(08-06-2004) Scientist says Ireland is lost island of Atlantis - CNN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Scientist says Ireland is lost island of Atlantis

DUBLIN, Ireland (Reuters) -- Atlantis, the legendary island-nation whose existence has been debated for thousands of years, was actually Ireland, according to a new theory by a Swedish scientist.

Atlantis, the Greek philosopher Plato wrote in 360 B.C., was an island in the Atlantic Ocean where an advanced civilization developed some 11,500 years ago until it was hit by a cataclysmic natural disaster and sank beneath the waves.

Geographer Ulf Erlingsson, whose book explaining his theory will be published next month, says the measurements, geography, and landscape of Atlantis as described by Plato match Ireland almost exactly.

"I am amazed no one has come up with this before, it's incredible," he told Reuters.

"Just like Atlantis, Ireland is 300 miles long, 200 miles wide, and widest across the middle. They both have a central plain surrounded by mountains.

"I've looked at geographical data from the rest of the world and of the 50 largest islands there is only one that has a plain in the middle -- Ireland."

Erlingsson believes the idea that Atlantis sank came from the fate of Dogger Bank, an isolated shoal in the North Sea, about 60 miles off the northeastern coast of England, which sank after being hit by a huge flood wave around 6,100 B.C.

"I suspect that myth came from Ireland and it derives from Dogger Bank. I think the memory of Dogger Bank was probably preserved in Ireland for around 3,000 years and became mixed up with the story of Atlantis," he said.

Erlingsson links the boundaries of the Atlantic Empire, as outlined by Plato, with the geographic distribution of megalithic monuments in Europe and Northern Africa, matching Atlantis' temples with well-known burial sites at Newgrange and Knowth, north of Dublin, which pre-date the pyramids.

His book, "Atlantis from a Geographer's Perspective: Mapping the Fairy Land," calculates the probability Plato would have had access to geographical data about Ireland as 99.98 percent.

Previous theories about Atlantis have suggested it may have been around the Azores islands 900 miles west of the Portuguese coast, or in the Aegean sea. Others locate it solely in the long-decayed brain of Plato.

Copyright 2004 Reuters.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/08/06/ireland.atlantis.reut/index.html

Well, sure. It is just fiction, but it appears that "Atlantis" was described around the physical description of Ireland. I don't see this article actually claiming that Ireland was filled with super-people.

The whole Atlantis myth just seems like a modified "morality tale" of Noah's "Great Flood" myth, and isn't too different from some myths that arose regarding the collapse of the Roman Empire. It always concludes with humans knowing too much for their own good, rebelling against deity-imposed ignorance, and then the aforementioned deity or deities destroying everything. Basically, these kind of tales are easy ways to keep people from rebelling against the status quo, because you don't want to end up "smote" like those rebellious cultures from long ago, now do you? :eyebrow:

I find it interesting, though, that, after thousands of years, Plato likely had the last laugh on us, depicting the tale after a real place! Pretty cool, if you ask me.

Melon

Comparing Atlantis with the Flood? I don't even know where to start, so I'll just say this: May God have mercy on your soul. :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom