(08-11-2004) Beautiful Pay; U2 Spend EUR10Million on Album - The Mirror (Ireland)*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
BEAUTIFUL PAY; U2 SPEND EUR10MILLION ON ALBUM

BYLINE: PAUL MARTIN

Ed Note: Interference reader Diane L has sent in the following article that appeared in the August 11th issue of The Mirror, Eire Edition.

U2 will splash out an incredible /10million promoting their new album as they bid to make it their biggest ever. The stars have been locked in meetings with their record label Island to plan their spectacular comeback.

The Dubliners are to spend a fortune on a massive TV advertising, poster and publicity campaign around the world. And they have secretly called in a top Hollywood movie director to make the video for their first single.

The album, rumoured to be called Vertigo, will be followed by a massive world tour, taking in more than 50 cities.

A source close to the group told me: "This is the biggest money they have ever spent on promoting an album.

"They believe it is their best work ever and they want the whole world to know it's out there.

"The money will be ploughed into a huge publicity blitz, the likes of which no band have ever done before. Their last album was big but this is going to be even bigger. Fans won't believe what the band are planning."

The album is set for release in November and is expected to top the charts around the world. Their new work was plunged into crisis in July when a pre-copy of their album went missing from their French recording studio.

Bono threatened to release the new album online at Apple's Itunes Music Store if tracks from the missing CD were leaked illegally on the web. But his worst fears haven't been realised and now he's determined to make U2's new album their biggest seller ever.

"He's so hyped up about this and really wants to give it his best shot," added the source. "All the band have been discussing ideas for the first video.

"They have been talking to a great film director but I can't reveal his name yet.

"The budget for the promotion has been signed-off by their record company and it's all systems go for the return of U2."

Many thanks to Diane L!

Last edited:
i like hype

wow.

even if it sucks, we'll be convinced it doesn't by the lights and lasers.

:slant:

Re: (08-11-2004) Beautiful Pay; U2 Spend EUR10Million on Album - The Mirror (Ireland)*

:ohmy: and so it begins....

This article made me smile. Bono's an excitable little thing ain't he? hehehe.

Sounds great, can't wait for all the hype to start!

Finally.

After literally YEARS of rumors, gossip, and speculation, it finally feels like something real is happening.

I am getting very excited for this, and it's good to see the band putting so much into promotion. (I think you have to when you reach their age, if you want to make it big.)

I'm not getting my hopes up too high...The higher the expectations, the harder the fall if it doesn't meet those expectations.

But exciting news, indeed.

Wow, i didnt want to get my hopes too high for the album, but this just raised my expectations. 10 mil is a lot to spend for promoting. it should be some tour then too:)

I could care less if they said this wasn't their best work. They have yet to disappoint me. Every single U2 album release is like a holiday to me. It's like Christmas X 10!

Hmm...wasn't the first single due out in September? They better get that famous director quick for the accompanying video....we're approaching the middle of August already. Not sure when they need the single out (before end of October?), to be considered for grammy's et al for this year (not that should be a huge consideration). Anyone know?

lol, i'm sure it will be a good, maybe even a great album, but that article sounds like a lot of HYPE if you ask me. just saying i wouldn't put too much stock in an article like that- i mean, they even TELL us it is going to be the heaviest marketed album ever.....

The U2 promo's can't start soon enough - if I see or hear another thing by Jessica/Ashlee Simpson who have had a promo blitz all summer - my ears/eyes will start to bleed
So please,please, please U2 start blitzing - now

Side note - do you feel that U2 will be at the VMA's? Yes, I still watch those shows - I am weak :)

Don't need a 10 Million Euro market campaign. Just need new album. Soon. :crazy:

Although, this seems to be concrete news, for a change. That's a plus.

I know U2 are probably as hyped as all of us are for the upcoming tour and CD but I really don't think they would need to spend THIS much money on promo for it.

For U2, less has always been more. The TRULY memorable U2 performances are those where there has been little flash and a WHOLE LOT OF HEART. :up:

I loved ZOO TV and POPmart too, but I will always remember the tours like UF and JT, and of course, Elevation as those U2 moments that touched my life the most.:hug:

U2 could simply stand on the top of a building, or in the middle of a street and draw a crowd - is all the hype necessary? :scratch:

Just a thought...

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

Wow this is great. One of the most exciting news so far to me!!!! :hyper: I like the big, megalomaniac U2. I love those big ass promotions where you see the band's face everywhere. I love U2 and I am extremely proud to be a U2 fan and I'm sure this album is going to rock like madness so it will be very cool to see them on the TV, radio, on posters and all of that. U2 is a hug band with 35 years of experience and unfortunely people tend to loose faith in bands with this age so the bigger now the better. I say bring it on cause that's just the way I like it! :evil:

TheBrazilianFly said:
U2 is a hug band with 35 years of experience

25, actually... :)

I'm just a little worried that they might over-hype the album. It's been my experience that things (movies, CDs, books, whatever) that are hyped to the max rarely live up to said hype. Plus there might be a big backlash; people going, ":madspit: Oh, jeez, not those arseholes again!!!" when U2 pop up on TV / Radio / Billboards / movie screens / what have you.

In some cases, less is more. I'd suggest they use a little less on the promotion and let the music speak for itself. If it really is as good as they believe, it won't need the ?berhype. :yes:

I think this is really great news and cant wait for the hype to build up around the album. Bring on the TV commercials, posters, everything. Some real news is finally coming around, and Im very intrigued by who the director for the first single will be. I think starting soon for the next year u2 will dominate my life (they do already pretty much though). I can honestly say 2001 was one of the best years of my life, and the elevation tour had a role in that.

Back
Top Bottom