(08-14-2006) Rumor: U2 Greatest Hits CD for Christmas? -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which record deal are you speaking of? There was the original deal that included 3 best of's and then it was renegotiated in 1999, which I don't think all of the details were made public. Maybe things have changed with the third best of.

This is bad. Any new release from U2 should consist of new material. I also fear what a previous poster wrote regarding a bunch of compilations from Aerosmith. I hope U2 isn't headed in that direction.

Yahweh_OMG said:
If they don't release a new album, it means they just look for money and have no more inspiration..... I will be very disappointed.....the end of U2? :huh:

agree :|

I think the whole thing is dumb.

I don't want any live Best Ofs. I don't want a Best Of with songs that should've been on the original Best Ofs. I don't want a Greatest Hits based off of those billboard rankings. I don't want a Best Of with a few new songs on it, but mainly just old songs we've all heard a billion times already.

I don't want any of that stuff until they put out a new album. A whole album.

Save all the Greatest Hits crap until they retire. That's what I think.

If this is true, another greatest hits, then U2 have found a new low. To be fair, I think its absolute crap and theres no truth in it BUT if this is a next step for a Christmas release best of then the U2 of today are on the same level as all the other money making mediocre shit thats out there. A best of album after 1 release of new material? Mmmmm I don't think so somehow, although nothing would surprise me as far as the U2 of today is concerned!:wink:

It wouldn't make sense to release another Best Of before the end of the decade. They are in the studio now, have said that they also have stuff left over from the HTDAAB sessions ("Mercy," "North Star," etc.), and Bono keeps saying how they are "still hungry" and still want to be the biggest band in the world. Why would they just stop short of a new album to release another greatest hits collection in the middle of the decade? Why wouldn't they just release the new material? This just doesn't make any sense.

Unless: it's a Thirtieth Anniversary CD of some kind to sort of go along with the book U2: by U2. But it would still seem odd to release a CD at Christmas after releasing the book in September.

I think someone at Rolling Stone got their wires crossed. They probably heard about U2 in the studio and about the book and jumped to conclusions about a Greatest Hits. At least I sure hope so.

Oddly enough, I was just thinking last night about how much I don't like Rolling Stone and why.

BigMacPhisto said:
How about this in a series of remastered compilations......to be followed by a UF-RH retrospective, along with one for AB-Pop.

U2: Volume One

1. Out Of Control (from U2:3) *
2. Stories For Boys (from U2:3) *
3. Boy/Girl (from U2:3) *
4. Another Day (from the single) *
5. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (from the single) *
4. A Day Without Me (first single from Boy)
5. I Will Follow (second single from Boy)
6. Cry/The Electric Co. (Live) (from the digital album, Live From Boston 1981) *
7. Fire (first single from October)
8. Gloria (second single from October)
9. October (from October)
10. I Fall Down (from October)
11. Tomorrow (from October)
12. A Celebration (from single) *
13. Party Girl (b-side from "A Celebration" single)
14. New Year's Day (first single from War)
15. Two Hearts Beat As One (7" Edit) (second single from War) *
16. Sunday Bloody Sunday (third single from War)
17. Seconds (from War)
18. Drowning Man (from War)
19. 40 (fourth single from War - German release)

* Indicates first-ever release on a CD album.

PLEASE NO REMASTERING. These days most all remasters sound horrible do to the massive over compression being used by mastering engineers.

This just dawned on me. Could this new disc be a re-working of the Pop-era songs? After reading U2 on U2 or whatever it's called, I was reminded how the entire band wishes they could redo that album with new lyrics, new sounds, etc. This would make perfect sense given that they'd be focusing on prewritten material. It would be a perfect side project, and wouldn't require much more than overdubs and the like.

Plus, I mean...Bono's hair is returning to the PopMrat era...

:)

Dang it, I just read the official announcement of the new greatest hits package. I was hoping for a new Pop album. Oh well :)

Back
Top Bottom