(08-13-2004) The Ones That Never Were -- VH1*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
The Ones That Weren't

VH1 in the UK has compiled three top-100 lists looking at singles from the past 15 years. U2's "With or Without You" came in at No. 14 on the list of "The Ones That Never Were," songs that should have been number one but somehow fell short. Robbie Williams' "Angels" topped that list.

The other two lists countdown the greatest and worst number ones.

The three countdown shows are airing on VH1 during the upcoming bank holiday weekend. "The Ones That Never Were" premiers Aug. 30 at 11:30 a.m.

To read all three lists, visit VH1 UK.

--VH1

Aw, I wish they'd show this in the U.S.

Lots of really good songs on the greatest #1 list and the "Ones That Never Were" list.

As for the worst one...aw, I like "99 Red Balloons" (I also remember seeing Billie's "Because We Want To" on this one music channel we used to get in our old town-The Box Hit List one or something...god, that was back in, like, '98? Holy crud...

I also liked that Billie song, too. Same with B*Witched's "Cest La Vie" song :reject:...).

Also...haha, Bob The Builder and the Teletubbies actually had #1 hits there? :laugh:...o-kay...

Angela

There are some incredibly dubious choices in here...

Lady in Red was one of the WORST #1's? I admit it wasn't amazing but it wasn't THAT bad...

And how is Tatu in the BEST #1's list (#42)??? Were the writers stoned?

A lot of those in the "Ones that Never Were" list I could swear were #1...

^^^ Yeah, I thought for sure that Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn" was a big hit. Oh well :shrug:

Anyway, three U2 songs in the 'Never Were But Should Have Been' list. Not bad, I say :wink:

Moonlit_Angel said:
Aw, I wish they'd show this in the U.S.

Lots of really good songs on the greatest #1 list and the "Ones That Never Were" list.

As for the worst one...aw, I like "99 Red Balloons" I also liked that Billie song, too. Same with B*Witched's "Cest La Vie" song :reject:...).

Angela

I like those, and Barbie Girl too :reject:

There is a lot of junk on there I never heard of, must be British.

Heh, cool ^^^^. I didn't mind "Barbie Girl", either. :p.

The thing said that this was for the UK VH1 channel-some of those songs were hits here in America, but not over there, hence why they're on there. I don't think this is going to be shown over here, just over in Europe.

Angela

I know for a fact that "With or Without You" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" were both #1 hits in the states. In Britain they weren't. To be honest, if a song makes it to the Top 3 it shoulnd't be included in these lists. It's another fact that most songs in the Top 3 are within a few dozens play of each other, and therefore a technically of this sort is dubious and misleading.

And, yes...VH1 is out of ideas.

what a crap list, the list itself is a crap idea (i had a long nite)

Last edited:
I kind of disagree with those U2 choices - I think Pride should have been a No 1, given the sh1te that was going on in the charts at the time and I DO think that With Or Wothout You should have been a No 1, but I'm not of the opinion that EVERY single released off The Joshua Tree should have reached the No 1 spot - it's good to keep life varied.

I do believe that there should have been a couple of No 1s yeilded from Joshua Tree as it's such a fantastic album and it was a beacon of light in a musical desert, but I think that the singles from Unforgettable Fire were/are very under-rated.:scratch:

Back
Top Bottom