(08-07-2006) INXS Singer Hutchence Set for Movie Resurrection -- Hollywood Reporter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
INXS Singer Hutchence Set for Movie Resurrection

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Two filmmakers are so worried about the handling of late INXS singer Michael Hutchence's legacy that they are making a movie about the Australian rocker before it gets tarnished any further.

The project, "Slide Away," has been in development for some time, but gained momentum following last year's reality TV show "Rock Star: INXS," where unknown singers vied to fill Hutchence's shoes, according to producer Clark Westerman.

Unimpressed with the low-rated series, Westerman persuaded an initially reluctant Nick Egan, a British music video director and Hutchence pal who shot many of the band's clips, to take the helm of the project.

"I said, 'Somebody else is going to do it, and they are not going to do it as well as you would because you knew him so well,"' Westerman recalled.

Hutchence's death in November 1997 made international headlines and stunned fans. He was found in a Sydney hotel room, the apparent victim either of suicide or accidental death via autoerotic asphyxiation. He was 37.

Westerman said: "That is not the memory of what we are after, and that's not the story of who the man is. What we are aiming for is the journey through a person's life via their head."

The deal was a complicated yearlong affair, with the filmmakers acquiring the cooperation and participation of Hutchence's trust and the cooperation of his brother, Rhett. But it reportedly raised the ire of their father, Kel. The filmmakers are now sifting through Hutchence's catalog.

The project's name comes from a posthumous duet that paired Hutchence with U2's Bono.

Egan directed many of the videos from INXS' late-'80s/early '90s heyday when it ruled the charts with tracks from its "Kick" and "X" albums. He also worked with the likes of Motley Crue, Oasis, Alanis Morissette, Mick Jagger, Duran Duran and one-time Hutchence paramour Kylie Minogue.

While I like the idea of someone telling a more rounded version of Michael Hutchence's life story, I don't think there's a man in this world who can properly fill his shoes.

I agree. I really like Hutchence and was stunned by his death. I still am. I refused to watch any of that INXS TV show to replace Hutchence - I just couldn't see anyone doing those songs justice (especially some unknown). It'd be like trying to have a TV show to replace Bono - impossible!

dsmith2904 said:
While I like the idea of someone telling a more rounded version of Michael Hutchence's life story, I don't think there's a man in this world who can properly fill his shoes.

:yes:

He was great :drool:

Carek1230 said:
I wonder what Bono's contribution would be in such a film on Hutchence. I am sure he would be involved in some way, they were so close.

I also heard about the plan of a film on Michale Hutchence's life, in that version rumours said Johnny Depp was asked to act in the role of Michael's. Well, INXS are still my second favourite rock band (of course, U2 have been the favourite one for about 20 years)and I really appreciated and respected Michael, and I think his life shouldn't be filmed as on the one hand his tragedy was really shocking and the reason for his death wasn't inspected properly until this time:sad: , and on the other hand no one can sing the way he did! I read somewhere, that Michael's family protested against the idea of such films.

Well, Johnny Depp is a very good actor but he shouldn't accept to act in this film.

Hutchence's vocals weren't fantastic (i.e., he wouldn't be included in the Bono vs. Mercury debate ;) ) but he was a fantastic pop singer. He had good range and a full voice - that was especially good at sultry. I'm sure he influenced Bono somewhat (perhaps on AB the most). Bono's often said he might have swagger, but no soul (or working on soul). This was definitely Hutchence - the man was all swagger.

A film about his life would actually have a large part dedicated to partying! LOL! Yes, near the end there was the trauma brought on by Yates (and clearly that woman had a LOT of issues). I can't help but wonder what would've happened had Hutchence never got involved with her - would he still be here? Would his partying have slowed down enough to prevent that infamous night in November 1997? Still, he was a partier and there were quite a few stories of how INXS members would hire women to go clubbing with them (call them super glorified call girls :sexywink: ).

I'm not sure Hutchence is famous enough to get much interest in a film. INXS had their hey-day in the late 80's and early 90's, but they were no Johnny Cash. And Depp is a bit old to play Hutchence when he was younger. Hmmm...

doctorwho said:
Hutchence's vocals weren't fantastic (i.e., he wouldn't be included in the Bono vs. Mercury debate ;) ) but he was a fantastic pop singer. He had good range and a full voice - that was especially good at sultry. I'm sure he influenced Bono somewhat (perhaps on AB the most). Bono's often said he might have swagger, but no soul (or working on soul). This was definitely Hutchence - the man was all swagger.

Sorry ace, but I have to disagree. Take a listen to Hutchence's final solo album. That album was all about soul, and could not have been much farther away from swagger. It was a broken, depressed man singing about everything that was going wrong in his life and struggling to keep it together.

You are painting in very broad strokes about Hutchence. Have you read a book about him? I believe he was a deep individual, who battled addictions, whether they were women drugs, or fame. But in the end, he was a deep soul who crafted and sang songs from his heart. He was more than a pretty-boy singer.

Misconceptions like yours are the reason a proper film about Michael should be made.

Cheers.

The whole idea of replacing Hutchence with that TV show was silly. It bothered me that the band was willing to do that. It's not that he was just "so amazing" in his singing. It was his stage presence , his personality aand energy. You just don't replace people like that. You start another band, and try something else, that could also be good.

Back
Top Bottom