(08-16-2005) Sharon on boring Bono - Radio 1*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MissVelvetDress_75 said:
She expressed what some of us in this forum have been bitching and feeling about this tour.

If you don't mind repeating yourself and possibly opening yourself up to a lot of abuse, what's up with the tour? I'm not seeing it until it hits New York this Fall, and I'm curious to find out from objective fans exactly what's in store for me. My first U2 shows were on the Zoo TV Tour, so I lean toward the more imaginative side of the band's music and performances, though the videos I've seen of all the previous tours seemed electrifying. I enjoyed both Zoo TV and POPmart tremendously, but I skipped the Elevation Tour for various reasons, and though people went nuts over it, I honestly wasn't thrilled by any of the concert audios or videos that were released. The fact that the surprisingly diverse early setlists have morphed into the current static one has me a little worried. How does this one compare to what you've seen before?

Last edited:
Shade said:
So, now that everyone has gotten the initial anger at Sharon's comments out of their system, exactly how exciting are U2's shows, at the moment? Looking at the Vertigo Tour objectively, if possible, is there any reason why someone else with their toes in the business would see this show and say it was 'boring'?

Go to to the 'Tour Forum' to see that discussion. You'll have no problem finding the answer there.

hahah thats the funniest stuff ive heard yet. Maybe after talking to Ozzy for so long she cant understand the english language anymore...its really quite possible since he cant string a full word together without stumbling.

Simon Cowell has made a living by doing nothing, gotta admire a guy like that, but certainly that doesnt make his opinion worth 2 cents.

starsgoblue said:
Not for nothing, but it was her own talk show that was canned because it was so terrible! So whatever!

Yes starsgoblue! I was just going to say that if she wants the definition of boring it was her so-called show that lasted like what... a whole 5 seconds on the air before everyone's collective yawns cancelled it?

"Boring"... yeah that's what comes out of yer tired ol' mouth Sharon Osbourne! Pffft.

mishka
OUT OF CONTROL

I don't see why people have reacted so negatively to Sharon's comments and resorted to personal attacks on her. IT'S PATHETIC.

She made a short, witty and not entirely untrue quip about the boys. And people get all defensive and make snidey comments about her family and their achievements.

Newsflash - take a look at yourselves. This is overreaction at it's finest. Diane L I'm looking at you. Just because she agrees with alot of Interferencers that U2 has become boring, you feel justified in attacking her for having spoilt kids and a brain dead husband?

Turn the other cheek and all that. You can disagree but no need for all this.

:tsk:

And again, people with no knowledge about the music industry blast another person. *

* Maybe I should add 'blast another person who says something not positive about U2.'

Palace_Hero said:
I don't see why people have reacted so negatively to Sharon's comments and resorted to personal attacks on her. IT'S PATHETIC.

She made a short, witty and not entirely untrue quip about the boys. And people get all defensive and make snidey comments about her family and their achievements.

Newsflash - take a look at yourselves. This is overreaction at it's finest. Diane L I'm looking at you. Just because she agrees with alot of Interferencers that U2 has become boring, you feel justified in attacking her for having spoilt kids and a brain dead husband?

Turn the other cheek and all that. You can disagree but no need for all this.
i must ask if you find the shows "boring" this tour, do you have any tickets left?

"she agrees with alot of Interferencers" trust me there isnt "alot" there are a noisy minority who decide because they dont like setlists or whatever they are going to repeat there opinions OVER AND OVER AND OVER, there are many people who are saying they seen their best U2 show this tour, nice to see you didnt mention them,

also am curious, are we not allowed to be "fans" on a "fan site"? arent we allowed to express our opinions against her comments?

oh no wait sorry i just seen your from Oz, so you probabley havent even seen a vertigo show yet, but you still decide that its "boring" intereresting i take it you wont be trying for tickets if they come your way

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

The fact that he probably won't just shows how much more class he has than her. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but this comment just made me laugh :laugh:. As I have already asked in the thread in the "General Tour Discussion Area":

What did Bono once call the French president in public?

BluRmGrl said:
Sharon Osbourne & Simon Cowell are entitled to their opinions.
They are of no consequence to me whatsoever, though, so anything they have to say on ANY issue holds the same interest for me as a cup of day-old oatmeal. :|

:shame: on you guys for letting these two upset you. :wink:

I agree, Osbourne and Cowell are entitled to their opinions. The difference, though, is that they are making their opinions known by anyone who watches their horrid shows or reads news on them. Clearly Osbourne's comment was big enough to get it covered in print! And it's for this reason some are frustrated - we don't have magazines, TV, radio, etc., to voice our opinions.

The Osbourne TV show was a train wreck through and through - and that's the only reason people watched. They wanted to see the addle-brained Ozzy slur his way through the program, while stepping in dog fesces. They wanted to see how many more rounds of cosmetic surgery Sharon would have. They wanted to see how fat Jack would get (the good news is that after rehab, Jack has now cut off those horrible locks and lost over 30 pounds and looks dramatically better).

As for Cowell, his taste in music and stars is obviously lacking. He doesn't see performers, he sees $$. And he's looking to make the most $$ possible. When Reuben won, I think Cowell was disappointed because he didn't think that Reuben fit the mode of a "pop star" and Cowell couldn't wring out every cent he could from the man.

So for Osbourne and Cowell to mock U2 or Coldplay is like the devil mocking God.

U2Man said:

I'm sorry, but this comment just made me laugh :laugh:. As I have already asked in the thread in the "General Tour Discussion Area":

What did Bono once call the French president in public?

WHOA! You're comparing apples and oranges here.

Bono's not commenting on Osbourne's comments is classy. She has her opinion, the show isn't for her, so be it. I would have had a lot more respect for Osbourne had she stated her comments in another way (it's like she was kissing up to Cowell with that comment - but Cowell and Osbourne both wish they were as popular and successful as U2), but so be it, she's entitled to her opinion. Bono's a big man, he can take it.

However, Bono's comments about the French president were stated right after the French government conducted a round of nuclear bomb testing. That's all we need in this world - more nuclear bombs, more radiation, more waste, more destruction. Perhaps Bono should have shown more class there too, but he was taking a stand against nuclear bombing, not doing an attack on someone's concert performance. :rolleyes:

doctorwho said:

WHOA! You're comparing apples and oranges here.

Bono's not commenting on Osbourne's comments is classy. She has her opinion, the show isn't for her, so be it. I would have had a lot more respect for Osbourne had she stated her comments in another way (it's like she was kissing up to Cowell with that comment - but Cowell and Osbourne both wish they were as popular and successful as U2), but so be it, she's entitled to her opinion. Bono's a big man, he can take it.

However, Bono's comments about the French president were stated right after the French government conducted a round of nuclear bomb testing. That's all we need in this world - more nuclear bombs, more radiation, more waste, more destruction. Perhaps Bono should have shown more class there too, but he was taking a stand against nuclear bombing, not doing an attack on someone's concert performance. :rolleyes:

The comment I quoted described Bono as having "more class" than Sharon Osbourne.

I pointed out that Bono has said controversial things in public before in order to gain publicity, too. Exactly the same thing.

And your personal political conviction has absolutely nothing to do with this. Even though you disagree on some policy, you should be able to behave as a grown-up. Especially when the persons who are conducting the policy are democratically elected :rolleyes:

Last edited:
U2Man said:

The comment I quoted described Bono as having "more class" than Sharon Osbourne.

I pointed out that Bono has said controversial things in public before in order to gain publicity, too. Exactly the same thing.

And your personal political conviction has absolutely nothing to do with this. Even though you disagree on some policy, you should be able to behave as a grown-up. Especially when the persons who are conducting the policy are democratically elected :rolleyes:

Bono has said controversial things but he has more class in the sense he doesn't take jabs at other people. (Henry Rollins aside)

I think there is a big difference between a admittedly out spoken singer of the admittedly politically active band making a comment on nuclear tests and a non-provoked lame comment by a publicity-starving wife of a has-been (whose show IS boring) who no one would care about hadn't it been for MTV shows.

U2girl said:

Bono has said controversial things but he has more class in the sense he doesn't take jabs at other people. (Henry Rollins aside)

I think there is a big difference between a admittedly out spoken singer of the admittedly politically active band making a comment on nuclear tests and a non-provoked lame comment by a publicity-starving wife of a has-been (whose show IS boring) who no one would care about hadn't it been for MTV shows.

So you don't think that what Bono said was 'taking a jab at another person'? What did he do then? Do you honestly think he was just making a "comment on nuclear tests"? You make it sound like he was giving a fine, long and convincing political speech to end all nuclear tests. He didn't, as far as I remember - couldn't he have left out the very personal remark? Of course he could....but he wanted the attention and the publicity that he knew he would get. Now, that is lame.

Last edited:
Yes he was commenting on the tests, you conveniently didn't quote the rest of his speech ("what a night!" "what a bomb!" "what a mistake!" "what a ..... you have for president").

U2girl said:
Yes he was commenting on the tests, you conveniently didn't quote the rest of his speech ("what a night!" "what a bomb!" "what a mistake!" "what a ..... you have for president").

Yes, and what I'm talking about is the last sentence. He could have left that out if he wanted to, but he didn't, because he wanted the attention and the publicity he knew it would give him, like I said.

He has the publicity because of who he is, not what he says or does. The media would still report on that speech, that sentence said or not. One word doesn't change the fact he was making a point anyway.

U2girl said:
He has the publicity because of who he is, not what he says or does. The media would still report on that speech, that sentence said or not. One word doesn't change the fact he was making a point anyway.

You are completely wrong. Why did he bother saying it then? If he has so much class he doesn't need to make use of personal attacks to prove his point, does he?

Last edited:
U2Man said:

If he has so much class he doesn't need to make use of personal attacks to prove his point, does he?

It was a comment on president's actions as president of France, not a personal insult.

U2girl said:

It was a comment on president's actions as president of France, not a personal insult.

Apparently, you don't remember what he called him. I can't see what that has to do with the president's office or policy. Honestly, U2girl, you are defending the indefendable here.

U2girl said:

I was answering to your "why did he bother saying it, then?" question.

That referred to the last non-political line of his speech. You haven't answered this question yet.

U2Man said:

Apparently, you don't remember what he called him. I can't see what that has to do with the president's office or policy. Honestly, U2girl, you are defending the indefendable here.

Yes I do remember.

Apparently you don't see the context of his comments.

U2Man said:

That referred to the last non-political line of his speech. You haven't answered this question yet.

I did. Let's try one more time:

Um, he doesn't approve nuclear tests?

Back
Top Bottom