators who “stand out in history as … defining leaders of their times.” Frist adds that “it would take ten senators to equal the impact of one Senator Helms.”

http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/UndertheDome/081705.html

I wish we all were more like Bono - able to turn potential "enemies" into friends.

I think that is one of Bono's most outstsanding features.

:angel:

I would like to make his acquaintance for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is his ability to charm the pants off of people like Jesse Helms.

U2democrat said:
Thanks to Bono I almost have respect for Jesse Helms. As harsh as that may sound if you look at Helms' record beyond his dealings with Bono you would understand.

Looking at his record I have a hard time not wanting to punch the man square in the face. Twice.

Blah blah blah (liberal rhetoric) blah blah blah (Helms is satan/hitler/etc) blah blah blah (republicans are evil stupid rednecks) blah blah blah...

Back
Top Bottom