(08-09-2004) Bono would be speechwriter if he wasn't singer - Ireland Online*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono would be speechwriter if he wasn't singer

Bono says if he wasn't a rock star, he probably would have made a living as a speechwriter for causes he believes in?..and he admits that he doesn't think some of his lyrics are very good.

The U2 frontman says that when he now listens to "Bad", which the band performed at Live Aid in 1985, he isn't impressed with the lyrics and doesn't think their 1987 hit "Where the Streets Have No Name" rhymes very well.

However Bono says the band manage to capture a "spirit" rather than aim for craftsmanship in their songwriting.

He maintains that "you can have 1,000 ideas - but unless you capture an emotion, it's an essay".

U2 are due to release a new album in November, the band's first since 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=113574220&p=yy35749z6

I'm not saying that Electrical Storm is perfect, but I think that there are also some good lyrical moments in the song, such as:

"You're in my mind
All of the time,
I know it's not enough."

That's an interesting and insightful verse regarding personal relationships that continues to stick with me.

Zoocoustic said:
"The air is heavy, heavy as a truck..."

Ugh. I still cringe.

Other than this one line (which isn't *that* bad, IMO), I think the lyrics to this song are quite good. Everyone attacks the song for this one line, but forgets the rest. The idea of love being the equivalent of an electrical storm (which is not a common phrase in English) is quite interesting.

If you want to attack lyrics, go after "With or Without You" or my all-time favorite example of bad Bono lyrics, "Ultraviolet". Can you throw any more "baby, baby, baby" lines into that song?

TheFirstBigW said:
I'm not saying that Electrical Storm is perfect, but I think that there are also some good lyrical moments in the song, such as:

"You're in my mind
All of the time,
I know it's not enough."

That's an interesting and insightful verse regarding personal relationships that continues to stick with me.

Thank you!

Those three lines are VERY insightful - almost sad and desperate sounding. More than enough to make up for the truck analogy. :yes:

I think Bono would have made an EXCELLENT speechwriter! :yes:

He has a wonderful grasp of how to put words together to paint images and stir emotions - both essential traits to a good speechwriter. :wink:

I'm glad that he finally found a career for himself in case this music thing of his doesn't work out!:laugh:

GREAT little piece on the B-man.

But, BostonAnne, was there a larger article that this piece came from? From your post it seemed like maybe there was. :hug:

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: ;)

TheFirstBigW said:

"You're in my mind
All of the time,
I know it's not enough."

I've never had a problem with the lyrics to Electrical Storm either. Truck doesn't bother me.

"You're in my mind
All of the time,
I know it's not enough.
If the sky can crack
There must be some way back
To love and only love"

Sticks with me too. :)

Oh...that article. The one I haven't had the time to read yet.:laugh:

Thanks, U2luv.

IT'S NOT WHAT MAKES YOU WEAK, BUT WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STRONG.....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Aww, i think Bono's being hard on himself.
oh, and valentina, i wrote a story about an alternate universe in which he was my music teacher!

Bad and Streets having subpar lyrics?!?!

Bad is........BAD?!?!?!

I am, suffice to say, somewhat dumbfounded.

Oh, and in "Electrical Storm," I think "the sea it swells, like a sore head" closely rivals "heavy as a truck." Oh Bono, where has your gift for lovely similes gone? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom